– The minister of defence offered cheques worth over N800 to families of soldiers who died in the line of duty
– The minister promised that more cheques will be issued soon
– The chief of defence staff advised the recipients of the funds to spend it on the education of children of the diseased soldiers
The minister of defence, Mansur Dan Ali on Monday, February 19, offered cheques worth over N800 million to Next Of Kin (NOK) of deceased soldiers who died in the line of duty.
Speaking at a ceremony to distribute over 122 cheques to the beneficiaries, the minister said the scheme commenced in 2010 and more cheques would be issued in the weeks to come, Daily Trust reports.
He said: “This is a clear demonstration of the commitment of President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration by making sure the welfare of our gallant troop is a priority particularly the family of our men, who died in active service is well catered for.”
NAIJ.com gathered that Dan Ali said the Group Life Assurance Scheme for the Armed Forces emanated from the Pension Reform Act 2004, which excluded members of the Armed Forces from the Contributory Pension Scheme (CPS).
He said with the extant policy of “No Premium No Cover” on life insurance, some personnel who died during the uncovered period were not computed under the scheme.
He, however, said the ministry is in the process of computing the entitlements of the NOKs that fell within the uninsured period, in order to seek for approval and make payments accordingly.
The chief of defence staff, represented by the director of legal services, Defence Headquarters, Air Vice Marshal Ibrahim Shafii urged the NOKs to invest the funds in the education of children of the deceased soldiers.
NAIJ.com previously reported that Nigeria police pensions limited said it had commenced payment of the N400m saved annually from its investments to retired police personnel since January 2017.
Hamza Sule, the managing director of the company, made the disclosure in Enugu on Monday, February 12, at a pre-retirement seminar for police personnel retiring between January 1 and June 30, 2018 for the southeast zone.
Sule said that the N400 million was not part of their pensions as the pension entitlement would still be intact.
List President Buhari’s achievements in two years – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Saraki Reacts To Fayemi's Victory In Ekiti Governorship Election
- PDP governor differs with colleagues, party on Fayemi victory
- Lawmaker arrested for arming suspects with pump-action guns
- Flying Eagles return, set to conquer ‘tough’ Mauritanians
- Croatia coach attributes success in Russia to holy rosary
- Onyekuru completes Galatasaray loan switch
- There is crisis in NFF —Dalung
- Delta Stars take on Go-Round in Mid-season Club Friendly
- NBBF calls 28 players for World cup Camp in Atlanta
- Anbode rescues stranded Nigerians in Russia
- Why the nose dive of Nigeria players playing big time Football
- “FIFA won’t invoke its Statutes in Nigeria if there was no interference”
- Ekiti: Atiku cautions PDP, Fayose supporters
- President Buhari Reacts To Fayemi's Victory In Ekiti Election
- SCARY! Gunmen Ambush & Kill Policemen At A Checkpoint In Edo, Set Them On Fire
- VP Osinbajo Celebrates His Wife With Sweet Words
- Woman Robbed & Killed While Going Home At Night (Photos)
- Ekiti Governor-Elect Fayemi Reacts, Makes New Promises
- "We Were Chained Together & Covered With Tarpaulin For 10 Days" - Kidnapped Reverend Sisters
- Breaking: Chris Okotie seeks APC, PDP mandate to lead Nigeria
- Footballer Obafemi Martins Shows Off His New House n Lagos
- PDP Rejects Ekiti Election Outcome, Says Results Were Concocted By APC And INEC
- NYSC fake certificate scandal: Buhari denies holding meeting with Bakare, Adeosun
- Political torments in Ekiti: NBC shuts Ekiti Broadcasting Service indefinitely
- Ekiti: Fayemi wins as PDP calls for annulment
- Ekiti: Unbelievable but true, story behind election result
- Boy With Windswept Legs Overjoyed After Undergoing Surgery To Correct Deformity
- Flood Destroys Property In Ogun State, Over 10 Persons Killed
- INEC Declares APC's Kayode Fayemi Winner Of Ekiti Election
- Lagos House of Assembly Member Arrested Over Guns Found With 'Criminals'
- Notorious Kidnappers Arrested During Ransom In Delta
- Update on Adeosun’s fake certificate scandal: Controversial certificate not issued by NYSC – former DG
- 5 Key Considerations For Purchasing A New Smartphone
- Dino Melaye Thanks Goodluck Jonathan For Completing 85% Of Abuja Light Rail
- Loaded Car Plunges Into River After Somersaulting 3 Times
- Ekiti Election: APC Candidate Fayemi Wins (Full Details)
- Boyfriend Used Charms On My Daughter – Ex-Ondo Deputy Gov
- Ekiti TV, Radio Shut By NBC After Fayose Announced Results
- Obasanjo Agrees To Lead Coalition To Defeat Buhari In 2019
- PRAYER FOR TODAY