By John Mkom
Jalingo—CHAIRMAN of Taraba State Council of Chiefs, the Aku Uka of Wukari, Dr. Shekarau Angyu Masa Ibi, Kuvyo II, yesterday, said Nigerians have lost confidence in the Military following alleged connivance with herdsmen and other bandits to unleash mayhem on innocent citizens.
Dr. Ibi spoke when he received the Army Probe Panel investigating allegations of military collusion with armed bandits in Taraba and other parts of the country.
The monarch, who thanked the military leadership for setting up the panel, noted that “it is a known fact that Nigerians have lost confidence in the military in spite of their track records of successful peace missions in other parts of the world.
“I want to remind members of the panel that Nigerians, who are crying for justice, are expecting much from you. Nigerians expect you to be just and fair in your assignment and only a fair, just and transparent report of your panel can restore the lost image of the military.”
Traditional Council’s stance
Presenting the position of Wukari Traditional Council before the panel, the Adviser to Aku Uka on Media and Legal Affairs, Danjuma Adamu, said the expectations of the people of the area from Exercise Ayem Akpatuma had not been met, as attacks and killings were still ongoing.
Chairman of Wukari Local Government, Daniel Adi, in his submission, enjoined the panel to check with the Police Area Command in Wukari for some of the case files involving military personnel in aiding movements of the attackers.
Earlier, Chairman of the Probe Panel, Maj. Gen. Joseph Nimyel (retd), sympathised with the Aku Uka over the loss of lives and destruction of properties as a result of series of crises in the area.
He informed the monarch that they were in the state as an independent panel to investigate allegations of collusion levelled against the Military.
Nimyel added that the panel will report its findings to Army Headquarters in Abuja, Taraba State Government and Federal Government with a view to helping the authorities in their future dealings.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria’s tiers of government share N647.39 in March
- Buhari condemns killing of priests, worshippers in Benue Church
- Lagos IGR hits N103.4bn in first quarter of 2018
- Police explain why Dino Melaye was arrested for interrogation
- Massive corruption evident under Buhari, says US report
- Melaye jumps out of police van, lands in hospital
- Order Saraki, Melaye, others to refund ‘illegal N13.5m allowance with interest’ – SERAP tells court
- Nigeria, Saudi Arabia in faceoff over attempts to block pilgrims
- Boateng: We can only stop Ronaldo as a team
- New corps members’ allowance dependent on new minimum wage – DG
- NSE marks Earth Day, seals corporate recycling MoU with RecyclePoints limited
- NCC withdraws 41m Starcomms, Zoom mobile, others numbers
- NBC accuses Daar Communications of violation, stops FM radio
- Herdsmen turn on Catholic church in Benue, kill 27 worshipers in 4 days
- Saraki, Senate abandon Melaye
- Zenith Bank’s Q1 results indicate strong improvements
- Henderson: Salah will stay to break more Liverpool records
- NSE: Equities record marginal decline, trend to continue if….
- 419 Gang Who Dupe People With Fake Currency Nabbed In Lagos
- Living The Life Of A True Christian Who Can Make Heaven
- Save Lagos Group laments infrastructure decay in primary schools
- Nigeria gets $1.5m interest on returned Abacha loot
- Who Left Over N1Billion In An Account But Can't Claim It?
- Ex-President Bush Hospitalized Days After Wife’s Death
- Offa Robbery Update: Affected Bank Sacks 5 Staff
- Man Escapes Tragic Death As Car Is Crushed By Big Truck
- There's A Plot To Kill Me - Dino Melaye Cries Out
- Offa Attack: Five bank staffers sacked; top police officers linked
- Bishop Oyedepo berates Buhari: Your government is a failure, God is angry with you
- The “approved” $1 billion for arms purchase
- Wading into the Oba-Emir Debate
- Melaye alleges plot to assassinate him
- Obama Foundation introduces new programme for emerging leaders in Africa
- APC Chairmanship: Oshiomhole’s candidature suffers setback
- Lagos Policemen Chased My Son To Death - Father
- Dino Melaye: They snatched my passport, I snatched it back
- EFCC Arrests Ibori’s Man, Senator Nwaoboshi Over N6B "Fraud"
- Lagos Security Man Arrested For Impregnating His Daughter
- Melaye trapped, helpless as police speaks on reinforced siege
- Dino Melaye surrenders