– The minister of defence offered cheques worth over N800 to families of soldiers who died in the line of duty
– The minister promised that more cheques will be issued soon
– The chief of defence staff advised the recipients of the funds to spend it on the education of children of the diseased soldiers
The minister of defence, Mansur Dan Ali on Monday, February 19, offered cheques worth over N800 million to Next Of Kin (NOK) of deceased soldiers who died in the line of duty.
Speaking at a ceremony to distribute over 122 cheques to the beneficiaries, the minister said the scheme commenced in 2010 and more cheques would be issued in the weeks to come, Daily Trust reports.
He said: “This is a clear demonstration of the commitment of President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration by making sure the welfare of our gallant troop is a priority particularly the family of our men, who died in active service is well catered for.”
NAIJ.com gathered that Dan Ali said the Group Life Assurance Scheme for the Armed Forces emanated from the Pension Reform Act 2004, which excluded members of the Armed Forces from the Contributory Pension Scheme (CPS).
He said with the extant policy of “No Premium No Cover” on life insurance, some personnel who died during the uncovered period were not computed under the scheme.
He, however, said the ministry is in the process of computing the entitlements of the NOKs that fell within the uninsured period, in order to seek for approval and make payments accordingly.
The chief of defence staff, represented by the director of legal services, Defence Headquarters, Air Vice Marshal Ibrahim Shafii urged the NOKs to invest the funds in the education of children of the deceased soldiers.
NAIJ.com previously reported that Nigeria police pensions limited said it had commenced payment of the N400m saved annually from its investments to retired police personnel since January 2017.
Hamza Sule, the managing director of the company, made the disclosure in Enugu on Monday, February 12, at a pre-retirement seminar for police personnel retiring between January 1 and June 30, 2018 for the southeast zone.
Sule said that the N400 million was not part of their pensions as the pension entitlement would still be intact.
List President Buhari’s achievements in two years – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Luiz keen on Chelsea’s stay
- Oil marketers dare FG, shut down depots
- Christianity under siege in China
- Oil marketers suspend strike, gives FG 5-day grace
- Banks spend N555bn in nine months for customers’ relations
- Govenor Amosun in urgent meeting with Buhari
- Access Bank bags CBN’s Award
- 2019 Election: Senate declares public hearing on vote-buying
- AMCON says asset management partners to help recover N740bn
- DMO enlists support of sub-national entities in managing Nigeria’s rising public debt
- Brilliant Nigerian Lady Abisoye Wins CNN Heroes Awards 2018
- Sharing Trader Moni Weeks To Election Is Vote Buying - Dogara
- EFCC Reveals Why They Raided Atiku's Sons Apartment
- Nigeria's GDP Rises To 1.81% In Third Quarter, After Falling From 7% Since 2016
- Offa robbery: Police debunks report on missing stolen money
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- Riverplate Clinch Copa Libertadores After Edging Out Boca
- FIFA & France Sign Agreement on African Football
- Tinubu Is My Friend, But I'll Free Lagos From Him - Jimi Agbaje
- Seriously? Human Bones Found Buried in Front of Popular Hotel in Lagos
- See Actor Gideon Okeke Getting His Lips Stitched After Being Brutalized By Policemen In Lagos
- I Was Aspiring To Be Chief Of Staff But God Turned The Table Around - Sanwo-Olu
- Atiku's Sons Apartment Raided By EFCC In Abuja
- Senator kicks against overriding Buhari’s veto
- Buhari constitutes committee on state’s judiciary autonomy
- Woman Brutally Attacked by Robbers on Her Way from Church in Rivers (Photos)
- True Story Of Metele Attacks - Surviving Soldier Reveals What Really Happened
- Money Rituals: Man Who Asked For Human Head Busted
- Winners Members Narrowly Escape Death While Returning From Shiloh (Photos)
- Buhari Worried over 2019, to Meet APC Governors, Oshiomhole
- Shell MD Escapes Prison As Appeal Court Nullifies Sentence
- Bishop Oyedepo: 2019 Will Be Peaceful, There Will Be Change For The Better
- Stop Sealing Suspects’ Assets & Render Them Useless - Falana tells EFCC
- 2019: T.Y. Danjuma's Group Meets Today To Pick Consensus Presidential Candidate
- We Will Not Allow Saraki Humiliate Buhari On Electoral Bill - APC Senators Vow
- Trouble: Oil Marketers To Shut Down All Loading Operations By Midnight
- Akpabio: I Brought Emmanuel Udom From Lagos & Made Him Governor
- See What Armed Robbers Did To This Lady In A Bus (Photos)
- 2019: Obasanjo Slams Buhari