Zimbabwe’s new president, Emmerson Mnangagwa, has narrated his journey through landmine areas when he fled the country following his sacking by Robert Mugabe in 2017.
The state-run Zimbabwe Herald reported on Saturday that Mnangagwa recounted previously unknown details of his “great escape” from Zimbabwe, during an official visit to Angola.
Mnangagwa, 75, fled to Mozambique after he was sacked as vice president by Mugabe, leaving the country within four hours of his ouster, fearful of a threat to his life.
“I didn’t think it was pleasurable to wait to be eliminated. I left within four hours of being fired for the Mozambican border”.
He said that he walked for long hours and claimed there were attempts at the border to shoot him, but the attack was foiled by his son.
“He (one of his twin sons) is an officer and was able to grab the weapon and I was not shot,” Mnangagwa said.
The report said once in Mozambique, he flew from Beira to South Africa.
Mnangagwa also spoke of the attempt to poison him at an event of the ruling ZANU-PF party in 2017 and said he was airlifted to South Africa for treatment.
He had accused then first lady, Grace Mugabe of having given him poisoned ice cream at a party.
“I am happy that last week, I was declared poison free. It is now undetectable,’’ he was quoted as saying.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- APC is funding Ekiti election with Abacha loots – PDP declares
- Ekiti July 14: Jonathan uses own experience to warn Buhari against using federal might
- Police parade soldier, 14 others for armed robbery
- Oil prices slump as OPEC, Russia consider output boost
- Musa Asabe: Why Family told CAN to stay away from funeral arrangement
- What you must do to keep kids with asthma out of hospital
- UCL Final: 5 signs showing Liverpool to win
- Klopp plan to distort Madrid’s plan
- UCF Final: You won’t believe Man United Legends prayer
- Woman attacks chief magistrate inside court
- Messi makes UCL team despite his absence in the final
- Ronaldo or Salah: You won’t believe Ramos’ choice
- Jubilations as Edo PDP chieftains return home from detention
- Kwara sports commissioner gives players hope
- Simba delegation storms Nigeria with 28 players
- AIPS President arrives PH to witness foundation-laying of Rivers Football Academy
- Edo FA Aiteo Cup climaxes Saturday
- Judicial Council official testifies against dollar-rich judge
- Shehu Sani, Others Set To Dump APC
- Buhari Should Mind The Way He Use Power, I Was There Before – Jonathan
- Actress Omoge Campus & I Were Separated For 7 Years Before She Died, Not Divorced – Husband
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Things To Do Before Selling Your Phone
- Soldier Appreciates God For His Life After Serving 4 Years Fighting Boko Haram
- My Wife Never Asked What I Had To Offer Before She Said 'Yes' - Comic Actor Saka
- REVEALED: Senators, Reps Bribed With N17bn To Pass Budget — Okonjo-Iweala
- Cholera outbreak: Yobe records 223 cases at Mubi Hospital
- Fidelity Bank eyes tier 1 status, unveils 4-year strategic plan
- Aviation sector has improved under Buhari – Unions
- MTN introduces 17-digit recharge PIN
- Best Mediterranean Diet For Weight Loss & Heart Health
- UBA lifts restriction on cash withdrawals abroad, Naira cards
- Grandmother ‘sentenced to death’ for drug trafficking
- Investors shun Banks over rising NPLs
- NSE index dips as bear continues to weigh on stocks
- Naira loses steam, remains stagnant at parallel market
- NBC compounds Okorocha’s woes, shuts down Reach FM
- Obaseki stalls bail condition for PDP leader – Nehikhare
- Ambode receives Leadership Award
- I don’t want this player against Liverpool, Ronaldo tells Zidane