– The group alleged that military arbitrarily arrested and held thousands of young men, women and children in detention centres around the country
– It maintained that the military detained hundreds of women unlawfully, without charge
International rights group, amnesty international said at least 340 detainees arrested in the course of the war against the insurgent group died in military detention facility in Maiduguri due to disease, dehydration and starvation in 2017.
SaharaReporters reports that the group blamed the federal government and Nigerian military of gross violations of human rights in the prosecution of the war against Boko Haram.
Amnesty International said: “Reports continued of extrajudicial executions, enforced disappearances, and torture and other ill-treatment, which, in some cases, led to deaths in custody. Conditions in military detention conditions were harsh. Communal violence occurred across the country. Thousands of people were forcibly evicted from their homes.
“The military arbitrarily arrested and held thousands of young men, women and children in detention centres around the country. Detainees were denied access to lawyers and family members.’’
The group said the 340 detainees died in the Giwa Barracks detention facility due to disease, dehydration and starvation in 2007.
Amnesty said: “At least 200 children, as young as four, were detained in an overcrowded and unhygienic children’s cell. Some children were born in detention.
“The military detained hundreds of women unlawfully, without charge, some because they were believed to be related to Boko Haram members.
”Among them were women and girls who said they had been victims of Boko Haram. Women reported inhuman detention conditions, including a lack of health care for women giving birth in cells.”
Amnesty also noted that a special board of inquiry to investigate allegations of gross violations of human rights, established by the chief of army staff, found that Giwa barracks was extremely overcrowded, with poor sanitation and insufficient ventilation, factors which resulted in detainees’ deaths.
It also noted that the board cleared senior military officers, alleged to have committed crimes under international law, of wrongdoing.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had reported that the Nigerian armed forces resettlement centre Oshodi on Sunday, November 26, commenced a two-week entrepreneurship and management training programmes for 40 senior military officers of the general cadre.
The officers comprise of 15 from the Nigerian army, 10 from the navy, 10 from the Nigerian Air Force and 5 from NAFRC.
They are expected to within two weeks, come up with viable business plans that would be scrutinised by the training facilitators, Empretec Nigeria Foundation.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Offa Attack: Five bank staffers sacked; top police officers linked
- Bishop Oyedepo berates Buhari: Your government is a failure, God is angry with you
- The “approved” $1 billion for arms purchase
- Wading into the Oba-Emir Debate
- Melaye alleges plot to assassinate him
- Obama Foundation introduces new programme for emerging leaders in Africa
- APC Chairmanship: Oshiomhole’s candidature suffers setback
- Lagos Policemen Chased My Son To Death - Father
- Dino Melaye: They snatched my passport, I snatched it back
- EFCC Arrests Ibori’s Man, Senator Nwaoboshi Over N6B "Fraud"
- Lagos Security Man Arrested For Impregnating His Daughter
- Melaye trapped, helpless as police speaks on reinforced siege
- Dino Melaye surrenders
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Check out The Characteristics of a Good and Decent Hotel
- Saraki, Tambuwal Won’t Decamp To PDP - Governor
- Nigerian Lawmaker Loses 4 Kids, 7 Relatives In Fatal Accident
- Armed Policemen Storm Dino Melaye's House... Police give reason
- Lawmaker’s Suspension: What The Law Says
- Nigeria vies for two positions in ITU
- Super forward: European club wants Ronaldo, Sane and Salah
- Kunle, Aremu disagree over their father’s financial status
- Evidence Destruction: Court decides Metuh’s fate
- Mercy Johnson Okojie has a new endorsement
- What Roman Abramovich stands to lose if Antonio Conte is sacked?
- IDPs, police clash at Melaye’s residence as siege continues
- Nigeria might lose investors – Sanusi
- Naira steady at N363/$ as Pound crashes lowest in weeks
- NFF electoral committee commences work
- Highly-rated Arsenal youngster tipped to leave for free transfer
- Putin orders massive military men, materiel, 50 ops in preparation against enemy West
- NSE: Bull loses control as Index down by 0.15%
- Eko disco restores power to community after 9 months outage
- Buhari returned empty-handed from UK visit – PDP
- Considering a Spaniard for Arsenal job
- Big Brother Naija: Multichoice may have raked in N5.1 billion
- Again, poliice descends on Melaye’s home in Abuja hours after release
- Bukola Saraki’s aide in ghost worker scam
- SEC extends amnesty for shareholders with multiple IPOs subscriptions
- NCC blames SIM box operators over call masking