Olaleye Aluko, Abuja
Operatives of the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons and other related matters have arrested a civil servant, Alex Okafor, for allegedly brutalising his three children with an electric wire.
According to NAPTIP, 40-year-old Okafor, who worked with the National Health Insurance Scheme, resided at Bazango Layout, in the Kubwa area of Abuja.
Our correspondent learnt that he allegedly brutalised his children, aged eight, 10 and 11, for making him angry.
The victims were two girls and a boy.
The anti-trafficking agency did not disclose the names of the children.
NAPTIP said Okafor had been arraigned at a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Number 28, sitting in Apo, Abuja, for the act of violence which contradicted Section 2 (11) of the Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) Act 2015.
Confirming Okafor’s arraignment, the agency’s spokesman, Josiah Emerole, said in a release that the matter had been adjourned till June 19.
He said, “The court has remanded Okafor in prison for an alleged act of violence and for inflicting injuries on his three children.
“The defendant was dragged before the court on three counts under the provisions of the Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) Act 2015. He was arraigned in the case of Federal Republic of Nigeria versus Alex Okafor, with charge number CR/161/18.
“He was charged with wilful infliction of physical injuries on his three children using electric wire and horsewhip, thereby committing an offence punishable under Section 2(11) of the Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) Act 2015.
“After the charges were read, he pleaded not guilty. The judge, Justice Valentine Ashi, ruled that the defendant had a right to bail. The court, therefore, granted him bail in the sum of N500, 000 with two sureties each in like sum. Further hearing on the matter has been adjourned till June 19.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
FOREX, BITCOIN and BINARY TRADING EXPERT:
We guarantee 37% Bi-weekly profit by professionally trading your forex, cryptocurrency,binary accounts for you.WhatsApp:+2348030797998.
click here for details.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Osinbajo eulogizes Nigerian youths for great strides
- Lagos signs MoU to collate data of persons living with disabilities
- Court remands Buhari’s nominee in prison for alleged N182m fraud
- Shun purchase of pre-registered SIMs to avoid scammers, NCC warns
- Sterling Bank deepens investment culture, launches new mobile app
- AMBON set for official unveiling
- Access Bank increases ATM withdrawal limit abroad
- Mixed reaction trails Police recovery of stolen mace
- PDP in emergency meeting, may change name today
- Hotel owner, others arraigned in court over Offa bank robbery
- Saraki lauds colleagues, Reps for upholding democracy
- Appeal Court freezes Fayose’s accounts
- Reps back Adeosun over Gwarzo’s suspension
- Tension as military, police take over NASS
- Justice Abang speaks on Metuh’s sick-bed prank
- OC SARS commits suicide in Ogun
- Mace theft: Senate summons IGP, DG of SSS
- Police promotes Magu, 2 others
- Kirikiri prisoners enroll for PhD
- How 5 thugs beat 250 NASS guards to steal mace
- FG to criminalise abuse of local content policy
- When will our words match our actions
- Respect local content act on your Egina FPSO, IYC warns Total
- Retired SARS Boss Shoots Self Dead In His House
- S*x-For-Mark: OAU Lecturer Gets Indefinite Suspension
- Falana Reacts To Senator Omo-Agege Saga: "No Legislative House Can Suspend Member"
- Buhari’s nominee remanded in prison for alleged N182m fraud
- I'm Happy, My Twins Are Okay; says Otun Olubadan
- APC In Fresh Crisis Over Tenure Extension
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- See The Things To Consider Before Mounting Your Flat screen TV
- How Thugs Invaded Senate, Took Away Mace (DETAILS)
- Here's Senate Official Reaction To The Invasion & Stealing Of Mace
- I Can't Be Arrested, I Did Not Remove The Mace - Senator Omo-Agege
- Accident In Lagos As Truck Falls Off Berger Bridge, Lands On Two Cars
- Nigerian youth will find most uncomplimentary what Buhari says about them at Commonwealth Business Forum
- 55 Nigerians ‘stole N1, 354tr between 2006 and 2013’ — SERAP
- INEC reveals 7.9m PVCs yet to be collected
- FG orders probe of National Assembly invasion
- El Clasico transfer swap deal