Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State, in continuation of his administration’s “One Community, One Project” scheme on Monday handed over cheques of N5 million each to another batch of 171 autonomous communities that have met the requirements for the release of the funds to carry out development projects of their choice.
The scheme is an extensive rural development initiative of the Ugwuanyi administration aimed at ensuring that development reaches the 450 autonomous communities in the state, with a dedicated sum of N10 million for each community to address her pressing and peculiar development needs.
Consequently, the State Executive Council approved the scheme and earmarked the sum of N2.25 billion for 450 autonomous communities in the state as the first tranche of the N10 million for every community for the execution of development projects of their choice. Recently, N5 million was disbursed to 118 autonomous communities that had then fulfilled the requirements for the release of the funds.
Last weekend, Gov. Ugwuanyi was at Ibagwa Nike, Enugu East Local Government Area to inaugurate projects executed by the community with the first tranche of N5million, which was earlier disbursed to 118 communities.
In a related development, Traditional Rulers from Udenu, the council area of Gov. Ugwuanyi, also on Monday paid a solidarity visit to the governor at the Government House, Enugu, where they reaffirmed their earlier endorsement for his re-election in 2019.
The Royal Fathers, who were accompanied by the Presidents-General of the Town Unions and political office holders, among other stakeholders, commended the governor for his peace and good governance initiatives as well as his giant development strides across the state, declaring: “We are proud and solidly behind you and Udenu LGA is also behind you”.
Presenting the N5 million cheques to another batch of 171 communities, the governor commended “the communities that have so far used or are using their own funds to execute meaningful projects for the benefit of their people”.
He expressed confidence that the new set of communities that received their funds, would equally deploy the resources judiciously for the satisfaction of the yearnings of their people, adding that “the remaining communities will also receive their own funds” as soon as they meet the requirements.
Gov. Ugwuanyi, therefore, reiterated that the scheme was aimed at “promoting participatory democracy and extensive rural development in the state as well as the involvement of all communities in the implementation of government policies and programmes”.
While thanking the people of the state, who he described as “the true heroes of democracy” for their overwhelming support and cooperation, the governor reassured them of his administration’s commitment to entrenching good governance.
He said: “We will not relent in our efforts until our promise to take visible and sustainable development to all corners of the state is fully realized”.
Earlier in his remark, the state’s Accountant-General, Sir Paschal Okolie, stated that the government carefully designed laid down procedures for the judicious utilization of the money for the purpose it was meant for.
Sir Okolie disclosed that the state government in keeping with its hallmark of prudence, accountability and transparency, had set aside the N2.25 billion approved for 450 autonomous communities as the first tranche of N5 million for every community, saying: “The cash is ready for collection”.
Responding on behalf of other Traditional Rulers and the autonomous communities in the state, the Vice Chairman (Enugu North), Enugu State Traditional Rulers Council, Igwe R.N.S Ezeh, thanked Gov. Ugwuanyi for the people-oriented scheme, describing it as first of its kind in the history of the state.
He said that the Royal Fathers have endorsed the governor for second term, declaring that there is no vacancy in the lion building in 2019.
Gov. Ugwuanyi, while granting audience to his Udenu kinsmen, thanked the Royal Fathers for the endorsement, noting that such support coming from them was significant and inspiring.
The governor appreciated the people of Udenu LGA for the existing peace in the council area, which he disclosed “made it possible for us to achieve what we have achieved”.
“Over 95% of Enugu State people support what we are doing as a government and we will not take such support for granted”, Gov. Ugwuanyi said while urging his kinsmen to continue to remember him in prayers.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Two Sisters Caught Trying To Smuggle Tramadol, Igbo Into Prison In Abuja
- APC Leaders Will Be Thrown Into Hell If Their Records Are Checked - Obasanjo
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- House of Reps reject committee report sympathising with Atiku’s company
- Falana supports Obasanjo
- Shehu Sani tells Nigerians to look at the message of Obasanjo, not the messenger
- Feb: NOA raises red flags in 2 states in southeast, 1 in southwest, southsouth, northcentral each
- Respect rule of law, Osun APC tells Obasanjo
- LASUTH doctors begin strike Jan. 28
- Housewife allegedly beaten to death in Ondo
- Cardiff record signing Sala, on board missing plane says French authorities
- Prophet lynched in Ekiti for eating human faeces with bread
- Retired policeman claims 14-year old as his wife
- Barca completes shock Boateng move
- PDP federal lawmaker defects to APC
- Govt. Shut Down: U.S senate bows under Trump pressure
- Police confiscate 13 houses, 10 cars of kidnapper Collins Ezenwa known as E-Money
- How Trump’s friend facilitated Atiku’s trip to US
- Minimum wage: Council of State approves N30000 for Fed. workers
- Man goes berserk, kills wife, children, 4 others
- High court grants Elzakzaky, wife, access to medical services, adjourns to March 25
- Oshiomhole rubbishes OBJ, Atiku
- Popular Singer buys JAMB forms for 30 students
- ECOWAS, others sets to eliminate child marriage in West Africa
- Obasanjo Laughs With Buhari In Aso Rock Today
- The last of Awo’s cavalrymen
- Obasanjo on new offensive against Buhari
- Investors lose N102bn as NSE All Shares Index declines
- Why 2019 elections will be impossible to rig – INEC
- Again, House of Reps steps down second reading of 2019 Appropriation Bill
- Senate adjourns plenary over absence of Lawmakers
- Barcelona confirm Kevin-Prince Boateng signing
- PSG ordered to include Rabiot in first-team training
- NFF can’t force me to release election forms- Taraba FA Chairman boasts
- 2019: Buhari meets Obasanjo, others at Aso Rock
- Drama As Lagos Assembly Claims Ignorance Of Ambode's 2019 Budget
- Rivers APC Case: Supreme Court's Position
- Story Of UNILAG Graduate Turned Suspected Serial R*pist
- Dino Melaye Shares First Picture After Release From Custody
- Faces Of Car-snatching Syndicate Busted By The Police