The National Association of Telecoms Subscribers (NATCOMS) on Monday urged telecom operators to uphold the privacy of their subscribers.
The President of NATCOMS, Mr Deolu Ogunbanjo made the call in an interview with Newsmen in Lagos.
Ogunbanjo said that the Do-Not-disturb directive on subscribers privacy by the Nigeria Communications Commission was constantly violated by network operators.
He said that the N500, 000 fine to be imposed on any telecom operator that violates the do-not-disturb instruction was minimal.
“The fine of N500, 000 is not it at all, they should impose strict penalities like one million or more.
“The privacy of that man or woman that is being violated constantly by the telecoms operators should be protected by heavy sanction so that they can stop.
“Subscribers do not want unsolicited messages just because we are using their platform do not give them the right to do whatever they like and the unsolicited messages have gone too far,” he said.
Ogunbanjo said that going forward, telecom operators should seek subscribers permission before sending unsolicited messages.
“They must send messages to subscriber to ask whether they want the message or not and it is their right to decide on such messages,” he said.
He said that they should also consider the timing of sending the messages, adding that getting messages at late hours of the day was not good.
NAN reports that NCC had warned the telecommunications operators those who that violate the Do-Not-Disturb (DND) instruction would receive a fine of N500,000
Mr Philip Eretan, the Deputy Director, Licensing and Authorisation, NCC, had on April 9 during the 83rd edition of the Telecom Consumer Parliament (TCP) warned telecommunications operators against violating the instruction.
The forum was sequel to complaints of unsolicited messages by telecom consumers on Value Added Services (VAS).
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- I Weep For President Buhari, His Wife Has Cried Out Endlessly - Dele Momodu
- Check Out Emirates' 'Diamond-encrusted' Airplane Going Viral Online (Photos)
- Luiz keen on Chelsea’s stay
- Oil marketers dare FG, shut down depots
- Christianity under siege in China
- Oil marketers suspend strike, gives FG 5-day grace
- Banks spend N555bn in nine months for customers’ relations
- Govenor Amosun in urgent meeting with Buhari
- Access Bank bags CBN’s Award
- 2019 Election: Senate declares public hearing on vote-buying
- AMCON says asset management partners to help recover N740bn
- DMO enlists support of sub-national entities in managing Nigeria’s rising public debt
- Brilliant Nigerian Lady Abisoye Wins CNN Heroes Awards 2018
- Sharing Trader Moni Weeks To Election Is Vote Buying - Dogara
- EFCC Reveals Why They Raided Atiku's Sons Apartment
- Nigeria's GDP Rises To 1.81% In Third Quarter, After Falling From 7% Since 2016
- Offa robbery: Police debunks report on missing stolen money
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- Riverplate Clinch Copa Libertadores After Edging Out Boca
- FIFA & France Sign Agreement on African Football
- Tinubu Is My Friend, But I'll Free Lagos From Him - Jimi Agbaje
- Seriously? Human Bones Found Buried in Front of Popular Hotel in Lagos
- See Actor Gideon Okeke Getting His Lips Stitched After Being Brutalized By Policemen In Lagos
- I Was Aspiring To Be Chief Of Staff But God Turned The Table Around - Sanwo-Olu
- Atiku's Sons Apartment Raided By EFCC In Abuja
- Senator kicks against overriding Buhari’s veto
- Buhari constitutes committee on state’s judiciary autonomy
- Woman Brutally Attacked by Robbers on Her Way from Church in Rivers (Photos)
- True Story Of Metele Attacks - Surviving Soldier Reveals What Really Happened
- Money Rituals: Man Who Asked For Human Head Busted
- Winners Members Narrowly Escape Death While Returning From Shiloh (Photos)
- Buhari Worried over 2019, to Meet APC Governors, Oshiomhole
- Shell MD Escapes Prison As Appeal Court Nullifies Sentence
- Bishop Oyedepo: 2019 Will Be Peaceful, There Will Be Change For The Better
- Stop Sealing Suspects’ Assets & Render Them Useless - Falana tells EFCC
- 2019: T.Y. Danjuma's Group Meets Today To Pick Consensus Presidential Candidate
- We Will Not Allow Saraki Humiliate Buhari On Electoral Bill - APC Senators Vow
- Trouble: Oil Marketers To Shut Down All Loading Operations By Midnight
- Akpabio: I Brought Emmanuel Udom From Lagos & Made Him Governor