Prince Harry has been appointed a Commonwealth youth ambassador, his highest-profile public role to date and a job that will see him working with his future wife encouraging young people to use the network of mostly former British colonies.
Queen Elizabeth awarded the position to her 33-year-old grandson who is fifth-in-line to the throne and has led a rebranding of the monarchy in a bid to make it more modern and relevant.
“I know that serving as ambassador to young people I’m going have to try to keep up with you all … my job will be to listen to you, my duty will be to ensure that your ideas, concerns, thoughts, and hopes are heard,” Harry told the opening of a Commonwealth forum discussing youth issues.
Harry will marry American actress Meghan Markle on May 19.
In a statement, Buckingham Palace said more than 60 percent of the Commonwealth’s 2.4 billion people were under the age of 30.
The Queen is the head of the Commonwealth, but questions have been raised over whether her son and heir, Prince Charles, should succeed her.
“The Queen clearly is personally very committed to the Commonwealth but after her, maybe it’s a time to say ‘well actually the Commonwealth should decide who its own president is on a rotational basis’,” Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the opposition Labour Party said.
Foreign minister Boris Johnson said it was “a matter for the 53 to decide”.
“She said that whether her life be long or short, it would be dedicated to the service of the people of the Commonwealth. All of us here today can be grateful that it is a long life the Queen is still enjoying,” he said.
FOREX, BITCOIN and BINARY TRADING EXPERT:
We guarantee 37% Bi-weekly profit by professionally trading your forex, cryptocurrency,binary accounts for you.WhatsApp:+2348030797998.
click here for details.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Tenis star Sharapova confirms romance with Prince william
- Alexis Sanchez at Man Utd is a typical Torres at Chelsea – Carragher
- Copa del’ Rey decisive fixtures
- EFCC Keeps Mum On Gov. Ganduje Bribe Video
- Atiku Meets Yoruba Leaders Over Top Political Offices
- PDP Warns INEC Against Receiving Unauthorized Names
- Confusion over Travel Ban List as Presidency, Security differ
- NAFDAC Searching For Drugs Made From Human Flesh
- EFCC stacks allegation, evidence against Fayose in court
- 900 retirees die waiting for pension
- Ooni Reveals Why He Married A Prophetess (Photos)
- Fayose Charged With Fraud By EFCC, Moved To Lagos
- Delta State University Graduate Climbs A Mast After Running Mad (Photo)
- I Don’t Know Bola Tinubu’s Position In APC – Obasanjo
- Windscreens Cracked As Hailstones Rain Down On Cars From The Sky In Abuja
- Minimum Wage: Ngge Says Labour Can't Dictate To Govt.
- Police Drags Adeleke To Court, Says "We're Not Aware Of Kemi Adeosun Forgery"
- N2.1bn Case: Face Dasuki, Not I - Dokpesi Tells Court
- Amosun Dares APC, Insists On Handing Over To His Candidate
- See Reactions To Nnamdi Kanu's Appearance In Jerusalem
- Photos Of VP Osinbajo Visiting Bayelsa Flood Victims
- Popular Actor Okon Lagos and His Beautiful Wife Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- SFU exposes bank staffers, criminals forging ATM cards
- Splinter group emerges in APC
- 2019: Buhari remembers Jonathan, tells Kannywood his surprise
- Usain Bolt, Valletta contract goes south
- Injured trio return to training for Liverpool
- Brazil to inject $1.1bn into Nigeria’s agriculture, says envoy
- Musa skips his game to sort out family matter
- Billikisu is NWPL referee of the week
- Uber announces new safety toolkit app for operators
- UBA posts all-time high gross earnings for Q3
- FG proposes N8.6trn for 2019, plans tighter fiscal plan
- Nollywood actor, Lawyer task Federal government on qualitative education
- Ekiti: Fayose tackles Fayemi, DMO over debt profile
- Volunteer Medical Corps ready for 2018 conference
- 95% of workers in mega firms think their cybersecurity culture is poor — report
- FG mandates NCC to ensure even distribution of broadband in Nigeria
- Nigeria to cut down on borrowing spree