The jail term is for his alleged role in an international conspiracy which defrauded the UK public services, including Lincolnshire’s mental health NHS trust, of over £13m.
Wagbatsoma, 47, and his co-conspirators reportedly rang up hospitals, councils, schools and housing associations, posing as a legitimate building firm which was owed money by the organisations.
According to LincolnshireLive, they then claimed their bank details had changed and instructed the organisations to put the money into a different account.
The money was then moved around several accounts in a bid to make it untraceable.
Wagbatsoma personally benefited up to the tune of £480,000 from the scam.
Lincolnshire police’s four-year investigation into the fraud ring, called Operation Tarlac, began in 2011 after Lincolnshire Partnership NHS Trust was cheated out of £1.28m.
Wagbatsoma, said to be on trial in Nigeria at the time of his arrest, was tried at Leicester crown court and he was convicted of conspiracy to launder money.
A judge described the scam as a “sophisticated and widespread fraud in its conception and execution.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- FRSC worries about Kaduna-Abuja roads
- 2019: Obasanjo insists he wants Buhari out
- South Africa, Cameroon not downcast
- Only A Fool Will Be Neutral When Nigeria Suffer Incompetence & Nepotism – Obasanjo
- Court May Compel Buhari To Investigate Ganduje's Dollar Bribe
- Electoral Amendment: Majority leader backs Buhari
- Northern Leaders Withdraw Support for Buhari over Revelation by his wife, Aisha?
- Police Beat Up Popular Actor Gideon Okeke In Lagos (Photos)
- Man Disgraced As He Was Caught Trying To Steal Ladies' Pant For Money Ritual in Delta
- FG states resolve on INEC’s security
- Super Falcons to know World Cup foes
- Beach Soccer AFCON: Supersand Eagles tackle Senegal
- Father Mbaka ‘Escapes’ Assassination
- Atiku As 2019 Consensus Candidate: PDP Moves To Get Other Parties' Support
- David De Gea is ranked best goalkeeper
- 19th NSF games schedule for Saturday as 23 events go down today
- Team Anambra should stay together to win —-Tony Oli
- NAPF President, Babaginda bails out ailing former Footballer
- Salah sets Liverpool record
- Women’s World Cup draw pits England against Scotland
- I’m in National team to build my profile, not for money—- Aigbogun
- NSF: Loveth Aboki gives Edo first medal in Power lifting
- Honest Security Guard Praised For Returning Lost Wallet Filled With Cash In Abuja
- Tinubu Showers Family Of Late 'Baba Sala' With Cash
- Serious Air Tragedy Averted As Plane Tyres Refuse To Eject In PH Airport While Landing
- Electoral Act: National Assembly Plans To Override Buhari
- Reactions Trailing Freezing Of Peter Obi’s Accounts
- APC Headquarters In Dilemma Over Amosun, Okorocha
- Forget The Past, Vote Buhari, Sanwo-Olu – Ambode
- Obasanjo: I Won't Campaign For Buhari, Atiku; Open Your Eyes & Vote For Better Economy
- Military Buys New Helicopter Gunships To Figh Boko Haram
- Tanker Loses Control, Rams Into 3 Vehicles On Lagos-Ibadan... Leaves 2 Dead
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Obasanjo abandons Atiku; says he has no candidate
- Buhari approves appointment 9 new permanent secretaries
- Seriously? 13.5m Nigerians Voted Without PVC In 2015 - 75% In States Won By Buhari
- Father Mbaka Publicly Apologizes To Peter Obi
- 700 voters card retrieved from foreigners
- NBA president has case to answer in alleged N1.1 bn corruption
- Ehibam schools rugby tournament kicks off in Benin City