Okechukwu Nnodim, Abuja
The defective networks of power distribution companies led to the untimely death of 22 people within a space of three months.
Between January and March this year, six employees of five distribution companies and 16 other people were electrocuted as a result of one or more defective systems in the distribution arm of the industry.
The Nigerian Electricity Management Services Agency, in its latest report on safety ranking of the Discos and the Transmission Company of Nigeria, which was obtained in Abuja on Sunday, asked the power distributors to rectify their defective networks, describing this as a priority.
Of the 11 Discos in the country, eight recorded fatalities that involved either an employee or a third party during the period under review.
The defective networks of the Discos led to many accidents, which were caused by system protection equipment failures, total absence of protection devices in some cases, as well as vandalism, according to NEMSA.
Other causes of accidents in the sector include poor termination and maintenance of ageing networks, right of way issues, non-adherence to safety rules and regulations, poor response to monitored networks, use of substandard materials, and inadequate knowledge on the part of operators or consumers.
The electricity management agency charged the power firms to intensify efforts at revamping and calibrating their protection schemes and equipment, rectify their defective networks to prevent electrical accidents and reduce technical losses.
NEMSA further charged the power distributors to educate their customers on the need for extreme caution when using electricity.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
FOREX, BITCOIN and BINARY TRADING EXPERT:
We guarantee 37% Bi-weekly profit by professionally trading your forex, cryptocurrency,binary accounts for you.WhatsApp:+2348030797998.
click here for details.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- UN cornerned Cameroon is sending Nigerian refugees back to Boko Haram
- Winners Chapel Pastor Rescued By Nigeria Navy After Days In Kidnappers Den
- Face Of Notorious Robber Nabbed During Midnight Operation
- Photos Fro! Church Wedding Of Donald Duke's Daughter
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 3 Top Brands With the Most Affordable Home Appliances
- Update On Police Search For Senate Mace Thieves As Female Official Leaves Hospital
- Heartless Killings Continue: Herdsmen Kill 15 In Daring Attack
- Governor Fingered In Plot Against VP Osinbajo
- Big Woman Posing As Immigration Officer Arrested In Lagos For S*x Slavery
- Buhari, Tinubu in supremacy battle
- Nigeria is a middle-income country, Adeosun corrects IMF
- 'Yahoo Boy' Lands In EFCC Net Over Alleged $22,000 Fraud
- Evil Taking Over Good In Nigeria - Soyinka On State Of The Nation
- 30 people dead as gunmen invade Zamfara
- Ladies Trafficked From Nigerian Turned Into Slaves In Morocco, Saudi Arabia
- Nigerian Man Attempts Suicide After Being Sentenced To Death
- Confusion As Angry Patients Hold Doctor, Others 'Hostage' At Enugu Hospital
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Married Woman Brutalized By Hoodlums In Lagos Market
- EFCC Chairman Magu Promoted To Commissioner of Police
- Mace Theft Saga: Senators plot total shut-out of Omo-Agege
- N10bn contractors’ payment: Adeosun debunks illegal transactions
- Skill acquisition: Lagos trains 18,184 women, youths in three years
- Why You Should Stop Worrying About Making A Big Impact
- We Are Not Lazy, Nigerian Youths Reply President Buhari
- Femi Falana Raises Alarm Over N1.4Trillion As Subsidy Monthly
- SARS Men "Torture" Man With A Pregnant Wife To Death
- 'NEPA' Fights Back: There'll Be Chaos If We Don't Continue Estimated Billing
- Pregnant Teenager, Pastor, Two Others Killed By Rivers Cultists
- 5 Ways To Identify Quality Ankara
- PDP Replies Buhari: Nigerian Youths Are Not Lazy
- Update On Senate Invasion & Mace Theft Saga
- Notorious Gang Leader, 20 Others Arrested
- Fayose, Obanikoro, Omisore Lose Over N2.2B; court freezes Fayose's accounts again
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Lagos completes 450 roads in three years
- Kidnapping: Evans‘ll not escape justice – Lagos Govt
- Lagos Waste: CSNAC asks EFCC to investigate ownership, operation of Visionscape
- Senate Mace Kidnap: When Nigeria lost 109 Senators in one swift terrorist attack