Last week, The Weeknd put out 'I Was Never There', a 'docu-poem-esque' short film which immersed us in the intimate world of the recording sessions for 'My Dear Melancholy'.
Now, the Canadian star has finally released the visuals for his latest album, with the dark new video for its opening track "Call Out My Name".
Tortured by his separation from Selena Gomez, on this track he presents a solitary romantic lament. And what better way to illustrate his solitude than to walk alone, lost, along a damp, deserted road in the twilight?
"We found each other. I helped you out of a broken place. You gave me comfort. But falling for you was my mistake. I said I didn't feel nothing, baby, but I lied."
To add even more intensity to his dark emotions, swarms of bats emerge from Abel’s mouth when he sings the chorus. Then, he finds himself in the middle of an empty projection room, which successively transports him through sublime cinema decors.
Still alone, he then appears in a gloomy blazing forest filled with animals, then on the shore accompanied by a strange-faced mermaid. This mysterious, icy figure shows her face again at the very end of the video clip, as if to symbolize the fact that his emotional demons will haunt him forever.
The good news in all of this is that The Weeknd’s music is never better than when he’s in pain. It just goes to show that sometimes one man’s loss is another man’s gain.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari, Tinubu in supremacy battle
- Nigeria is a middle-income country, Adeosun corrects IMF
- 'Yahoo Boy' Lands In EFCC Net Over Alleged $22,000 Fraud
- Evil Taking Over Good In Nigeria - Soyinka On State Of The Nation
- 30 people dead as gunmen invade Zamfara
- Ladies Trafficked From Nigerian Turned Into Slaves In Morocco, Saudi Arabia
- Nigerian Man Attempts Suicide After Being Sentenced To Death
- Confusion As Angry Patients Hold Doctor, Others 'Hostage' At Enugu Hospital
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Married Woman Brutalized By Hoodlums In Lagos Market
- EFCC Chairman Magu Promoted To Commissioner of Police
- Mace Theft Saga: Senators plot total shut-out of Omo-Agege
- N10bn contractors’ payment: Adeosun debunks illegal transactions
- Skill acquisition: Lagos trains 18,184 women, youths in three years
- Why You Should Stop Worrying About Making A Big Impact
- We Are Not Lazy, Nigerian Youths Reply President Buhari
- Femi Falana Raises Alarm Over N1.4Trillion As Subsidy Monthly
- SARS Men "Torture" Man With A Pregnant Wife To Death
- 'NEPA' Fights Back: There'll Be Chaos If We Don't Continue Estimated Billing
- Pregnant Teenager, Pastor, Two Others Killed By Rivers Cultists
- 5 Ways To Identify Quality Ankara
- PDP Replies Buhari: Nigerian Youths Are Not Lazy
- Update On Senate Invasion & Mace Theft Saga
- Notorious Gang Leader, 20 Others Arrested
- Fayose, Obanikoro, Omisore Lose Over N2.2B; court freezes Fayose's accounts again
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Lagos completes 450 roads in three years
- Kidnapping: Evans‘ll not escape justice – Lagos Govt
- Lagos Waste: CSNAC asks EFCC to investigate ownership, operation of Visionscape
- Senate Mace Kidnap: When Nigeria lost 109 Senators in one swift terrorist attack
- EFCC about to sabotage own $1.6 bn suit against Omokore, others
- Osinbajo eulogizes Nigerian youths for great strides
- Lagos signs MoU to collate data of persons living with disabilities
- Court remands Buhari’s nominee in prison for alleged N182m fraud
- Shun purchase of pre-registered SIMs to avoid scammers, NCC warns
- Sterling Bank deepens investment culture, launches new mobile app
- AMBON set for official unveiling
- Access Bank increases ATM withdrawal limit abroad
- Mixed reaction trails Police recovery of stolen mace
- PDP in emergency meeting, may change name today