NDIC, which is the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation has just placed an explicit warning to Nigerians to steer off the popular and the fast rising bitcoin trading and its relations as it is not yet authorized in the country by the Central Bank of Nigeria and isn’t backed up by any law in the Nigeria’s constitution.
The Insurance Corporation also made further revelations stating how digital currencies are unregulated electronic forms of monetary value that can literally act as our conventional currencies in making transactions and payments; A digital currency has no physical form and it is not issued or controlled by any central authority and is thus exempted from government support.
Digital currencies are not created, issued or guaranteed by any Central Bank. Digital Currencies are also referred to as Virtual or Crypto currencies, NDIC added.
NDIC went further to pick point these facts behind the popular digital currency. According to the list,
1. Neither currencies nor coins offered by any central bank like the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) or a Central Bank of any other country with authority to issue such currency.
2. Not backed by any physical commodity, such as gold.
3. Not deposits or instruments authorized by the CBN.
4. Not insured by the NDIC.
Risk Involve Trading in Digital Currencies;
Consumers are not protected when using digital currencies for payments: Digital currency ‘units or accounts’ are not recognized by the CBN and are not insured by the NDIC unlike bank accounts. There is no protection, refund rights or redress for users of digital currencies.
Consumers can lose all their money due to Loss or Theft: Digital currencies are virtual money, stored in electronic medium called e-wallets and are vulnerable to losses due to loss of password, hacking, virus/malware attack etc. The loss of the wallet could result in the permanent loss of the digital currencies held in them.
High price changes that could lead to zero value of the currency quickly: The inherent instability in the rates because digital currencies are not issued or backed by any government, with no investor protection and are not protected by deposit insurance. This exposes the users to potential complete loss of value.
Absence of Authorized Exchange Platforms: Digital currencies are traded on exchanges established in various jurisdictions with unclear legal status. Consequently, the users of these platforms are exposed to financial, operational and legal risks.
Misuse for criminal activities: It has being widely reported that digital currencies are used in illicit activities in several jurisdictions, including unintentional breaches of anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) laws.
Negative Opinion of Digital Currencies by the world’s central banker: The head of the Bank for International Settlements labelled Bitcoin as “a combination of a bubble, a Ponzi scheme” and, due to the energy consumption required for mining it, an “environmental disaster”
Negative Opinion of Digital Currencies by the head of the World Bank: Jim Yong Kim, World Bank Group President compared crypto-currencies to “Ponzi schemes. According to him “In terms of using Bitcoin or some of the crypto-currencies, we are also looking at it, but I’m told the vast majority of crypto-currencies are basically Ponzi schemes.”
List of Countries that Banned Trading in Digital Currencies
1. China’s Central Bank barred financial institutions from taking part in digital currency as well as exchange trading of Bitcoin.
2. The European Banking Authority banned financial institutions from buying, selling or holding digital currencies.
3. The central banks of India and Mexico have issued a warning on the use of digital currencies.
4. The central bank of Russia are totally opposed to private money, no matter if it is in physical or virtual form.
5. Bangladesh, Nepal, Ecuador, Bolivia and Iceland and Morocco have all banned Bitcoin in their territories.
6. South Korea, a global center for crypto-currency trading, said it would ban anonymous trading of virtual currencies.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Ribadu joins race for Adamawa State House
- Why Skye Bank license was revoked- CBN
- Face Of Man Who Deliberately Infected His 2 Girlfriends With HIV
- I'm Not Endosing Anybody, Don't Waste Time Coming To Beg Me - Tinubu speaks
- 2019: Why Kwankwaso Can Defeat Buhari – Fani-Kayode
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins His Polling Unit In Osun Election
- Deadly Cultist who Killed Corper at ATM Point Finally Arrested
- Osun poll: APC, PDP trade blames over allegations of vote-buying
- Osun Decides 2018: Results Are Showing No Clear Winner
- No Whistle-Blower Will Get 5% Of Our Money – NNPC
- Old Woman Faints While Casting Vote In Osun Election
- Let’s Not Push Our Luck & Destroy Nigeria - Abdulsalami Warns
- Ambode: Loyal Supporters Begin Serious Prayer
- Abdusalami says he hates certain politicians warming up for 2019
- Osun Election: APC Candidate, Gboyega Oyetola Casts His Vote
- Amaechi Reacts: Abe conspiring with Wike to pull me down
- NYSC Replies Minister Adebayo Shittu: "You Have No Excuse"
- ADC Governorship Candidate Cast His Vote In Osun Election
- FRSC Officials Beg As Mob Beats Them For "Causing" Accident
- Osun Election: Cadet Claiming To Be INEC Official Nabbed
- Atiku, Saraki, others divide PDP BoT
- PDP agent arrested for buying votes in Adeleke’s LGA
- Osun Election Photos: PDP's Adeleke Casts His Vote
- Pastor Goes Into Hiding After He Was Shot In Port Harcourt
- "How Big Politician R*ped Me In Hotel' - Nigerian Lady Cries
- Rivers State Overtakes Lagos As Top Investment Destination
- Man Shot In The Head, Dies During Shoot-out In APC Secretariat
- Tambuwal: Buhari now desperate to perpetuate self in power
- Police Arrest Drver For Allegedly Killing Professor
- Lai Mohammed Replies PDP: You're Now Panic Mode
- S*x, Alcohol, Hard Drugs: Revelations On Life In NYSC Camps
- Minimum Wage: FG Makes New Promises Over NLC Ultimatum
- Jimi Agbaje; Time to Free Lagos State is Now
- "Ambode Will Get PDP Form From Me, I'll Sell My House & Buy it"
- Mother of 7 Runs Out N*ked During S*x With Man, Dies Openly... family suspects ritual (photo)
- PDP Raises Alarm: 9 APC Governors In Osun To Rig Election
- White Man Crushed To Death On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Due To High Speed
- 2019: Tension In APC, Senators To Decamp As Oshiomhole Back Governors for Indirect Primary
- Man In Trouble As Lagos Runs Girl He Slept With Escaped With His Boss N5m SUV
- LAGOS 2019: Ambode, Tinubu Meeting Today For "Last" Chance