Okechukwu Nnodim, Abuja
The defective networks of power distribution companies led to the untimely death of 22 people within a space of three months.
Between January and March this year, six employees of five distribution companies and 16 other people were electrocuted as a result of one or more defective systems in the distribution arm of the industry.
The Nigerian Electricity Management Services Agency, in its latest report on safety ranking of the Discos and the Transmission Company of Nigeria, which was obtained in Abuja on Sunday, asked the power distributors to rectify their defective networks, describing this as a priority.
Of the 11 Discos in the country, eight recorded fatalities that involved either an employee or a third party during the period under review.
The defective networks of the Discos led to many accidents, which were caused by system protection equipment failures, total absence of protection devices in some cases, as well as vandalism, according to NEMSA.
Other causes of accidents in the sector include poor termination and maintenance of ageing networks, right of way issues, non-adherence to safety rules and regulations, poor response to monitored networks, use of substandard materials, and inadequate knowledge on the part of operators or consumers.
The electricity management agency charged the power firms to intensify efforts at revamping and calibrating their protection schemes and equipment, rectify their defective networks to prevent electrical accidents and reduce technical losses.
NEMSA further charged the power distributors to educate their customers on the need for extreme caution when using electricity.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
FOREX, BITCOIN and BINARY TRADING EXPERT:
We guarantee 37% Bi-weekly profit by professionally trading your forex, cryptocurrency,binary accounts for you.WhatsApp:+2348030797998.
click here for details.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- See What Teacher Did To A Student In Lagos Over Minor Offence
- After 33yrs Of Marriage Woman Gives Birth For The First Time ...she delivered triplets
- Properties Worth N1.8bn Forfeited To FG By Corrupt Ex-NDDC Director (Photos)
- Akwa Ibom APC records highest mass defection in years
- Corruption: EFCC drags NBA president to court
- 2019: Buhari Boasts to Defeat Atiku, Obj Roundly
- Oppression, hate speech are two different things — Oyedepo
- What Mavin wants for Bank Music as Reekado go solo
- How divorce made Asamoah Gyan a poor man
- Buhari desperate to retain power, says Ezekwesili
- 22 Arrested Yahoo Boys Have Been Jailed
- Why The Man In Aso Rock Is Not Buhari We Voted For – Ex-APC Spokesperson, Abdullahi
- 52yrs Old Woman Celebrates Birthday In Style After Giving Birth For The First Time (Photos)
- Robbers Who Attacked Female Lecturer Finally Arrested
- Obasanjo's Support Won't Save Atiku From Defeat - Presidency
- Deadly Cult Clash In Lagos; Seven Killed, Many Injured
- Seriously? Senate pays Dariye N85.5m allowances in prison
- Shock As Kidnappers Tie Lecturer To Tree, Shot Him Dead Over Delay In Paying Ransom
- Buhari Regretting That Obasanjo Has Dumped Him, says PDP
- Assistant Pastor Defiles Church Member’s Twin Daughters In Lagos (Photo)
- Oby Ezekwesili threatens to lead protest over electoral bill
- Buhari: Why I Defeated Goodluck Jonathan In 2015
- "Politicians Now Insert Money Inside Sandwich To Buy Votes"
- See How Fraudsters Scammed Shop Owner While Buying N110,000 Phone In Abuja (Photos)
- Reasons Senate, Reps Should Override Buhari On Electoral Act; by Olisa Agbakoba
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- I’m dumping Enyimba for Katsina United —-Ezenwa
- Difficult match but we came out victorious– Alex Iwobi
- Flying Eagles will approach Junior Mena with all seriousness— Paul Aigbogun
- FIFA & France sign agreement on African Football
- Boko Haram: ICC accuses Nigerian security forces of war crimes
- Arrest of Atiku’s son, tales by mischief makers – EFCC
- 2019: Saraki Urges INEC, security agencies, stakeholders to ensure credible elections
- Nigeria’s infrastructure deficit to hit $878b by 2040 – SEC DG
- I thank Watford family for believing in me—–Isaac Success
- Palace ‘interested in signing Moses with Chelsea for £12m
- 19th NSF: Toriola Oshonaike crashed out of Table tennis mixed double
- I Weep For President Buhari, His Wife Has Cried Out Endlessly - Dele Momodu
- Check Out Emirates' 'Diamond-encrusted' Airplane Going Viral Online (Photos)