By Innocent Anaba
Rights activist, Mr Femi Falana, SAN; President of ECOWAS Court of Justice, Justice Jerome Traore; Chairman, Nigeria Coalition for the International Criminal Court, Mr. Chinonye Obiagwu; President, Institute of Chartered Mediators and Conciliators, ICMC, Mr Emeka Obegolu and a cross section of civil society organisations, have decried the reduction of judges of ECOWAS Court of Justice from seven to five.
They also took a swipe at member states who are in the habit of disregarding and disobeying the judgments and orders of the ECOWAS court, stressing that such action threatens the very existence of the court and the union.
Falana and others, who spoke at a two-day consultative meeting on strengthening the ECOWAS Court of Justice and enhancing access to justice in the West African sub-region, held in Abuja, said the reduction was already having adverse effect on justice delivery in the sub-region.
The meeting was organised by the Nigerian Coalition for the International Criminal Court and TrustAfrica as part of efforts at improving service delivery of the ECOWAS Court.
Speaking on Deploying the ECOWAS Legal Architecture for addressing Impunity in West African sub-region, Falana said, while the court has recorded remarkable success, particularly in upholding human rights of citizens in the sub-region, regrettable, the decision of the ECOWAS leadership to reduce the number of judges of the court from seven to five will soon lead to congestion of cases and undue delay of justice.”
Aligning with Falana’s position, President of the ECOWAS Court of Justice, Justice Troare, admitted that the reduction has actually slowed down the pace of the court in delivering justice in the sub-region.
“If with seven, the court is encountering some challenges, what will it do when it is reduced to five?” he asked.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Melaye not been fed for 48 hrs; police, hospital management, volunteers refuse to help
- Police boss ignores Senate invitation; follows Buhari on state visit
- Senators rally House to impeach Buhari
- Access Bank profits plunges in Q1 of 2018
- Performing a monologue before V.P Osinbajo remains remarkable for me – Anyaduba
- How to Rest in God and Overcome Challenges
- FAAC cancels meeting over poor revenue returns by NNPC
- Shareholders commend Access Bank’s consistent dividend payout
- U.S Consulate spearheads human rights campaign
- ANAP queries FG over concession of airports
- Sale of UK subsidiary will not disrupt services, says Diamond Bank
- Melaye laments plights in police custody
- ISIS, not herdsmen responsible for killings – Doyin Okupe
- Policeman kills motorcyclist over N50 bribe
- Seafarers kicks over Marine Police extortion at sea
- Half of Nigeria-bound vehicles discharged in Cotonou port, says PTML
- Dear Buhari, what if the youths are lazy and entitled?
- TRAGIC! Man Who Survived Helicopter Crash Gets Sliced To Death During Rescue By Another Chopper
- Presidency Reacts To House of Reps Summoning Buhari
- PHOTO: Sick Nigerian Women Receiving Drip Under A Tree
- Lagos Govt. Approves Murder Trial of Husband of Lady Killed In Banana Island
- Protest In Senate Over Buhari’s Withdrawal of $496m Without Approval
- Subsidy increasing as rising oil price pushes petrol landing cost higher
- Here Are Ways To Whiten Your Teeth
- Outrage as gunmen kill more people in Benue State
- Dino Melaye In Handcuffs, His Arrest Forces Senate Shutdown
- Buhari To Be Summoned By House of Reps As Herdsmen Killings Gets Out of Control
- N322m 'Fraud': Delta Senator To Spend 2 Days In Prison
- Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Project: N64B Has Been Approved
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Buhari, south-south chairmen in collusion to ensure Tinubu’s ally eases out APC chairman Oyegun
- Banks refund N654m excess charges on FAAC accounts
- Too Much Killings: Reps Call For Sack Of Service Chiefs, Pass Vote Of No Confidence
- Life and times of Pa Ibidapo
- Customs have reduced smuggling on waterways – Comptroller
- Police hand-cuffs Sen. Melaye on sick bed, bars Saraki, others from visit
- MTN proposes $500m IPO – SEC
- DPR to shut down unlicensed petrol stations
- Buhari strengthens alliance with Tinubu
- Why we think Wenger was forced to resign