Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu of the Federal High Court, Abuja on Tuesday convicted Moghalu Maduakonam on one-count charge of money laundering preferred against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
Maduakonam, a businessman, was arrested sometime in February 2013 by operatives of the EFCC for transporting in cash a sum of $200,000, while attempting to board an Ethiopian Airline from Nigeria to Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
The money is above the threshold of $10,000 allowed by law for an individual.
The defendant failed to disclose the said sum to the Nigerian Customs Service as required by Section 12 of the Foreign Exchange (Monitoring and Miscellaneous Provisions) Act Cap F34 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 and Section 2(3) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act No. 11, 2011.
The offence is punishable under Section 2(5) of Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act No. 11, 2011 as amended by the Money Laundering (Prohibition) (Amendment) Act, 2012.
Justice Ojukwu, while delivering the judgment prepared by Justice A. A. Ademola in December 2017 shortly before his retirement said, the prosecution had proved its case against the defendant beyond reasonable doubts.
“I have no difficulty in convicting the defendant on the count preferred against him”, the judge said.
Maduakonam’s counsel, Babara Amosu, however, prayed the court to consider the convict as a first time offender and temper justice with mercy, having admitted to his mistake earlier in the trial.
On the other hand, counsel to the EFCC, M. E. Eimonye urged the court to apply the full weight of the law adding that the offence was “intentional” and that the defendant was fully aware of its consequences under law since that was not his first time of travelling to Dubai.
Consequently, Justice Ojukwu ordered the forfeiture of the $200,000 which the convict concealed to the federal government.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- “Why we appointed Ali Modu Sheriff as Buhari campaign manager”
- APC tackles Saraki as another coalition linked to him
- Governor Ortom Dumps APC
- Photos Of Ronaldo Undergoing Medical As He Moves To Juventus
- See Damages Caused By Heavy Rain In Katsina, 25 Killed
- Why ICC invites only Buhari of all world leaders
- Dogara aide dumps APC
- $680m: Oando boss, Tinubu in another messy court case
- Protesters hold bank to ransom in Lagos
- UBA bags best institution in digital banking across Africa
- Tips on how to cope with high blood pressure
- World Cup Final Referee is an idiot – Roy Keane
- SEC reiterates commitment to robust capital market
- Ekiti 2018: ‘Fictitious’ final result causes uproar
- NIMC requires N150bn to enrol every Nigerian
- How INEC conspired with APC to rig Ekiti election – Olushola
- Boko Haram abducts 23 soldiers in Borno state
- I'm Not Afraid Of EFCC, I Won't Run Away From Nigeria - Fayose
- PHOTOS: Many Dead As Bus Goes Off The Road and Plunges Into Edo River
- Soldiers Patrolling Ekiti After APC Governorship Victory (Photos)
- Update On Girl Kidnapped At Lagos Christ Embassy: Fraudsters Contact Family For Money
- Customs Officer Kills Two Colleagues In Lagos
- FUNNY!! How APC's Fayemi Out Spend Fayose's PDP In Ekiti
- I Abducted My Employer’s Son To Raise Money — Arrested Guard
- NYSC Forgery Saga: Police IG Asked To Probe Kemi Adeosun
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 5 Ways To Wear Heels Without Pain
- "Fayose Is A High-Powered Nothing" - Presidency
- Fayemi Spotted Celebrating With Other Governors
- EFCC Threatens Governor Fayose?
- 23 Soldiers Missing In Borno As Boko Haram Ambush Troops
- 25yrs Old Man Arrested Forr Killing His Wife Over Adultery
- "I Defeated APC's Fayemi During Voting, They Changed Results" - Fayose's Deputy
- Family Of Female Corper Shot Dead In Abuja Goes After Hospital
- I Will Pay Ekiti Workers Salary Arrears In just 6 Months - Fayemi
- Saraki Reacts To Fayemi's Victory In Ekiti Governorship Election
- PDP governor differs with colleagues, party on Fayemi victory
- Lawmaker arrested for arming suspects with pump-action guns
- Flying Eagles return, set to conquer ‘tough’ Mauritanians
- Croatia coach attributes success in Russia to holy rosary