– Prof. Itse Sagay said, if re-elected, President Buhari’s second term will be firmer, similar to how he ruled in 1984
– He said Nigeria needs such a firmer approach to combat gross indiscipline among the ruling elites
– The renowned lawyer said the Buhari administration will build on the groundwork it has prepared if re-elected in 2019
Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), the chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC), has said that President Muhammadu Buhari’s second term will be firmer, stronger, and close to how he operated in 1984 as military head of state.
In an interview with the Independent, Professor Sagay said the president will be firmer if he gets the second term bid.
He said: “It is not that I have consulted him but I believe that his second coming will see a firmer, stronger type of leadership, a bit closer to what he was in 1984. I think that is what Nigerians should expect because this country is suffering from gross indiscipline of the ruling elites. We have seen a whole lot of impunity in the system.”
Asked whether he was surprised that the president is seeking re-election, he said: “I knew all the time that he was going to contest even though he might not have been very keen but the large number of relevant people in the party who were determined that he should re-contest were just too many. He couldn’t resist that force; otherwise, the disappointment could have been devastating. So, he had to bow to that pressure.”
Sagay said that the current administration will be able to build on its achievement if voted in for the second term.
“So, this government has gone through extreme difficulty to keep Nigeria afloat. However, that era is coming to an end and an era of prosperity is coming. So, one is really looking forward to the second term of Buhari and Osinbajo,” he said.
The renowned lawyer also shared his opinion about the leadership of the ruling party and the recent rejection of the one-year extension given to the Chief John Odigie- Oyegun-led NWC by President Buhari.
He said: “I supported the rejection of the one year extension not because I didn’t like Oyegun but because if the tenure elongation had been allowed to stand, the PDP would have had an apian way, expressway to the presidency and the other offices because all the nominations of the APC would have been held illegal and invalid because the people who organised it themselves are not entitled to be there. People who are occupying illegal offices could only produce illegal nominees. So, the president saved the party from catastrophe by rejecting the tenure extension.”
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Sagay blamed Oyegun for the indiscipline and crisis rocking the ruling party: “Oyegun has been a terrible failure as national chairman of the party. He has not shown the resolve and strength of purpose to direct the party properly and rid it of moles and enemies.”
NAIJ.com previously reported that President Buhari assured Nigerians that his administration will do its best and ensure that the confidence people have in the APC led government will not be abused.
He said: “We will do our best to justify your trust in us, and that confidence won’t be abused.”
According to Femi Adesina, a presidential spokesperson, the President said this in London on Sunday, April 15, while receiving the Buhari Diaspora Support Organization, led by Charles Efe Sylvester.
Buhari to Contest for Presidency in 2019! NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- FRSC 2018 Recruitment Screening Time-Table & Dates
- Buhari Jets Out To New York For UN General Assembly
- PhD Holder Employed As Primary School Teacher In Kaduna
- Female Kidnapper, Others Arrested As Little Boy Is Rescued
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Ways To Stay Physically Active
- Ribadu joins race for Adamawa State House
- Why Skye Bank license was revoked- CBN
- Face Of Man Who Deliberately Infected His 2 Girlfriends With HIV
- I'm Not Endosing Anybody, Don't Waste Time Coming To Beg Me - Tinubu speaks
- 2019: Why Kwankwaso Can Defeat Buhari – Fani-Kayode
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins His Polling Unit In Osun Election
- Deadly Cultist who Killed Corper at ATM Point Finally Arrested
- Osun poll: APC, PDP trade blames over allegations of vote-buying
- Osun Decides 2018: Results Are Showing No Clear Winner
- No Whistle-Blower Will Get 5% Of Our Money – NNPC
- Old Woman Faints While Casting Vote In Osun Election
- Let’s Not Push Our Luck & Destroy Nigeria - Abdulsalami Warns
- Ambode: Loyal Supporters Begin Serious Prayer
- Abdusalami says he hates certain politicians warming up for 2019
- Osun Election: APC Candidate, Gboyega Oyetola Casts His Vote
- Amaechi Reacts: Abe conspiring with Wike to pull me down
- NYSC Replies Minister Adebayo Shittu: "You Have No Excuse"
- ADC Governorship Candidate Cast His Vote In Osun Election
- FRSC Officials Beg As Mob Beats Them For "Causing" Accident
- Osun Election: Cadet Claiming To Be INEC Official Nabbed
- Atiku, Saraki, others divide PDP BoT
- PDP agent arrested for buying votes in Adeleke’s LGA
- Osun Election Photos: PDP's Adeleke Casts His Vote
- Pastor Goes Into Hiding After He Was Shot In Port Harcourt
- "How Big Politician R*ped Me In Hotel' - Nigerian Lady Cries
- Rivers State Overtakes Lagos As Top Investment Destination
- Man Shot In The Head, Dies During Shoot-out In APC Secretariat
- Tambuwal: Buhari now desperate to perpetuate self in power
- Police Arrest Drver For Allegedly Killing Professor
- Lai Mohammed Replies PDP: You're Now Panic Mode
- S*x, Alcohol, Hard Drugs: Revelations On Life In NYSC Camps
- Minimum Wage: FG Makes New Promises Over NLC Ultimatum
- Jimi Agbaje; Time to Free Lagos State is Now
- "Ambode Will Get PDP Form From Me, I'll Sell My House & Buy it"