– The AU has demanded a retraction and apology from US President Donald Trump, following his vulgar remarks about Africans
– The Union expressed dismay and outrage over the remarks, and noted that there was a huge misunderstanding about Africa and its people
– Mirroring the AU’s anger, the UN also branded as racist, the reported remark branding Haiti, El Salvador and unspecified African nations as ‘shithole countries’
African Union ambassadors to the United Nations (UN) have demanded an apology from U.S. President Donald Trump for his ‘racist remark’ on the people of Africa, NAN reports.
NAIJ.com gathers that the group of over 50 nations in a statement said: “The AU expressed its disappointment and outrage over the unfortunate comment made by Mr Donald Trump, President of the United States of America.
“The remarks dishonour the celebrated American creed and respect for diversity and human dignity.
“While expressing our shock, dismay and outrage, the African Union truly believes that there is a huge misunderstanding of the African continent and its people by the current administration.
“There is a serious need for dialogue between the U.S. administration and the African countries. The African Union, through its member States, values the strategic partnership with the U.S.
“This relationship should be from the point of equality and mutual respect based on accepted international principles of respect for basic human dignity of all.”
The Mission demanded a retraction of the statement and an apology from the U.S. leader.
It stated: “The AU mission condemns the statement in the strongest terms and demands a retraction of the comment as well as an apology to not only the Africans but to all people of African descent across the globe.”
The U.S. president reportedly made the comment during a meeting with congressional leaders in the Oval Office on Thursday, January 11.
“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump allegedly said, after being presented with a proposal to restore protections for immigrants from the countries in question.
The UN has also branded as racist, the reported remark branding Haiti, El Salvador and unspecified African nations as ‘shithole countries’.
“If confirmed these are shocking and shameful comments from the President of the United States. There is no other word you can use but ‘racist’.
“You cannot dismiss entire countries and continents as ‘shitholes’, whose entire populations who are not white, are therefore not welcome,” said Rupert Coleville, spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that the Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation Americas (NIDOA) expressed outrage at what it called ‘the vulgar, insensitive and racist language’ about Africans and other immigrants allegedly made by President Donald Trump, NAN reports.
The group, in a statement by Mr Obed Monago, Chairman, NIDO Americas Board of Trustees and Mrs Patience Key, Chairman, NIDO USA Board of Directors, strongly condemned the statement allegedly made by the U.S. president.
How would you feel if Donald Trump bombed Boko Haram like Syria – on NAIJ.com TV:
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Man Collapses In Lagos After Losing His Cash Due To Bank's Alleged 'Negligence' (Photo)
- Saraki Reacts To Viral Audio On Helping Buhari In 2015 With His Money
- Delta big boy 'Solo Pounds' nabbed for Yahoo, Armed Robbery in Ghana (Photos)
- Buhari: I've asked EFCC to account for every money recovered
- See How Woman Overpowered Thief Trying To Rob Her
- "My Wife's Money Demands Turned Me To Criminal" - Suspect Arrested In Lagos
- Popular Millionaire "Kills" Single Mother During S*x
- Buhari appoints fresh blood in CBN
- Buhari appoints new heads agencies, parastatals
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ladies Stop Turning Us Down, We Earn More Than Many Men Wearing Suit - Keke Driver
- Suspected Lagos Yahoo-Boy Arraigned, Remanded In Prison
- CAN meets Buhari, says APC turning hiding place for corrupt politicians
- Dollar Bribe: Oshiomhole Cries Out Over Moves To Nail Him
- How S*x Outside Marriage Is Exposing People To Demons
- Buhari Reacts: Igbo leaders’ endorsement of Atiku can't stand
- Beware Of Six Factors That Ruin Marriages
- Buhari, Oshiomhole Meet In Aso Rock Over 2019
- Workers Running Out of Patience Over New Minimum Wage
- Shehu Sani Slams Governors Who Say They Can't Pay N30k
- My Vision For Better Nigeria Achievable - Buhari
- Married Female Banker Steals Customer’s N8Million In Abuja
- Why Atiku will not stay beyond 4 years as President- Aide
- Court orders Trump to restore press pass of CNN reporter
- Total National Division 1 dunks off November 27
- Volleyball: Nimrod attends FIVB Congress in Mexico
- FIFA approves Stephen Okechukwu Keshi Stadium, Asaba for Uganda friendly
- Rohr: Injuries, suspensions mean opportunities for others
- Revealed! See how much Nigeria’s political officers earn
- Onyekuru sued by baby mama over child support payment
- Super Eagles/Uganda friendly :Ikpeba,Yobo, others storm Asaba
- APC leadership style, an enduring legacy – Kasunmu
- I have only 75k in my account- Efe BBNaija admits
- NGO raises funds for cancer patients
- AfDB President speaks on Buhari’s hardline on Africa Free Trade agreement
- Dollar appreciates as Brexit deal suffers setback
- FG to set up special Banks for petty traders
- Buhari extends Seplat’s OMLs to 2038
- Buhari makes new appointments
- Don't Die Till Our Strike Is Over - Mortuary Staff Tells Ghanains