Zimbabwe’s new president, Emmerson Mnangagwa, has narrated his journey through landmine areas when he fled the country following his sacking by Robert Mugabe in 2017.
The state-run Zimbabwe Herald reported on Saturday that Mnangagwa recounted previously unknown details of his “great escape” from Zimbabwe, during an official visit to Angola.
Mnangagwa, 75, fled to Mozambique after he was sacked as vice president by Mugabe, leaving the country within four hours of his ouster, fearful of a threat to his life.
“I didn’t think it was pleasurable to wait to be eliminated. I left within four hours of being fired for the Mozambican border”.
He said that he walked for long hours and claimed there were attempts at the border to shoot him, but the attack was foiled by his son.
“He (one of his twin sons) is an officer and was able to grab the weapon and I was not shot,” Mnangagwa said.
The report said once in Mozambique, he flew from Beira to South Africa.
Mnangagwa also spoke of the attempt to poison him at an event of the ruling ZANU-PF party in 2017 and said he was airlifted to South Africa for treatment.
He had accused then first lady, Grace Mugabe of having given him poisoned ice cream at a party.
“I am happy that last week, I was declared poison free. It is now undetectable,’’ he was quoted as saying.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- How Barcelona honors Ousmane Dembele, deal partners
- APC lists 10 sins of Saraki
- Saraki Reacts To Tinubu's Allegations
- Senators tell APC to end search for scapegoats Saraki
- Rising disquiets over Ajimonbi’s demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s Radio House
- Saraki exposes Buhari-Tinubu succession pact for 2023
- UNILAG to launch centres of excellence to boost research
- We will send APC packing from Lagos – ADP
- NECO results: Students performed better in 2018, says Registrar
- Ayefele lied, Ajimobi not responsible for demolition – OYSG
- ITF organises campaigns on management of modern libraries
- Real Madrid on a move to steal a Barcelona player
- ATM dominates Banking transactions in Q2 2018
- APC Says Saraki Will Rather Rule In Hell Than Serve In Paradise
- Meet The Newly Elected NBA President
- See Nigerian Female Welder Doing Her Job Professionally
- Tambuwal Replies Tinubu
- 65yrs Old Woman Graduates (Masters) From Covenant University
- See Baby Girl With Brain Tumour Who Miraculously Recovered After Pope Francis Kissed Her
- After 5 zeroes taken off, a roll of tissue paper sells for 2.6 million bolivars in Venezuela
- Female IPOB Members Faint In Court, Rushed To Hospital (Pics)
- Demolition of Ayefele’s Fresh FM: SERAP chides Gov Ajimobi of executive rascality
- Here's The Housegirl Who Killed Her Madam In Edo
- Senator Adeleke's Certificate Saga: Matters Arising
- Security Man Steals N2m From School Account
- Nigeria Yet To Recover From Economic Recession – NBS Boss
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NUJ Reacts To Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele's Radio House
- PDP Writes Saraki To Declare Akpabio's Seat Vacant
- Saraki, Tambuwal Are Scared Of President Buhari - Tinubu
- Outrage Over Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio Station
- Presidency Replies Saraki
- Why Jonathan Was A Better President Than Buhari - Dino Melaye
- Lagos To Shut Down Third Mainland Bridge This Week (Details)
- Giwa didn’t win any election— Jones-Ere
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd manager says Man City ‘cannot buy class’
- Lionel Messi’s brother sentenced for possessing illegal firearm.
- D’Tigress bury hatchet; focus on World Cup preparation
- Lawmaker calls for NASS budget probe under Saraki
- Doctor convicted of sexual assault of patient gets probation