Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu of the Federal High Court, Abuja on Tuesday convicted Moghalu Maduakonam on one-count charge of money laundering preferred against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
Maduakonam, a businessman, was arrested sometime in February 2013 by operatives of the EFCC for transporting in cash a sum of $200,000, while attempting to board an Ethiopian Airline from Nigeria to Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
The money is above the threshold of $10,000 allowed by law for an individual.
The defendant failed to disclose the said sum to the Nigerian Customs Service as required by Section 12 of the Foreign Exchange (Monitoring and Miscellaneous Provisions) Act Cap F34 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 and Section 2(3) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act No. 11, 2011.
The offence is punishable under Section 2(5) of Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act No. 11, 2011 as amended by the Money Laundering (Prohibition) (Amendment) Act, 2012.
Justice Ojukwu, while delivering the judgment prepared by Justice A. A. Ademola in December 2017 shortly before his retirement said, the prosecution had proved its case against the defendant beyond reasonable doubts.
“I have no difficulty in convicting the defendant on the count preferred against him”, the judge said.
Maduakonam’s counsel, Babara Amosu, however, prayed the court to consider the convict as a first time offender and temper justice with mercy, having admitted to his mistake earlier in the trial.
On the other hand, counsel to the EFCC, M. E. Eimonye urged the court to apply the full weight of the law adding that the offence was “intentional” and that the defendant was fully aware of its consequences under law since that was not his first time of travelling to Dubai.
Consequently, Justice Ojukwu ordered the forfeiture of the $200,000 which the convict concealed to the federal government.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria might lose investors – Sanusi
- 9mobile crashes US roaming rates with super 50 offer
- Naira steady at N363/$ as Pound crashes lowest in weeks
- NFF electoral committee commences work
- Highly-rated Arsenal youngster tipped to leave for free transfer
- Putin orders massive military men, materiel, 50 ops in preparation against enemy West
- NSE: Bull loses control as Index down by 0.15%
- Eko disco restores power to community after 9 months outage
- Buhari returned empty-handed from UK visit – PDP
- Considering a Spaniard for Arsenal job
- Big Brother Naija: Multichoice may have raked in N5.1 billion
- Again, poliice descends on Melaye’s home in Abuja hours after release
- Bukola Saraki’s aide in ghost worker scam
- SEC extends amnesty for shareholders with multiple IPOs subscriptions
- NCC blames SIM box operators over call masking
- Health: Expert commends LASG’s over compulsory state’s Health Insurance Scheme
- 2019: No amount of intimidation will stop PDP, says Secondus
- Nigerian burnt to death by South Africans as police look away
- Face of Herdsman Who Killed His Own Brother Over Missing Cow
- Pastor Who Borrowed Coat For Wedding 12 Years Ago, Celebrates His Good Wife
- Xhaka: We must win Europa League for Arsenal
- Man Who Already Shared His Will Miraculously Healed By Female Prophet From Kidney Infection
- World Bank blasts Nigeria, African leaders on Youth development
- Wike set to commission 34 projects to mark third year anniversary
- OAU Sex-for-marks scandal: Victim, Monica Osagie, invited to appear before panel on Tuesday
- Former INEC chair gets new appointment
- Politics is like smoking Marijuana – Kema Chikwe
- 2 Ladies Who Accused Nigerian Lecturer of S*x for Grade Jailed
- Update: Soldiers Kill Six Gunmen Terrorising Kogi State
- Breaking: Police arrest Melaye
- Yoweri Museveni, Uganda President, chides Buhari on Nigerian Youths
- Nabbed Soldier: I deserted Army because I was owed 9-month salary
- Senator Dino Melaye Arrested In Abuja Airport
- Why Bode George Should Beg Obasanjo - Oyinlola
- Abuja Engineer Stabs Friend To Death At Birthday Party
- Gunmen, Bombers Attack Kogi & Borno States, Over 25 Killed
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Here Is How To Easily Apply & Get Your Nigerian Passport
- FG Reforming NNPC For Transparency & Accountability
- Saraki, Tambuwal Give PDP Conditions To Return?