Russian businessman, Sergei Mavrodi, whose MMM pyramid scheme deprived millions of Russians of their savings in the 1990s, has died of a heart attack.
Reports said the 62-year-old was rushed to a hospital late on March 25, following complaints of chest pain. He died several hours later.
According to Moskovsky Komsomolets, a Moscow-based newspaper, Mavrodi complained of weakness and pain in the heart and was hospitalised.
“Mavrodi was hospitalised in the 67th city hospital. He could not be saved – he died this morning,” the paper reported.
Mavrodi promised returns of 20 per cent to 75 per cent a month, as well as lotteries and bonuses for investors.
As soon as the number of new clients stopped growing, the pyramid collapsed, causing huge financial losses for at least 10 million people, in some cases leaving them in destitution.
The scheme went on a one-month break in December 2016 before its eventual collapse with the funds of many Nigerians trapped in it.
While some Nigerians, who lost money to the ponzi scheme, described the news of Mavrodi’s death as fake, others greeted the news with excitement.
On the Facebook page of the group, one Dave Aguode threatened to ban any member spreading the news of the death.
He said, “Hello everyone, please disregard any news about the death of the MMM founder until you see it in your POs. MMM is working. For now, the planned launch of MMM crypto-currency will pay old mavro.
“Join the telegram below to start getting information about the planned MMM crypto and more.
“From now, anybody who spreads negative information on MMM will be banned here.”
But another member, Prince Preye, however, lamented that Mavrodi died while his N.1m investment was still trapped in the ponzi scheme.
On his own part, one Oene Rosehaniel Alapaankeil remarked that Mavrodi’s death was long overdue as “our money died long ago.”
“Who cares if he dies? After all, our money died long ago, so it is his turn,” Alapaankeil said.
Another participant, Samuel Alozie, believed Nigerians’ voodoo killed him.
He said, “Nigerian juju has caught up with him. You died well. In your next life, you will not come to Nigeria to do business. You packed people’s money and ran away. You will have no rest anywhere you go.”
A consultant, Mr. Kenneth Eze, in response to a post by our correspondent, said the death would have affected more people if the scheme was still running well before the death.
He said, “The scheme was, to say the least, an informal one and since there is no valid contract in place, the depositors are left holding onto thin air. Those who would have suffered fatalities as a result of the failure of this scheme have already done so. So, there wouldn’t be much reaction to his death. It would have been worse if he died while the scheme was flourishing.”
On Twitter, hilarious comments trailed Mavrodi’s death.
One PostMasterþ @Ossai said, “Sergei Mavrodi, founder of MMM, has been scamming people all over the world without repercussions. Just small money he took in Nigeria last year, the dude is dead now.”
Another user, FCN Saufus, þ @realFCN said, “So it took Benin witches over 400 days to fly to Moscow and visit Sergei Mavrodi of MMM? They should have entered a plane and not the usual bird mode, nonsense.”
One Sochyma @Sochima27, said, “Sergei Mavrodi is afraid of Nigeria coming to Russia for World Cup this June. He will resurrect in August after the World Cup.”
Another user, Jokanola B.J @BjJokanola, said, “MMM founder Sergei Mavrodi is dead. If your money in still hanging with MMM, kindly go to the spirit world and query the founder.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 2019: I’m not desperate to be President – Atiku
- Tension in Abuja: US Embassy shuts Visa, Consular Services indefinitely
- Odili, Ekpu @ 70: Of patriarchs and their progenies
- Minister’s certificate forgery scam: SERAP sues NYSC over failure to publish Adeosun’s ‘exemption certificate’
- Saraki, Dogara Reveal Why They're Not Reconvening NASS
- Man Who Abducted Lagos Schoolgirl Who's Sold Into Pros-titution Arrested, Opens Up
- Uber Driver Nabbed For Beating Up 'Runs Girl' In Lagos After S*x
- 2019: I’m Qualified, Not Desperate To Be President - Atiku
- Man Steals Company’s Products To Pay Medical Bill Of Wife
- SARAKI's TIME IS UP - Oshiomhole insists, gives strong condition
- Hacks For Dealing With Smelly Feet
- Female Corper Cries As Political Thugs Kidnap Her For Refusing To Rig Election
- Oba Of Benin Arrives Abuja In His Rolls Royce and Private Jet
- 2019: Presidency Reacts To "Pressure" On Buhari Not To Run
- Lecturer Sent To Prison For R*ping His Wife Sister's Daughter
- Saraki's Refusal To Reconvene NASS Generates Serious Tension
- Woman Who Survived Rivers Boat Accident: "I Have Nightmares Every Night"
- After Begging For Obasanjo's Support In 2015, Tinubu Says "OBJ Can't Tell Us Who To Vote"
- Family Man Serving Life Sentence Begins Master’s Programme
- IGP Obeys Osinbajo's Order, Begins Nationwide Overhaul of SARS
- The Truth About ‘Huge Debts’ Oshiomhole Left For Me - Obaseki
- Flood Takes Over Houses In Lekki After Heavy Rainfall (Photos)
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Aruna wins ITTF 2018 Nigeria Open
- Bayelsa State league draws completed
- FIFA to Ban Nigeria on August 20
- Ahmed Musa nets winner for Al Nassr on his debut in Saudi Arabia
- London, Turkey trips awaits fresh players —Waheed
- FIFA to ban Ghana over government court case against GFA
- U-18,U-20 male handball emerged winner
- Ghanaian undercover journalist Anas ,colleagues escape lynching in Malawi
- We are disappointed, but this game will help us grow —Cech
- Only NFF recognized by CAF,FIFA can sack me —Sanusi insists
- Barca’s Bartomeu leaves door Open to Pogba signing
- Rising Tension in Presidency: Uncertainty over National Assembly reconvening to consider INEC Budget
- Minister Dalung: A Huge Disservice to the Sports Industry
- Messi sets new Barca Trophy record
- Defection trauma: Akpabio battles for survival
- Breaking: Police boss overhauls SARS
- Touching Story Of 25yrs Old Man Trapped In A Little Child's Body