– The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, said the former vice president would be buried on February 2
– He said the burial committee has come up with a nine-day long programme starting from January 19 to February 2
The burial committee set up to plan a state burial for late Alex Ekwueme has said that the former vice President will be buried on February 2.
NAIJ.com gathered that the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, made this known while briefing journalists on Thursday, January 18 in Abuja.
Dr Alex Ekwueme, Nigeria’s second republic vice president died last year in a London Hospital at the age of 85.
Mustapha, who is the chairman of the committee, was represented by Chris Ngige, minister of labour and productivity, who is also a member of the committee.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the committee, which was inaugurated on the December 15, 2017, has come up with a nine-day long programme for the burial.
The programme will start from the January 19 to February 2, 2018.
The SGF described the first elected vice president of Nigeria as an accomplished architect, town planner, philanthropist and politician.
Mustapha noted that the death of Ekwueme was a painful loss to his family and the nation at large, while announcing the details of the ceremony as follows:
On Friday January 19 at 2.p.m, there will be a memorial service at Cathedral Church of Christ, Marina Lagos, while at 5.p.m, there will be the evening of tributes and music at Muson Centre, Onikan Lagos.
On Saturday January 27 at 2.p.m, there will be a memorial service at St Marylebone Parish Church London.
On Sunday, January 28 at 6.p.m, there will be a service of songs and evening of tributes at the International Conference Centre, Abuja.
Similarly, on Monday, January 29 at 12 p.m., there will be a parade of honour at the Presidential wing, Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, after which body departs immediately to Enugu and will be received by South-east governors at the airport.
On Tuesday, January 30 at 4.p.m, there will be a Service of Songs at Cathedral Church of the Good Shepherd, Independence Layout Enugu.
Accordingly, on Wednesday January 31 at 10.a.m, there will be South-east commendation service at Okpara square Enugu.
On Thursday, February 1 at 10 a.m., body departs for Awka at 12. p.m., there will be Anambra Commendation service at Ekwueme square, Awka.
Also at 4 p.m. body departs for Oko, Ekwueme’s home town and at 5.p.m, there will be service of songs at his residence.
Also, on Friday, February 2 at 8.a.m, there will be lying-in-state at his residence; and 11.a.m. will be the funeral service, at St. John the Divine Church, Oko, followed by interment and reception.
On Sunday, February 11 at 9 a.m, there will be an outing service, at the St John the Divine Church, Oko.
The SGF, however, called on all professional groups and individuals whose lives and interests were impacted on by the departed statesman to be part of the burial ceremonies to pay him their last respect.(NAN)
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that the federal government has set up a committee headed by Boss Mustapha, the secretary general of the federation, on Tuesday, December 5 to plan a good burial programme for Ekwueme.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Super Eagles' Winning Bonus Increased By $5,000 To Spur Them To Victory
- Father Meets His Biological Son First Time In 50 Years After DNA Test Confirmation
- Oil prices drop on US-China trade war
- N223m fraud: Senators tackle ex-SGF over innocence claim
- Tension as APC meets to ratify delegates’ list for convention
- I Left Nigeria Rich, Returned Miserable – Returnee
- Faces of men caught over attempted kidnap of female Customs Deputy Comptroller
- Lai Mohammed Says Buhari Is Transforming Nigeria
- Arrested One-Chance Robbers Hit Victim With Hammer; Say "we're surprised he died"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How To Prevent Leg Cramps During A Long Journey
- Female Soldier Who Escaped Attack On Her Wedding Day Dies In Fatal Accident (Photo)
- Notorious Sea Pirates Terrorizing Nigerians Finally Caught
- Lagos Landlord Slumps, Dies After Disagreement With Tenant
- Ex-PDP Chairman Makarfi battles Atiku for PDP presidential ticket
- Another Deadly Attack By Boko Haram; Over 30 Killed
- Dozens killed in fresh Boko Haram attack
- 2019: Makarfi to contest with Atiku, others for PDP presidential ticket
- Group warns of planned attacks on Agip oil facilities
- TCN gives reasons for epileptic power supply
- APC disqualifies 19 aspirants from convention
- APC in Rivers solidly behind Amaechi – Peterside
- Arrested “herdsmen” finger politicians as sponsors
- Nigerian Air Force bombs communities in Benue
- “Buhari’s govt is the most transparent”
- Happy Father's Day
- NewPDP Faces Tension Over Moves To Dump APC
- Kidnappers Who Disguised As SARS Operatives Nabbed In Lagos
- Fight Among APC Leaders, Governors Over National Convention
- How To Travel On A Budget and Still Have Fun
- Criminal Who Made Over N50m From Kidnapping Nabbed
- Customs Bust Top Smugglers, Seize N1.3bn Rice, Vehicles
- Peace Corps To Buhari: Order IGP To Unseal Our Office
- Only looters are against Buhari’s second term bid – Kalu
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Russia 2018 World Cup instructions restricting assistant referees
- I’m feeling good before WC opener —Etebo
- Africa representatives current form for the Russia 2018 world cup
- I am sure Super Eagles will pull through in Russia—Agali
- Key points from Argentina-Iceland game