By Davies Iheamnachor
PORT HARCOURT— President Muhammadu Buahri has approved further healthcare intervention in the communities of Ogoni, Rivers State, to alleviate the suffering of residents of the area following much exposure to oil pollution.
This came as the Movement for the Survival of Ogoni People, MOSOP, pleaded with the people of Ogoni ethnic nationality in Rivers State to be patient with the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project, HYPREP and the Federal Government as they work out modalities to clean up the devastated environment.
HYPREP had on Saturday flagged off an eight-day health outreach to attend to the health needs of the people of the area and obtain records which would help them in the data and analysis of ailments in the area, as contained in the United Nations Environmental report on Ogoniland.
Speaking at Taabaa community during the flag-off ceremony, Coordinator of HYPREP, Dr. Marvin Dekil, disclosed that President Buhari approved the health intervention to preserve lives in the area.
Dekil said: “The success of the outreach programme got to President Buhari who was touched by the poor condition of the Ogoni people due to the degradation of their environment by oil exploration.
“The president therefore, graciously approved another round of medical intervention to reach more people. That is the reason we are here today.
“We have brought with us medical personnel to drive the programme. We enjoin you to cooperate with them by providing your bio data. We will be in each local government area for four days. Two days for general consultations, dental and eye care, among other medical services, while the remaining two days are designated for surgical operations.”
Meanwhile, the President of MOSOP, Mr. Leborsi Pyagbara, has commended the health outreach going on in some communities of Ogoni, stressing that it will help ascertain the level of sicknesses and diseases in the area to help HYPREP in its data collation.
He said: “Yes, the health programme is timely because the UNEP report talks about the restoration of livelihood and this is part of it. It is timely because it will help HYREP in their data collation for data base on the impact of the spill in Ogoniland.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- N10bn contractors’ payment: Adeosun debunks illegal transactions
- Skill acquisition: Lagos trains 18,184 women, youths in three years
- Why You Should Stop Worrying About Making A Big Impact
- We Are Not Lazy, Nigerian Youths Reply President Buhari
- Femi Falana Raises Alarm Over N1.4Trillion As Subsidy Monthly
- SARS Men "Torture" Man With A Pregnant Wife To Death
- 'NEPA' Fights Back: There'll Be Chaos If We Don't Continue Estimated Billing
- Pregnant Teenager, Pastor, Two Others Killed By Rivers Cultists
- 5 Ways To Identify Quality Ankara
- PDP Replies Buhari: Nigerian Youths Are Not Lazy
- Update On Senate Invasion & Mace Theft Saga
- Notorious Gang Leader, 20 Others Arrested
- Fayose, Obanikoro, Omisore Lose Over N2.2B; court freezes Fayose's accounts again
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Lagos completes 450 roads in three years
- Kidnapping: Evans‘ll not escape justice – Lagos Govt
- Lagos Waste: CSNAC asks EFCC to investigate ownership, operation of Visionscape
- Senate Mace Kidnap: When Nigeria lost 109 Senators in one swift terrorist attack
- EFCC about to sabotage own $1.6 bn suit against Omokore, others
- Osinbajo eulogizes Nigerian youths for great strides
- Lagos signs MoU to collate data of persons living with disabilities
- Court remands Buhari’s nominee in prison for alleged N182m fraud
- Shun purchase of pre-registered SIMs to avoid scammers, NCC warns
- Sterling Bank deepens investment culture, launches new mobile app
- AMBON set for official unveiling
- Access Bank increases ATM withdrawal limit abroad
- Mixed reaction trails Police recovery of stolen mace
- PDP in emergency meeting, may change name today
- Hotel owner, others arraigned in court over Offa bank robbery
- Saraki lauds colleagues, Reps for upholding democracy
- Appeal Court freezes Fayose’s accounts
- Reps back Adeosun over Gwarzo’s suspension
- Tension as military, police take over NASS
- Justice Abang speaks on Metuh’s sick-bed prank
- OC SARS commits suicide in Ogun
- Mace theft: Senate summons IGP, DG of SSS
- Police promotes Magu, 2 others
- Kirikiri prisoners enroll for PhD
- How 5 thugs beat 250 NASS guards to steal mace
- FG to criminalise abuse of local content policy