– An agency of the United Nations, World Health Organisation, has frowned against unnecessary caesarean section that pregnant women are subjected to
– The agency said that women are subjected to C-section because doctors and midwives think they are taking too long to give birth
– WHO stated that this practice is rampant in many nations of the world
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has expressed displeasure over unnecessary caesarean section that pregnant women are subjected to in the course of child birth.
WHO stated that women are being pushed into unnecessary C-section because they are not given enough time to give birth, Daily Trust reports.
NAIJ.com gathered that the agency on Monday, February 19, issued new childbirth guidance removing the emphasis on a timescale over which a ‘normal’ labour should take place.
According to WHO, increasing medicalisation of childbirth has meant unnecessary interventions have become rampant in many nations, usually because doctors think women are taking too long to give birth.
Guidelines dating back to the 1950s suggest a normal birth should be expected to progress at a set pace – roughly 1cm of dilation every hour.
But mounting evidence suggests that this is inaccurate and often childbirth takes far longer.
The WHO on Monday, February 19, said women are being forced into having unnecessary procedures because midwives and doctors think labour was taking too long. And the new advice says slow progress alone should not be a trigger for intervention.
A medical officer in WHO’s department of reproductive health and research, Dr Olufemi Oladapo, said: “What has been happening over the last two decades is that we are having more and more interventions being applied unnecessarily to women.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that a woman delivered her baby twins using her own hands during a caesarean section in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.
Gerri Wolfe, 41, gave birth to her 10th and 11th children, Matilda and Violet, in an unusual procedure – maternal assisted caesarean.
Although Wolfe’s gynaecologist and husband were against this idea, she got her own way and said: “It’s my body, it’s my birth, it’s my baby. This is what I need to reclaim my birth – to make it more personal for me, so I can be a good mother.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- FRSC 2018 Recruitment Screening Time-Table & Dates
- Buhari Jets Out To New York For UN General Assembly
- PhD Holder Employed As Primary School Teacher In Kaduna
- Female Kidnapper, Others Arrested As Little Boy Is Rescued
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Ways To Stay Physically Active
- Ribadu joins race for Adamawa State House
- Why Skye Bank license was revoked- CBN
- Face Of Man Who Deliberately Infected His 2 Girlfriends With HIV
- I'm Not Endosing Anybody, Don't Waste Time Coming To Beg Me - Tinubu speaks
- 2019: Why Kwankwaso Can Defeat Buhari – Fani-Kayode
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins His Polling Unit In Osun Election
- Deadly Cultist who Killed Corper at ATM Point Finally Arrested
- Osun poll: APC, PDP trade blames over allegations of vote-buying
- Osun Decides 2018: Results Are Showing No Clear Winner
- No Whistle-Blower Will Get 5% Of Our Money – NNPC
- Old Woman Faints While Casting Vote In Osun Election
- Let’s Not Push Our Luck & Destroy Nigeria - Abdulsalami Warns
- Ambode: Loyal Supporters Begin Serious Prayer
- Abdusalami says he hates certain politicians warming up for 2019
- Osun Election: APC Candidate, Gboyega Oyetola Casts His Vote
- Amaechi Reacts: Abe conspiring with Wike to pull me down
- NYSC Replies Minister Adebayo Shittu: "You Have No Excuse"
- ADC Governorship Candidate Cast His Vote In Osun Election
- FRSC Officials Beg As Mob Beats Them For "Causing" Accident
- Osun Election: Cadet Claiming To Be INEC Official Nabbed
- Atiku, Saraki, others divide PDP BoT
- PDP agent arrested for buying votes in Adeleke’s LGA
- Osun Election Photos: PDP's Adeleke Casts His Vote
- Pastor Goes Into Hiding After He Was Shot In Port Harcourt
- "How Big Politician R*ped Me In Hotel' - Nigerian Lady Cries
- Rivers State Overtakes Lagos As Top Investment Destination
- Man Shot In The Head, Dies During Shoot-out In APC Secretariat
- Tambuwal: Buhari now desperate to perpetuate self in power
- Police Arrest Drver For Allegedly Killing Professor
- Lai Mohammed Replies PDP: You're Now Panic Mode
- S*x, Alcohol, Hard Drugs: Revelations On Life In NYSC Camps
- Minimum Wage: FG Makes New Promises Over NLC Ultimatum
- Jimi Agbaje; Time to Free Lagos State is Now
- "Ambode Will Get PDP Form From Me, I'll Sell My House & Buy it"