– An agency of the United Nations, World Health Organisation, has frowned against unnecessary caesarean section that pregnant women are subjected to
– The agency said that women are subjected to C-section because doctors and midwives think they are taking too long to give birth
– WHO stated that this practice is rampant in many nations of the world
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has expressed displeasure over unnecessary caesarean section that pregnant women are subjected to in the course of child birth.
WHO stated that women are being pushed into unnecessary C-section because they are not given enough time to give birth, Daily Trust reports.
NAIJ.com gathered that the agency on Monday, February 19, issued new childbirth guidance removing the emphasis on a timescale over which a ‘normal’ labour should take place.
According to WHO, increasing medicalisation of childbirth has meant unnecessary interventions have become rampant in many nations, usually because doctors think women are taking too long to give birth.
Guidelines dating back to the 1950s suggest a normal birth should be expected to progress at a set pace – roughly 1cm of dilation every hour.
But mounting evidence suggests that this is inaccurate and often childbirth takes far longer.
The WHO on Monday, February 19, said women are being forced into having unnecessary procedures because midwives and doctors think labour was taking too long. And the new advice says slow progress alone should not be a trigger for intervention.
A medical officer in WHO’s department of reproductive health and research, Dr Olufemi Oladapo, said: “What has been happening over the last two decades is that we are having more and more interventions being applied unnecessarily to women.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that a woman delivered her baby twins using her own hands during a caesarean section in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.
Gerri Wolfe, 41, gave birth to her 10th and 11th children, Matilda and Violet, in an unusual procedure – maternal assisted caesarean.
Although Wolfe’s gynaecologist and husband were against this idea, she got her own way and said: “It’s my body, it’s my birth, it’s my baby. This is what I need to reclaim my birth – to make it more personal for me, so I can be a good mother.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Luiz keen on Chelsea’s stay
- Oil marketers dare FG, shut down depots
- Christianity under siege in China
- Oil marketers suspend strike, gives FG 5-day grace
- Banks spend N555bn in nine months for customers’ relations
- Govenor Amosun in urgent meeting with Buhari
- Access Bank bags CBN’s Award
- 2019 Election: Senate declares public hearing on vote-buying
- AMCON says asset management partners to help recover N740bn
- DMO enlists support of sub-national entities in managing Nigeria’s rising public debt
- Brilliant Nigerian Lady Abisoye Wins CNN Heroes Awards 2018
- Sharing Trader Moni Weeks To Election Is Vote Buying - Dogara
- EFCC Reveals Why They Raided Atiku's Sons Apartment
- Nigeria's GDP Rises To 1.81% In Third Quarter, After Falling From 7% Since 2016
- Offa robbery: Police debunks report on missing stolen money
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- Riverplate Clinch Copa Libertadores After Edging Out Boca
- FIFA & France Sign Agreement on African Football
- Tinubu Is My Friend, But I'll Free Lagos From Him - Jimi Agbaje
- Seriously? Human Bones Found Buried in Front of Popular Hotel in Lagos
- See Actor Gideon Okeke Getting His Lips Stitched After Being Brutalized By Policemen In Lagos
- I Was Aspiring To Be Chief Of Staff But God Turned The Table Around - Sanwo-Olu
- Atiku's Sons Apartment Raided By EFCC In Abuja
- Senator kicks against overriding Buhari’s veto
- Buhari constitutes committee on state’s judiciary autonomy
- Woman Brutally Attacked by Robbers on Her Way from Church in Rivers (Photos)
- True Story Of Metele Attacks - Surviving Soldier Reveals What Really Happened
- Money Rituals: Man Who Asked For Human Head Busted
- Winners Members Narrowly Escape Death While Returning From Shiloh (Photos)
- Buhari Worried over 2019, to Meet APC Governors, Oshiomhole
- Shell MD Escapes Prison As Appeal Court Nullifies Sentence
- Bishop Oyedepo: 2019 Will Be Peaceful, There Will Be Change For The Better
- Stop Sealing Suspects’ Assets & Render Them Useless - Falana tells EFCC
- 2019: T.Y. Danjuma's Group Meets Today To Pick Consensus Presidential Candidate
- We Will Not Allow Saraki Humiliate Buhari On Electoral Bill - APC Senators Vow
- Trouble: Oil Marketers To Shut Down All Loading Operations By Midnight
- Akpabio: I Brought Emmanuel Udom From Lagos & Made Him Governor
- See What Armed Robbers Did To This Lady In A Bus (Photos)
- 2019: Obasanjo Slams Buhari