– INEC is conducting gubernatorial election in the state on July 14
– Oluyede said that allowing Fayemi to emerge at the party’s May 5 primary would spell doom for the party at the poll
A governorship aspirant on the platform of the All Progressive Congress (APC) in Ekiti state, Wole Oluyede has warned the party against fielding the minister of mines and steel development, Kayode Fayemi, as its candidate in the July 14 gubernatorial election.
Daily Trust reports that Oluyede, who served in the administration of the former governor in the knowledge zone committee, said allowing Fayemi to emerge at the party’s May 5 primary would spell doom for the party at the poll.
NAIJ.com gathered that the aspirant, who made the statement while addressing a news conference in his Ikere-Ekiti county home, on Monday, April 16, slammed Fayemi for allegedly “believing that he owns the party structure in the state and controls delegates to vote at primary.”
The aspirant, who is a medical doctor, also criticised a former governor of the state, Chief Adeniyi Adebayo, for allegedly promoting Fayemi’s ambition and former governor Segun Oni for also joining the governorship race instead of playing the role of statesman.
According to him, the state’s chapter of APC presently has no rallying point adding that “those who supposed to act as leaders had already taken sides” in who gets the party’s ticket.
Oluyede was reacting to a statement credited to Ekiti APC chairman, Chief Olajide Awe, on a live interview programme on Adaba 88.9 FM.
Awe was reported to have said that the party would disqualify any aspirant that has been found guilty by a court of competent jurisdiction or a judicial panel of inquiry.
Some party faithful had said that Awe’s statement was targeted at Fayemi, and this already causing tension in the local APC chapter with supporters of the contending aspirants pouring invectives on one another.
But Oluyede, who supports the APC chairman’s reported statement, urged party leaders and delegates to listen to voters whom he said are not favourably disposed to any former governor returning to office.
He said: “Nobody can buy the delegates at the primary no matter how highly placed” urging the leadership to organize a transparent primary.
Canvassing for zoning, Oluyede said it was time the governorship ticket is zoned to Ekiti south senatorial district, saying Oni and Fayemi, whom he claimed were products of zoning in the past are now up in arms to deny the zone the opportunity.
Oluyede: “When I joined the race, some people were bandying it that Fayemi owns the structure in APC but that never bothered me.
“They (Oni and Fayemi) are welcome to the field; if what I said is not the truth, let them take me to court. The chairman of the party has said let there be free and fair election.
“He (Awe) said that any aspirant can be disqualified if he or she is found guilty by a court of competent jurisdiction or a judicial panel of inquiry.
“He (Awe) said our party should listen to the people, that they have desires and they are saying it, listen to them. We made that mistake in Osun state when we didn’t listen to the people and we lost that senatorial seat.
“Does that sound like what somebody suppose not to say? Nobody would allow any manipulation of any kind and he (Awe) said there is no more “Baba sope” (meaning ‘this is what the godfather has said’).
“That means the president or the national leader in Lagos has not anointed anybody, they have guaranteed free and fair election. He said that openly.
“We are only asking for free and fair (primary) election and the party should apply the law as it stands. Why would you want to go against the will of the people?
“We should not recycle a man that is so disconnected from his people and does not even think there should be a free and fair (primary) election within his party.
“That person is not even qualified to hold a political position within the country, we should move beyond that type of person.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
“How can they set up a Judicial Panel of Inquiry against you and you didn’t show up. Is that responsible? Even if what you can do is to show up with your lawyer and refute all allegations you.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that a former governor of Ekiti state Kayode Fayemi declared that Governor Ayodele Fayose will spend many years in jail after leaving office in October, describing Fayose as a pathological liar for claiming that he (Fayemi) left debt behind.
Buhari to Contest for Presidency in 2019! – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Man Drives A Burning SUV From A Fire Scene In Lagos (Photos)
- First Ever Miss Nigeria, Grace Oyelude, Still Looking Graceful At 86
- Woman Walked Out Of This Accident, Husband Appreciates God
- FG Unveils New National Carrier, 'Nigerian Air' In London
- Benue 2019: Ortom battles for survival
- NBC to impose higher sanction on Ekiti Broadcasting Service – official
- Madu , Ekuta others to represent Nigeria Judo Federation at AYG
- Akeredolu to sack doctors
- I quit Sky Sports to focus on coaching career —Henry
- Deputy Governor sentenced to jail
- Banks profitability under siege as Treasury Bills yields fall
- Dalic: I can coach Brazil or Barca but Croatia my favourite
- Buhari orders immediate repatriation of Nigerians stranded In Russia
- We kill them, Messi or No Messi’ – Pogba’s inspirational speech
- Yahoo-Boy Who 'Used His Girlfriend For Money Ritual' Breaks Down In Tears (Photos)
- Adorable Photos Of Alaafin of Oyo's 5-Month-Old Twin Babies
- Ekiti Governnor-elect, Deputy Get Certificates Of Return From INEC
- Woman Dies In Accident While Returning Home From Lecture
- Hoodlums Burn Down Schools To Be Commissioned By Dino Melaye
- Presidency Fails To Remit PAYE, VAT To FIRS (Details)
- I’m being harassed by security agents, Fayose cries out
- Dana Group partners Rotary Club, others on saving lives
- Presidency, National Assembly among tax defaulters, says AGF
- Big-sized Man Kneels To Propose To His Girlfriend (Photos)
- 8 Notorious Cultists Nabbed Inside A Hotel In Lagos
- Tears As Woman Kills Herself After Thinking Her Boyfriend Spent The Night With A Lady
- Unbelievable! Primary 5 Boy Kidnaps His Master's 10-Year-Old Son For N150,000 Ransom
- Fake Doctor Arrested After Patients Die In His Hospital
- Buhari appoints Muiz Banire Chairman of AMCON
- Assembly rejects Ekiti election
- Ekiti: Double speaks by domestic, international observers confuse Nigerians
- Buhari promises ICC free, fair, peaceful elections in 2019
- Presidential race 2019: Dankwambo declares war on poverty, injustice
- Abdulsalami Abubakar heads Commonwealth Observer Team for Pakistan Elections
- Benue 2019: Akume declares war to unseat Ortom
- EFCC, ICPC invite Nigeria sports minister over World Cup funds
- Giwa calls for unity in football family, as group calls for NFF prob
- 25 missing soldiers: Buratai, Operation Lafiya Dole Commanders meet to review tactics
- I Stated Stealing Because People No Longer Build Houses – Bricklayer
- Killings: How Does Buhari Sleep At Night?