– The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, said the former vice president would be buried on February 2
– He said the burial committee has come up with a nine-day long programme starting from January 19 to February 2
The burial committee set up to plan a state burial for late Alex Ekwueme has said that the former vice President will be buried on February 2.
NAIJ.com gathered that the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, made this known while briefing journalists on Thursday, January 18 in Abuja.
Dr Alex Ekwueme, Nigeria’s second republic vice president died last year in a London Hospital at the age of 85.
Mustapha, who is the chairman of the committee, was represented by Chris Ngige, minister of labour and productivity, who is also a member of the committee.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the committee, which was inaugurated on the December 15, 2017, has come up with a nine-day long programme for the burial.
The programme will start from the January 19 to February 2, 2018.
The SGF described the first elected vice president of Nigeria as an accomplished architect, town planner, philanthropist and politician.
Mustapha noted that the death of Ekwueme was a painful loss to his family and the nation at large, while announcing the details of the ceremony as follows:
On Friday January 19 at 2.p.m, there will be a memorial service at Cathedral Church of Christ, Marina Lagos, while at 5.p.m, there will be the evening of tributes and music at Muson Centre, Onikan Lagos.
On Saturday January 27 at 2.p.m, there will be a memorial service at St Marylebone Parish Church London.
On Sunday, January 28 at 6.p.m, there will be a service of songs and evening of tributes at the International Conference Centre, Abuja.
Similarly, on Monday, January 29 at 12 p.m., there will be a parade of honour at the Presidential wing, Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, after which body departs immediately to Enugu and will be received by South-east governors at the airport.
On Tuesday, January 30 at 4.p.m, there will be a Service of Songs at Cathedral Church of the Good Shepherd, Independence Layout Enugu.
Accordingly, on Wednesday January 31 at 10.a.m, there will be South-east commendation service at Okpara square Enugu.
On Thursday, February 1 at 10 a.m., body departs for Awka at 12. p.m., there will be Anambra Commendation service at Ekwueme square, Awka.
Also at 4 p.m. body departs for Oko, Ekwueme’s home town and at 5.p.m, there will be service of songs at his residence.
Also, on Friday, February 2 at 8.a.m, there will be lying-in-state at his residence; and 11.a.m. will be the funeral service, at St. John the Divine Church, Oko, followed by interment and reception.
On Sunday, February 11 at 9 a.m, there will be an outing service, at the St John the Divine Church, Oko.
The SGF, however, called on all professional groups and individuals whose lives and interests were impacted on by the departed statesman to be part of the burial ceremonies to pay him their last respect.(NAN)
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that the federal government has set up a committee headed by Boss Mustapha, the secretary general of the federation, on Tuesday, December 5 to plan a good burial programme for Ekwueme.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 2019:Former Speaker confirms how much Ambode still needs prayer
- Osun poll: PDP kicks against rerun
- Photos Of President Buhari & Wife Departing Nigeria For US
- Female Footballers Involve In Bus Accident In Kogi, Their Driver Is Unconscious
- "How I Joined Kidney Business" - Human Kidneys' Hunters
- Saraki Wins Over Omisore of SDP to Support PDP Defeat APC?
- Lagos 2019: Sanwo-Olu compounds Ambode’s woes
- Kwese Premier League resumes with Conference eight crackers.
- Top five Nigerian players in the UEFA Europa League this week
- I celebrate Akinwunmi over NFF victory—-MFM FC new director
- Aisha Buhari departs for New York to attend UNGA
- Anthony Joshua defeats Povetkin in seventh round
- Kogi United pips NAF Rockets to maintain promotion chase
- Buruj boys to present trophies to Ambode
- Saraki’s Senate has failed Nigerians—Senator
- Boat mishap claims lives in Borno
- Details Of 7 Units Where Rerun Will Hold In Osun September 27
- Lady Jumps Out Of A Moving Car To Escape Robbery In Abuja
- Ras Kimono's Wife Dies Just 3 Months After Husband's Death
- Prince Kazeem Eletu Odibo Empowers His PRO With Cash As She Adds Another Years
- Osun Decides: INEC Planning To Declare Election Inconclusive?
- Woman Breaks Down In Tears As Pastor Gave Her Entire Church Offerings (Photos)
- BREAKING: Osun Governorship Election Declared Inconclusive
- Tinubu/Ambode feud: Lagos APC insists on primary
- You Have My Blessings - IBB assures Tambuwal
- Dangerous Flood: Monarch weeps as town go under water
- Why Ooni of Ife Did Not Vote Yesterday In Osun Election
- Saraki Warns INEC On Osun Election: "We're Watching You"
- Osun: PDP leads as APC puts all hope on Osogbo
- Obasanjo's Refusal To Support Atiku For 2019: Ex-VP Reacts
- Vote Buying & Selling Get To A Level In Osun Election - Monitors
- Fire Guts Big Factory In Ondo, Destroys N100m Equipment
- Tinunu Ignores Meeting To Take 'Final' Decision On Ambode
- Comedian AY Clears The Air On His "Incentive Comment" About D'band & Wife
- Police, Others Praised For Professional Conduct In Osun Poll
- Osinbajo Says No Discrimination In Buhari’s Administration
- Pregnant Woman Give Birth At Delta IDP’s Camp
- Rivers 2019: Three Friends In Serious Battle
- Comedian Bovi Surprises Wife with A Benz for Her 30th Birthday
- Osun poll: Adeleke in early lead as INEC announces results