British filmmaker Lewis Gilbert has died at the age of 97, James Bond producers said of the director famed for his work on three 007 movies.
“It is with great sadness that we learn of the passing of our dear friend Lewis Gilbert,” producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli said Tuesday, describing the director as “a true gentleman”.
“He made an enormous contribution to the British film industry as well as the Bond films… His films are not only loved by us but are considered classics within the series,” the added.
Gilbert directed Sean Connery in the 1967 “You Only Live Twice”, returning to the British film series a decade later with “The Spy Who Loved Me” (1977) and “Moonraker” (1979) starring Roger Moore.
While most well-known for his work on the spy series, Gilbert also directed a young Michael Caine in the 1966 movie “Alfie” which gained four Oscar nominations.
Born in east London in 1920, Gilbert’s first directing credit came in 1945 with “The 10 Year Plan”, a documentary about postwar housing.
After a lengthy career including production and writing roles, his last of 33 directing credits came in 2002 with “Before You Go”.
“The BFI salutes the most prolific of British filmmakers,” said Heather Stewart, creative director of the British Film Institute which had awarded Gilbert a fellowship for outstanding contribution to British film.
Stewart praised the late director for telling stories of British wartime bravery, to creating working class heroes and “funny and real character studies of women” rarely seen on screen.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Access Bank profits plunges in Q1 of 2018
- Performing a monologue before V.P Osinbajo remains remarkable for me – Anyaduba
- How to Rest in God and Overcome Challenges
- FAAC cancels meeting over poor revenue returns by NNPC
- Shareholders commend Access Bank’s consistent dividend payout
- U.S Consulate spearheads human rights campaign
- ANAP queries FG over concession of airports
- Sale of UK subsidiary will not disrupt services, says Diamond Bank
- Melaye laments plights in police custody
- ISIS, not herdsmen responsible for killings – Doyin Okupe
- Policeman kills motorcyclist over N50 bribe
- Seafarers kicks over Marine Police extortion at sea
- Half of Nigeria-bound vehicles discharged in Cotonou port, says PTML
- Dear Buhari, what if the youths are lazy and entitled?
- TRAGIC! Man Who Survived Helicopter Crash Gets Sliced To Death During Rescue By Another Chopper
- Presidency Reacts To House of Reps Summoning Buhari
- PHOTO: Sick Nigerian Women Receiving Drip Under A Tree
- Lagos Govt. Approves Murder Trial of Husband of Lady Killed In Banana Island
- Protest In Senate Over Buhari’s Withdrawal of $496m Without Approval
- Subsidy increasing as rising oil price pushes petrol landing cost higher
- Here Are Ways To Whiten Your Teeth
- Outrage as gunmen kill more people in Benue State
- Dino Melaye In Handcuffs, His Arrest Forces Senate Shutdown
- Buhari To Be Summoned By House of Reps As Herdsmen Killings Gets Out of Control
- N322m 'Fraud': Delta Senator To Spend 2 Days In Prison
- Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Project: N64B Has Been Approved
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Buhari, south-south chairmen in collusion to ensure Tinubu’s ally eases out APC chairman Oyegun
- Banks refund N654m excess charges on FAAC accounts
- Too Much Killings: Reps Call For Sack Of Service Chiefs, Pass Vote Of No Confidence
- Life and times of Pa Ibidapo
- Customs have reduced smuggling on waterways – Comptroller
- Police hand-cuffs Sen. Melaye on sick bed, bars Saraki, others from visit
- MTN proposes $500m IPO – SEC
- DPR to shut down unlicensed petrol stations
- Buhari strengthens alliance with Tinubu
- Why we think Wenger was forced to resign
- Winning Odds: Who will win 2018 World Cup with 50 days to go?
- Saraki, others visit Melaye in hospital
- EFCC arraigns Senator for N805 million fraud