– The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, said the former vice president would be buried on February 2
– He said the burial committee has come up with a nine-day long programme starting from January 19 to February 2
The burial committee set up to plan a state burial for late Alex Ekwueme has said that the former vice President will be buried on February 2.
NAIJ.com gathered that the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, made this known while briefing journalists on Thursday, January 18 in Abuja.
Dr Alex Ekwueme, Nigeria’s second republic vice president died last year in a London Hospital at the age of 85.
Mustapha, who is the chairman of the committee, was represented by Chris Ngige, minister of labour and productivity, who is also a member of the committee.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the committee, which was inaugurated on the December 15, 2017, has come up with a nine-day long programme for the burial.
The programme will start from the January 19 to February 2, 2018.
The SGF described the first elected vice president of Nigeria as an accomplished architect, town planner, philanthropist and politician.
Mustapha noted that the death of Ekwueme was a painful loss to his family and the nation at large, while announcing the details of the ceremony as follows:
On Friday January 19 at 2.p.m, there will be a memorial service at Cathedral Church of Christ, Marina Lagos, while at 5.p.m, there will be the evening of tributes and music at Muson Centre, Onikan Lagos.
On Saturday January 27 at 2.p.m, there will be a memorial service at St Marylebone Parish Church London.
On Sunday, January 28 at 6.p.m, there will be a service of songs and evening of tributes at the International Conference Centre, Abuja.
Similarly, on Monday, January 29 at 12 p.m., there will be a parade of honour at the Presidential wing, Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, after which body departs immediately to Enugu and will be received by South-east governors at the airport.
On Tuesday, January 30 at 4.p.m, there will be a Service of Songs at Cathedral Church of the Good Shepherd, Independence Layout Enugu.
Accordingly, on Wednesday January 31 at 10.a.m, there will be South-east commendation service at Okpara square Enugu.
On Thursday, February 1 at 10 a.m., body departs for Awka at 12. p.m., there will be Anambra Commendation service at Ekwueme square, Awka.
Also at 4 p.m. body departs for Oko, Ekwueme’s home town and at 5.p.m, there will be service of songs at his residence.
Also, on Friday, February 2 at 8.a.m, there will be lying-in-state at his residence; and 11.a.m. will be the funeral service, at St. John the Divine Church, Oko, followed by interment and reception.
On Sunday, February 11 at 9 a.m, there will be an outing service, at the St John the Divine Church, Oko.
The SGF, however, called on all professional groups and individuals whose lives and interests were impacted on by the departed statesman to be part of the burial ceremonies to pay him their last respect.(NAN)
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that the federal government has set up a committee headed by Boss Mustapha, the secretary general of the federation, on Tuesday, December 5 to plan a good burial programme for Ekwueme.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- FRSC worries about Kaduna-Abuja roads
- 2019: Obasanjo insists he wants Buhari out
- South Africa, Cameroon not downcast
- Only A Fool Will Be Neutral When Nigeria Suffer Incompetence & Nepotism – Obasanjo
- Court May Compel Buhari To Investigate Ganduje's Dollar Bribe
- Electoral Amendment: Majority leader backs Buhari
- Northern Leaders Withdraw Support for Buhari over Revelation by his wife, Aisha?
- Police Beat Up Popular Actor Gideon Okeke In Lagos (Photos)
- Man Disgraced As He Was Caught Trying To Steal Ladies' Pant For Money Ritual in Delta
- FG states resolve on INEC’s security
- Super Falcons to know World Cup foes
- Beach Soccer AFCON: Supersand Eagles tackle Senegal
- Father Mbaka ‘Escapes’ Assassination
- Atiku As 2019 Consensus Candidate: PDP Moves To Get Other Parties' Support
- David De Gea is ranked best goalkeeper
- 19th NSF games schedule for Saturday as 23 events go down today
- Team Anambra should stay together to win —-Tony Oli
- NAPF President, Babaginda bails out ailing former Footballer
- Salah sets Liverpool record
- Women’s World Cup draw pits England against Scotland
- I’m in National team to build my profile, not for money—- Aigbogun
- NSF: Loveth Aboki gives Edo first medal in Power lifting
- Honest Security Guard Praised For Returning Lost Wallet Filled With Cash In Abuja
- Tinubu Showers Family Of Late 'Baba Sala' With Cash
- Serious Air Tragedy Averted As Plane Tyres Refuse To Eject In PH Airport While Landing
- Electoral Act: National Assembly Plans To Override Buhari
- Reactions Trailing Freezing Of Peter Obi’s Accounts
- APC Headquarters In Dilemma Over Amosun, Okorocha
- Forget The Past, Vote Buhari, Sanwo-Olu – Ambode
- Obasanjo: I Won't Campaign For Buhari, Atiku; Open Your Eyes & Vote For Better Economy
- Military Buys New Helicopter Gunships To Figh Boko Haram
- Tanker Loses Control, Rams Into 3 Vehicles On Lagos-Ibadan... Leaves 2 Dead
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Obasanjo abandons Atiku; says he has no candidate
- Buhari approves appointment 9 new permanent secretaries
- Seriously? 13.5m Nigerians Voted Without PVC In 2015 - 75% In States Won By Buhari
- Father Mbaka Publicly Apologizes To Peter Obi
- 700 voters card retrieved from foreigners
- NBA president has case to answer in alleged N1.1 bn corruption
- Ehibam schools rugby tournament kicks off in Benin City