The US Supreme Court on Monday rejected an appeal by the former Democratic governor of Illinois, Rod Blagojevich, who gained notoriety by trying to sell the US Senate seat vacated by Barack Obama in 2008.
Blagojevich, 61, is serving a 14-year sentence after being convicted in 2011 of corruption charges related to the attempt to sell the Obama senate seat “to the highest bidder,” as the prosecutor put it.
It was the second time that the Supreme Court has declined to take up an appeal by Blagojevich, effectively confirming a sentence that puts him behind bars until’s 2024.
Obama resigned his US Senate seat representing Illinois after his November 2008 victory in the US presidential elections.
As state governor, Blagojevich had the authority to appoint a replacement to fill the seat until the next elections but a jury found he corruptly sought to trade the appointment for personal gain.
He was arrested a few weeks after the November vote and was then impeached and removed from office by the Illinois state legislature in January 2009.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Suspect Escapes From Court Room In Lagos, Jumps Into Canal
- Young Boy Abducted By Ritualists In Benue, Abandoned In Abuja
- Female Student 'Tied' Her Roommates' Destinies Over Money
- Father Mbaka Warns Buhari, Others Of Impending "Danger"
- Check Out The Super-Cool Mercedes X-Class (Latest Edition)
- Pretty Lady Set To Marry In August Dies In Fatal Accident In Delta
- Iran threatens US with ‘mother of all wars’
- MPR to stay unchanged on sustained risk of capital flow reversals – analysts
- Nigeria’s inflation rate rises month-on-month
- First Bank commences Nigeria-China currency swap
- Nigeria’s new national carrier on shaking grounds
- Woman Suddenly Collapses, Dies During Church Service In Delta
- Nigerian Drug Trafficker Sentenced To Life In Prison (Photos)
- Footballer Ighalo & Wife Rock Matching Outfits In Style
- Female Professor, Army Officer Shot Dead By Gunmen On Abuja Road Last Night
- Here's Where To Buy The Best Snail In Abuja (Fresh or Cooked)
- UNIZIK Final Year Student Dies Moments Before His Last Paper
- SARS Torture Musician In Lagos, Accuse Him Of Being Yahoo Boy
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Stole My Mandate - Billionaire Ogunbiyi
- Saraki Reacts To "Juicy Offer" To Him By Buhari Presidency
- Some Forces Pushed Me To Defile Girl, says 52-Year-Old Man
- Fayose’s Arrogance Caused PDP’s Defeat In Ekiti — Sen. Kashamu
- Female Permanent Secretary’s Son Hangs Self Over Failed Business
- Start Preparing To Leave Aso Rock - PDP tells Buhari
- Buhari a joker if he thinks he’ll win in 2019 – Adebanjo
- Ex-President bags another 8-year jail term for corruption
- Osun 2018: Dancer Senator Adeleke wins PDP governorship ticket
- CAA ASABA 2018: Phyno, Harrysong to thrill fans as ticket sale begins
- 25 Falconets in Austria’s World Cup camping
- Flying Eagles batter Mauritania 5-0, qualify for Niger 2019
- Here Are The Foods You Shouldn't Eat On An Empty Stomach
- Lagos Police Arrests 5 PDP LGA Chairmen For Murder
- JAMB Remits Another N7.8bn To Federal Government
- SARS Storms Kidnapper's Mansion In Imo Before Its Demolition
- APC & PDP In War Of Words Over Saraki, Dogara, Others
- Rampaging Boko Haram Ambushes Soldiers, Many Killed
- Policemen Assault Beautician After 'Touching' His Girlfriend
- "We’ve Decided To Dump APC, We Don't Trust Buhari" - R-APC
- Nigeria, Others To Get AFREXIM Bank’s $25bn Grant
- Newlywed Couple Seen Buying Roasted Plantain By The Roadside In Delta (Photos)