Okechukwu Nnodim, Abuja
The defective networks of power distribution companies led to the untimely death of 22 people within a space of three months.
Between January and March this year, six employees of five distribution companies and 16 other people were electrocuted as a result of one or more defective systems in the distribution arm of the industry.
The Nigerian Electricity Management Services Agency, in its latest report on safety ranking of the Discos and the Transmission Company of Nigeria, which was obtained in Abuja on Sunday, asked the power distributors to rectify their defective networks, describing this as a priority.
Of the 11 Discos in the country, eight recorded fatalities that involved either an employee or a third party during the period under review.
The defective networks of the Discos led to many accidents, which were caused by system protection equipment failures, total absence of protection devices in some cases, as well as vandalism, according to NEMSA.
Other causes of accidents in the sector include poor termination and maintenance of ageing networks, right of way issues, non-adherence to safety rules and regulations, poor response to monitored networks, use of substandard materials, and inadequate knowledge on the part of operators or consumers.
The electricity management agency charged the power firms to intensify efforts at revamping and calibrating their protection schemes and equipment, rectify their defective networks to prevent electrical accidents and reduce technical losses.
NEMSA further charged the power distributors to educate their customers on the need for extreme caution when using electricity.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
FOREX, BITCOIN and BINARY TRADING EXPERT:
We guarantee 37% Bi-weekly profit by professionally trading your forex, cryptocurrency,binary accounts for you.WhatsApp:+2348030797998.
click here for details.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- FRSC 2018 Recruitment Screening Time-Table & Dates
- Buhari Jets Out To New York For UN General Assembly
- PhD Holder Employed As Primary School Teacher In Kaduna
- Female Kidnapper, Others Arrested As Little Boy Is Rescued
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Ways To Stay Physically Active
- Ribadu joins race for Adamawa State House
- Why Skye Bank license was revoked- CBN
- Face Of Man Who Deliberately Infected His 2 Girlfriends With HIV
- I'm Not Endosing Anybody, Don't Waste Time Coming To Beg Me - Tinubu speaks
- 2019: Why Kwankwaso Can Defeat Buhari – Fani-Kayode
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins His Polling Unit In Osun Election
- Deadly Cultist who Killed Corper at ATM Point Finally Arrested
- Osun poll: APC, PDP trade blames over allegations of vote-buying
- Osun Decides 2018: Results Are Showing No Clear Winner
- No Whistle-Blower Will Get 5% Of Our Money – NNPC
- Old Woman Faints While Casting Vote In Osun Election
- Let’s Not Push Our Luck & Destroy Nigeria - Abdulsalami Warns
- Ambode: Loyal Supporters Begin Serious Prayer
- Abdusalami says he hates certain politicians warming up for 2019
- Osun Election: APC Candidate, Gboyega Oyetola Casts His Vote
- Amaechi Reacts: Abe conspiring with Wike to pull me down
- NYSC Replies Minister Adebayo Shittu: "You Have No Excuse"
- ADC Governorship Candidate Cast His Vote In Osun Election
- FRSC Officials Beg As Mob Beats Them For "Causing" Accident
- Osun Election: Cadet Claiming To Be INEC Official Nabbed
- Atiku, Saraki, others divide PDP BoT
- PDP agent arrested for buying votes in Adeleke’s LGA
- Osun Election Photos: PDP's Adeleke Casts His Vote
- Pastor Goes Into Hiding After He Was Shot In Port Harcourt
- "How Big Politician R*ped Me In Hotel' - Nigerian Lady Cries
- Rivers State Overtakes Lagos As Top Investment Destination
- Man Shot In The Head, Dies During Shoot-out In APC Secretariat
- Tambuwal: Buhari now desperate to perpetuate self in power
- Police Arrest Drver For Allegedly Killing Professor
- Lai Mohammed Replies PDP: You're Now Panic Mode
- S*x, Alcohol, Hard Drugs: Revelations On Life In NYSC Camps
- Minimum Wage: FG Makes New Promises Over NLC Ultimatum
- Jimi Agbaje; Time to Free Lagos State is Now
- "Ambode Will Get PDP Form From Me, I'll Sell My House & Buy it"