– An agency of the United Nations, World Health Organisation, has frowned against unnecessary caesarean section that pregnant women are subjected to
– The agency said that women are subjected to C-section because doctors and midwives think they are taking too long to give birth
– WHO stated that this practice is rampant in many nations of the world
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has expressed displeasure over unnecessary caesarean section that pregnant women are subjected to in the course of child birth.
WHO stated that women are being pushed into unnecessary C-section because they are not given enough time to give birth, Daily Trust reports.
NAIJ.com gathered that the agency on Monday, February 19, issued new childbirth guidance removing the emphasis on a timescale over which a ‘normal’ labour should take place.
According to WHO, increasing medicalisation of childbirth has meant unnecessary interventions have become rampant in many nations, usually because doctors think women are taking too long to give birth.
Guidelines dating back to the 1950s suggest a normal birth should be expected to progress at a set pace – roughly 1cm of dilation every hour.
But mounting evidence suggests that this is inaccurate and often childbirth takes far longer.
The WHO on Monday, February 19, said women are being forced into having unnecessary procedures because midwives and doctors think labour was taking too long. And the new advice says slow progress alone should not be a trigger for intervention.
A medical officer in WHO’s department of reproductive health and research, Dr Olufemi Oladapo, said: “What has been happening over the last two decades is that we are having more and more interventions being applied unnecessarily to women.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that a woman delivered her baby twins using her own hands during a caesarean section in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.
Gerri Wolfe, 41, gave birth to her 10th and 11th children, Matilda and Violet, in an unusual procedure – maternal assisted caesarean.
Although Wolfe’s gynaecologist and husband were against this idea, she got her own way and said: “It’s my body, it’s my birth, it’s my baby. This is what I need to reclaim my birth – to make it more personal for me, so I can be a good mother.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Man Arrested For Plotting His In-Law’s Kidnap, Murder
- Stranded Nigerians In Russia Return Home
- DPO, Policemen Beat Chief Magistrate, Lawyers For Discharging Robbery Suspects
- VP Osinbajo Orders 72-hour Joint Operation To Clear Apapa Traffic Gridlock
- Aregbesola’s Chief Of Staff Emerges Osun APC Governorship Candidate
- Man Arraigned For Dumping Fiancée After Duping Her
- Buhari Has Deceived Nigerians – Turaki
- UK Reacts To Ekiti Election: Vote-Buying As Bad As Rigging
- Five Important Baby Toy Safety Tips
- Buhari To Commission Bayelsa Airport With Longest Runway
- I'm Done With APC, No Going Back - Governor Ortom Declares
- Shock As Police Storm Hotel Im Delta, Nab Federal Prisons Staff, 6 Others For Kidnapping
- Son Kills Mother Over Money In Lagos
- How Buhari, APC Chairman, Governors Are Begging Saraki
- Here's The Girl Whose Body Was Dumped After She Was Killed By Her Boyfriend
- FG, States, Lgs Share N668.89b After FAAC Deadlock
- 'Kemi Adeosun's NYSC Certificate Is As Fake As Buhari's Integrity'
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- "It’s Not Our Responsibility" - Lagos BRT Staff Reply Passengers Over Dirtiness Of Bus
- Come Out Or We Declare You Wanted - Police Warns Dino Melaye
- Young Boy Kills Girlfriend, Dumps Her Dead Body By The Roadside In Edo (Details)
- "You Have Case To Answer" - Lawyer Sues APC's Joe Igbokwe Over Supreme Court Bribe Claim
- Dancing Senator, Adeleke In Certificate Scandal?
- Two Men Sitting On Moving Train In Lagos; Fall, Die (Photos)
- Covenant University Graduates 238 With First Class... Pretty Lady Emerges Overall Best
- Young Soldier Killed After Being Lured Out By A Lady (Photos)
- Baby Rescued After Being Put Under Trailer By Mum To Be Crushed
- Presidential race 2019: Atiku will send Buhari packing from Aso Rock in 2019 – PDP
- MTN lost N12bn in four days of picketing by NLC
- I still have ten more year in boxing –A. Joshua
- Criminal intent applications fuelling cyber security threat — UN
- What Cristiano Ronaldo said about Messi after Juventus unveiling
- INEC admits votes buying in Ekiti governorship election
- The importance of integrating “ethics” in education
- Avoid Ponzi Schemes – SEC warns Nigerians
- NLNG seeks $7 billion for sustainability and Train 7 expansion
- NLNG awards FEED contracts for Train 7
- Presidency Insults Nigerian Elders? Says They're Hungry, Shedding Crocodile Tears On Security
- Photos Of Tuface and His Cute Sons In New York
- 2019: President Buhari Speaks On His Bid For A Second Term