By Innocent Anaba
Rights activist, Mr Femi Falana, SAN; President of ECOWAS Court of Justice, Justice Jerome Traore; Chairman, Nigeria Coalition for the International Criminal Court, Mr. Chinonye Obiagwu; President, Institute of Chartered Mediators and Conciliators, ICMC, Mr Emeka Obegolu and a cross section of civil society organisations, have decried the reduction of judges of ECOWAS Court of Justice from seven to five.
They also took a swipe at member states who are in the habit of disregarding and disobeying the judgments and orders of the ECOWAS court, stressing that such action threatens the very existence of the court and the union.
Falana and others, who spoke at a two-day consultative meeting on strengthening the ECOWAS Court of Justice and enhancing access to justice in the West African sub-region, held in Abuja, said the reduction was already having adverse effect on justice delivery in the sub-region.
The meeting was organised by the Nigerian Coalition for the International Criminal Court and TrustAfrica as part of efforts at improving service delivery of the ECOWAS Court.
Speaking on Deploying the ECOWAS Legal Architecture for addressing Impunity in West African sub-region, Falana said, while the court has recorded remarkable success, particularly in upholding human rights of citizens in the sub-region, regrettable, the decision of the ECOWAS leadership to reduce the number of judges of the court from seven to five will soon lead to congestion of cases and undue delay of justice.”
Aligning with Falana’s position, President of the ECOWAS Court of Justice, Justice Troare, admitted that the reduction has actually slowed down the pace of the court in delivering justice in the sub-region.
“If with seven, the court is encountering some challenges, what will it do when it is reduced to five?” he asked.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Saraki Reacts To Fayemi's Victory In Ekiti Governorship Election
- PDP governor differs with colleagues, party on Fayemi victory
- Lawmaker arrested for arming suspects with pump-action guns
- Flying Eagles return, set to conquer ‘tough’ Mauritanians
- Croatia coach attributes success in Russia to holy rosary
- Onyekuru completes Galatasaray loan switch
- There is crisis in NFF —Dalung
- Delta Stars take on Go-Round in Mid-season Club Friendly
- NBBF calls 28 players for World cup Camp in Atlanta
- Anbode rescues stranded Nigerians in Russia
- Why the nose dive of Nigeria players playing big time Football
- “FIFA won’t invoke its Statutes in Nigeria if there was no interference”
- Ekiti: Atiku cautions PDP, Fayose supporters
- President Buhari Reacts To Fayemi's Victory In Ekiti Election
- SCARY! Gunmen Ambush & Kill Policemen At A Checkpoint In Edo, Set Them On Fire
- VP Osinbajo Celebrates His Wife With Sweet Words
- Woman Robbed & Killed While Going Home At Night (Photos)
- Ekiti Governor-Elect Fayemi Reacts, Makes New Promises
- "We Were Chained Together & Covered With Tarpaulin For 10 Days" - Kidnapped Reverend Sisters
- Breaking: Chris Okotie seeks APC, PDP mandate to lead Nigeria
- Footballer Obafemi Martins Shows Off His New House n Lagos
- PDP Rejects Ekiti Election Outcome, Says Results Were Concocted By APC And INEC
- NYSC fake certificate scandal: Buhari denies holding meeting with Bakare, Adeosun
- Political torments in Ekiti: NBC shuts Ekiti Broadcasting Service indefinitely
- Ekiti: Fayemi wins as PDP calls for annulment
- Ekiti: Unbelievable but true, story behind election result
- Boy With Windswept Legs Overjoyed After Undergoing Surgery To Correct Deformity
- Flood Destroys Property In Ogun State, Over 10 Persons Killed
- INEC Declares APC's Kayode Fayemi Winner Of Ekiti Election
- Lagos House of Assembly Member Arrested Over Guns Found With 'Criminals'
- Notorious Kidnappers Arrested During Ransom In Delta
- Update on Adeosun’s fake certificate scandal: Controversial certificate not issued by NYSC – former DG
- 5 Key Considerations For Purchasing A New Smartphone
- Dino Melaye Thanks Goodluck Jonathan For Completing 85% Of Abuja Light Rail
- Loaded Car Plunges Into River After Somersaulting 3 Times
- Ekiti Election: APC Candidate Fayemi Wins (Full Details)
- Boyfriend Used Charms On My Daughter – Ex-Ondo Deputy Gov
- Ekiti TV, Radio Shut By NBC After Fayose Announced Results
- Obasanjo Agrees To Lead Coalition To Defeat Buhari In 2019
- PRAYER FOR TODAY