Russian businessman, Sergei Mavrodi, whose MMM pyramid scheme deprived millions of Russians of their savings in the 1990s, has died of a heart attack.
Reports said the 62-year-old was rushed to a hospital late on March 25, following complaints of chest pain. He died several hours later.
According to Moskovsky Komsomolets, a Moscow-based newspaper, Mavrodi complained of weakness and pain in the heart and was hospitalised.
“Mavrodi was hospitalised in the 67th city hospital. He could not be saved – he died this morning,” the paper reported.
Mavrodi promised returns of 20 per cent to 75 per cent a month, as well as lotteries and bonuses for investors.
As soon as the number of new clients stopped growing, the pyramid collapsed, causing huge financial losses for at least 10 million people, in some cases leaving them in destitution.
The scheme went on a one-month break in December 2016 before its eventual collapse with the funds of many Nigerians trapped in it.
While some Nigerians, who lost money to the ponzi scheme, described the news of Mavrodi’s death as fake, others greeted the news with excitement.
On the Facebook page of the group, one Dave Aguode threatened to ban any member spreading the news of the death.
He said, “Hello everyone, please disregard any news about the death of the MMM founder until you see it in your POs. MMM is working. For now, the planned launch of MMM crypto-currency will pay old mavro.
“Join the telegram below to start getting information about the planned MMM crypto and more.
“From now, anybody who spreads negative information on MMM will be banned here.”
But another member, Prince Preye, however, lamented that Mavrodi died while his N.1m investment was still trapped in the ponzi scheme.
On his own part, one Oene Rosehaniel Alapaankeil remarked that Mavrodi’s death was long overdue as “our money died long ago.”
“Who cares if he dies? After all, our money died long ago, so it is his turn,” Alapaankeil said.
Another participant, Samuel Alozie, believed Nigerians’ voodoo killed him.
He said, “Nigerian juju has caught up with him. You died well. In your next life, you will not come to Nigeria to do business. You packed people’s money and ran away. You will have no rest anywhere you go.”
A consultant, Mr. Kenneth Eze, in response to a post by our correspondent, said the death would have affected more people if the scheme was still running well before the death.
He said, “The scheme was, to say the least, an informal one and since there is no valid contract in place, the depositors are left holding onto thin air. Those who would have suffered fatalities as a result of the failure of this scheme have already done so. So, there wouldn’t be much reaction to his death. It would have been worse if he died while the scheme was flourishing.”
On Twitter, hilarious comments trailed Mavrodi’s death.
One PostMasterþ @Ossai said, “Sergei Mavrodi, founder of MMM, has been scamming people all over the world without repercussions. Just small money he took in Nigeria last year, the dude is dead now.”
Another user, FCN Saufus, þ @realFCN said, “So it took Benin witches over 400 days to fly to Moscow and visit Sergei Mavrodi of MMM? They should have entered a plane and not the usual bird mode, nonsense.”
One Sochyma @Sochima27, said, “Sergei Mavrodi is afraid of Nigeria coming to Russia for World Cup this June. He will resurrect in August after the World Cup.”
Another user, Jokanola B.J @BjJokanola, said, “MMM founder Sergei Mavrodi is dead. If your money in still hanging with MMM, kindly go to the spirit world and query the founder.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Worshipers disarm suicide bomber inside Yobe mosque
- Fayose planning to cause disharmony in APC – Fayemi
- Erastus Akingbola to face corruption charges
- President Buhari has listening ears- Bisi Akande
- PDP lacks integrity, says el-Rufai
- Buhari congratulates Falana on 60th birthday
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Herdsmen killings: Military commence Operation ‘Whirl Stroke’ in Benue
- How factions loyal to Saraki, Buhari, Dogara split APC state congresses
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Nigerian Man Graduates In Style, Gets Full Time Offer From Microsoft, Amazon In US
- WHAT IS SALVATION? (Why It's So Important)
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- I wasn’t an absentee student at UNILAG – Odunlade Adekola
- Coalition, NewPDP insist PDP must change name to join alliance
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Oyegun, House Speaker Shun APC Congress In Edo State
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?