By Davies Iheamnachor
PORT HARCOURT— President Muhammadu Buahri has approved further healthcare intervention in the communities of Ogoni, Rivers State, to alleviate the suffering of residents of the area following much exposure to oil pollution.
This came as the Movement for the Survival of Ogoni People, MOSOP, pleaded with the people of Ogoni ethnic nationality in Rivers State to be patient with the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project, HYPREP and the Federal Government as they work out modalities to clean up the devastated environment.
HYPREP had on Saturday flagged off an eight-day health outreach to attend to the health needs of the people of the area and obtain records which would help them in the data and analysis of ailments in the area, as contained in the United Nations Environmental report on Ogoniland.
Speaking at Taabaa community during the flag-off ceremony, Coordinator of HYPREP, Dr. Marvin Dekil, disclosed that President Buhari approved the health intervention to preserve lives in the area.
Dekil said: “The success of the outreach programme got to President Buhari who was touched by the poor condition of the Ogoni people due to the degradation of their environment by oil exploration.
“The president therefore, graciously approved another round of medical intervention to reach more people. That is the reason we are here today.
“We have brought with us medical personnel to drive the programme. We enjoin you to cooperate with them by providing your bio data. We will be in each local government area for four days. Two days for general consultations, dental and eye care, among other medical services, while the remaining two days are designated for surgical operations.”
Meanwhile, the President of MOSOP, Mr. Leborsi Pyagbara, has commended the health outreach going on in some communities of Ogoni, stressing that it will help ascertain the level of sicknesses and diseases in the area to help HYPREP in its data collation.
He said: “Yes, the health programme is timely because the UNEP report talks about the restoration of livelihood and this is part of it. It is timely because it will help HYREP in their data collation for data base on the impact of the spill in Ogoniland.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Suspect Escapes From Court Room In Lagos, Jumps Into Canal
- Young Boy Abducted By Ritualists In Benue, Abandoned In Abuja
- Female Student 'Tied' Her Roommates' Destinies Over Money
- Father Mbaka Warns Buhari, Others Of Impending "Danger"
- Check Out The Super-Cool Mercedes X-Class (Latest Edition)
- Pretty Lady Set To Marry In August Dies In Fatal Accident In Delta
- Iran threatens US with ‘mother of all wars’
- MPR to stay unchanged on sustained risk of capital flow reversals – analysts
- Nigeria’s inflation rate rises month-on-month
- First Bank commences Nigeria-China currency swap
- Nigeria’s new national carrier on shaking grounds
- Woman Suddenly Collapses, Dies During Church Service In Delta
- Nigerian Drug Trafficker Sentenced To Life In Prison (Photos)
- Footballer Ighalo & Wife Rock Matching Outfits In Style
- Female Professor, Army Officer Shot Dead By Gunmen On Abuja Road Last Night
- Here's Where To Buy The Best Snail In Abuja (Fresh or Cooked)
- UNIZIK Final Year Student Dies Moments Before His Last Paper
- SARS Torture Musician In Lagos, Accuse Him Of Being Yahoo Boy
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Stole My Mandate - Billionaire Ogunbiyi
- Saraki Reacts To "Juicy Offer" To Him By Buhari Presidency
- Some Forces Pushed Me To Defile Girl, says 52-Year-Old Man
- Fayose’s Arrogance Caused PDP’s Defeat In Ekiti — Sen. Kashamu
- Female Permanent Secretary’s Son Hangs Self Over Failed Business
- Start Preparing To Leave Aso Rock - PDP tells Buhari
- Buhari a joker if he thinks he’ll win in 2019 – Adebanjo
- Ex-President bags another 8-year jail term for corruption
- Osun 2018: Dancer Senator Adeleke wins PDP governorship ticket
- CAA ASABA 2018: Phyno, Harrysong to thrill fans as ticket sale begins
- 25 Falconets in Austria’s World Cup camping
- Flying Eagles batter Mauritania 5-0, qualify for Niger 2019
- Here Are The Foods You Shouldn't Eat On An Empty Stomach
- Lagos Police Arrests 5 PDP LGA Chairmen For Murder
- JAMB Remits Another N7.8bn To Federal Government
- SARS Storms Kidnapper's Mansion In Imo Before Its Demolition
- APC & PDP In War Of Words Over Saraki, Dogara, Others
- Rampaging Boko Haram Ambushes Soldiers, Many Killed
- Policemen Assault Beautician After 'Touching' His Girlfriend
- "We’ve Decided To Dump APC, We Don't Trust Buhari" - R-APC
- Nigeria, Others To Get AFREXIM Bank’s $25bn Grant
- Newlywed Couple Seen Buying Roasted Plantain By The Roadside In Delta (Photos)