– Prof. Itse Sagay said, if re-elected, President Buhari’s second term will be firmer, similar to how he ruled in 1984
– He said Nigeria needs such a firmer approach to combat gross indiscipline among the ruling elites
– The renowned lawyer said the Buhari administration will build on the groundwork it has prepared if re-elected in 2019
Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), the chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC), has said that President Muhammadu Buhari’s second term will be firmer, stronger, and close to how he operated in 1984 as military head of state.
In an interview with the Independent, Professor Sagay said the president will be firmer if he gets the second term bid.
He said: “It is not that I have consulted him but I believe that his second coming will see a firmer, stronger type of leadership, a bit closer to what he was in 1984. I think that is what Nigerians should expect because this country is suffering from gross indiscipline of the ruling elites. We have seen a whole lot of impunity in the system.”
Asked whether he was surprised that the president is seeking re-election, he said: “I knew all the time that he was going to contest even though he might not have been very keen but the large number of relevant people in the party who were determined that he should re-contest were just too many. He couldn’t resist that force; otherwise, the disappointment could have been devastating. So, he had to bow to that pressure.”
Sagay said that the current administration will be able to build on its achievement if voted in for the second term.
“So, this government has gone through extreme difficulty to keep Nigeria afloat. However, that era is coming to an end and an era of prosperity is coming. So, one is really looking forward to the second term of Buhari and Osinbajo,” he said.
The renowned lawyer also shared his opinion about the leadership of the ruling party and the recent rejection of the one-year extension given to the Chief John Odigie- Oyegun-led NWC by President Buhari.
He said: “I supported the rejection of the one year extension not because I didn’t like Oyegun but because if the tenure elongation had been allowed to stand, the PDP would have had an apian way, expressway to the presidency and the other offices because all the nominations of the APC would have been held illegal and invalid because the people who organised it themselves are not entitled to be there. People who are occupying illegal offices could only produce illegal nominees. So, the president saved the party from catastrophe by rejecting the tenure extension.”
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Sagay blamed Oyegun for the indiscipline and crisis rocking the ruling party: “Oyegun has been a terrible failure as national chairman of the party. He has not shown the resolve and strength of purpose to direct the party properly and rid it of moles and enemies.”
NAIJ.com previously reported that President Buhari assured Nigerians that his administration will do its best and ensure that the confidence people have in the APC led government will not be abused.
He said: “We will do our best to justify your trust in us, and that confidence won’t be abused.”
According to Femi Adesina, a presidential spokesperson, the President said this in London on Sunday, April 15, while receiving the Buhari Diaspora Support Organization, led by Charles Efe Sylvester.
Buhari to Contest for Presidency in 2019! NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Man Arrested For Plotting His In-Law’s Kidnap, Murder
- Stranded Nigerians In Russia Return Home
- DPO, Policemen Beat Chief Magistrate, Lawyers For Discharging Robbery Suspects
- VP Osinbajo Orders 72-hour Joint Operation To Clear Apapa Traffic Gridlock
- Aregbesola’s Chief Of Staff Emerges Osun APC Governorship Candidate
- Man Arraigned For Dumping Fiancée After Duping Her
- Buhari Has Deceived Nigerians – Turaki
- UK Reacts To Ekiti Election: Vote-Buying As Bad As Rigging
- Five Important Baby Toy Safety Tips
- Buhari To Commission Bayelsa Airport With Longest Runway
- I'm Done With APC, No Going Back - Governor Ortom Declares
- Shock As Police Storm Hotel Im Delta, Nab Federal Prisons Staff, 6 Others For Kidnapping
- Son Kills Mother Over Money In Lagos
- How Buhari, APC Chairman, Governors Are Begging Saraki
- Here's The Girl Whose Body Was Dumped After She Was Killed By Her Boyfriend
- FG, States, Lgs Share N668.89b After FAAC Deadlock
- 'Kemi Adeosun's NYSC Certificate Is As Fake As Buhari's Integrity'
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- "It’s Not Our Responsibility" - Lagos BRT Staff Reply Passengers Over Dirtiness Of Bus
- Come Out Or We Declare You Wanted - Police Warns Dino Melaye
- Young Boy Kills Girlfriend, Dumps Her Dead Body By The Roadside In Edo (Details)
- "You Have Case To Answer" - Lawyer Sues APC's Joe Igbokwe Over Supreme Court Bribe Claim
- Dancing Senator, Adeleke In Certificate Scandal?
- Two Men Sitting On Moving Train In Lagos; Fall, Die (Photos)
- Covenant University Graduates 238 With First Class... Pretty Lady Emerges Overall Best
- Young Soldier Killed After Being Lured Out By A Lady (Photos)
- Baby Rescued After Being Put Under Trailer By Mum To Be Crushed
- Presidential race 2019: Atiku will send Buhari packing from Aso Rock in 2019 – PDP
- MTN lost N12bn in four days of picketing by NLC
- I still have ten more year in boxing –A. Joshua
- Criminal intent applications fuelling cyber security threat — UN
- What Cristiano Ronaldo said about Messi after Juventus unveiling
- INEC admits votes buying in Ekiti governorship election
- The importance of integrating “ethics” in education
- Avoid Ponzi Schemes – SEC warns Nigerians
- NLNG seeks $7 billion for sustainability and Train 7 expansion
- NLNG awards FEED contracts for Train 7
- Presidency Insults Nigerian Elders? Says They're Hungry, Shedding Crocodile Tears On Security
- Photos Of Tuface and His Cute Sons In New York
- 2019: President Buhari Speaks On His Bid For A Second Term