British filmmaker Lewis Gilbert has died at the age of 97, James Bond producers said of the director famed for his work on three 007 movies.
“It is with great sadness that we learn of the passing of our dear friend Lewis Gilbert,” producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli said Tuesday, describing the director as “a true gentleman”.
“He made an enormous contribution to the British film industry as well as the Bond films… His films are not only loved by us but are considered classics within the series,” the added.
Gilbert directed Sean Connery in the 1967 “You Only Live Twice”, returning to the British film series a decade later with “The Spy Who Loved Me” (1977) and “Moonraker” (1979) starring Roger Moore.
While most well-known for his work on the spy series, Gilbert also directed a young Michael Caine in the 1966 movie “Alfie” which gained four Oscar nominations.
Born in east London in 1920, Gilbert’s first directing credit came in 1945 with “The 10 Year Plan”, a documentary about postwar housing.
After a lengthy career including production and writing roles, his last of 33 directing credits came in 2002 with “Before You Go”.
“The BFI salutes the most prolific of British filmmakers,” said Heather Stewart, creative director of the British Film Institute which had awarded Gilbert a fellowship for outstanding contribution to British film.
Stewart praised the late director for telling stories of British wartime bravery, to creating working class heroes and “funny and real character studies of women” rarely seen on screen.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Prince Oladimeji charges Kwara United to win 2018 Aiteo Cup
- Maigari concedes defeat to Pinnick in NFF presidential election
- NBS to spend $3.5m on poverty statistics survey
- Delta Air to launch first biometric terminal in the U.S
- FG abolishes payment of Overstay fees by dual citizens
- Polaris Bank takes over distressed Skye Bank assets
- NNPC faults Police over funds discovered in Banks
- Abubakar cautions politicians against disrupting 2019 poll
- Why I want Buhari out in 2019- Tambuwal
- Woman In Pain As Doctors Find 'Dead Tortoise' In Her Privates
- Beautiful Pics Of The New Terminal Of Port Harcourt Airport
- Two Men Fight Over Who'll Sit At Front Seat Of A Bus In Lagos
- BREAKING: CBN Revokes Skye Bank’s License
- Yahoo Boy Weeps Profusely After Being Arrested With Others
- Offa Bank Robbery: Security guard caught raking up customers’ monies
- Belgium,France make FIFA ranking history
- CR7 set to be cleared to face Man United
- Nasarawa United Chairman hails credible, fair NFF election
- Nigeria ex-footballer,Indian wife arrested for Fraud
- WBA Champion’s title defence cancelled
- World Bank predicts waste growth in Africa
- Messi hits new personal best for Barcelona
- Barcelona player ratings against PSV from big 4-0 win
- Federer: You can’t prepare to play Nadal
- 'I Rather Die Than Be R*ped' - Pretty Lady Injured By A "R*pist"
- Okorocha's 56th Birthday Celebration (Photos)
- Pilot Sentenced To 15-Year-Jail Term For Forgery In Lagos
- Why PDP Lost In 2015 But Will Win In 2019 – Kwankwaso
- How People React To Adebayo Shittu Skipping NYSC
- Okonjo-Iweala commiseates with Nigeria over flood disaster
- 'Have We Ever Met Before'? - Buhari Asks New DG Of DSS During Meeting
- Blood Flows As Oro Worshippers and Muslims Clash In Oyo State (Graphic Photos)
- "Certificate Forgery": I Won't Resign - Buhari's Aide, Obono-Obla
- Man's Manhood 'Disappears' After Taking Money From Rich Man In Lagos (Photo)
- No Actress Dares Offer Me S*x For Movie Role - Kunle Afolayan
- Pastor Allegedly Abandons Wife In Canada, Returns To Nigeria To Marry Lady He Called His Sister
- Dollar slumps amidst monetary tightening plans
- Trade war: Trump’s strong-arm tactics with China slipping
- Local airline operators lament loses over failed national carrier
- Woman Cries After She Was Battered By Soldiers In Lagos