– The AU has demanded a retraction and apology from US President Donald Trump, following his vulgar remarks about Africans
– The Union expressed dismay and outrage over the remarks, and noted that there was a huge misunderstanding about Africa and its people
– Mirroring the AU’s anger, the UN also branded as racist, the reported remark branding Haiti, El Salvador and unspecified African nations as ‘shithole countries’
African Union ambassadors to the United Nations (UN) have demanded an apology from U.S. President Donald Trump for his ‘racist remark’ on the people of Africa, NAN reports.
NAIJ.com gathers that the group of over 50 nations in a statement said: “The AU expressed its disappointment and outrage over the unfortunate comment made by Mr Donald Trump, President of the United States of America.
“The remarks dishonour the celebrated American creed and respect for diversity and human dignity.
“While expressing our shock, dismay and outrage, the African Union truly believes that there is a huge misunderstanding of the African continent and its people by the current administration.
“There is a serious need for dialogue between the U.S. administration and the African countries. The African Union, through its member States, values the strategic partnership with the U.S.
“This relationship should be from the point of equality and mutual respect based on accepted international principles of respect for basic human dignity of all.”
The Mission demanded a retraction of the statement and an apology from the U.S. leader.
It stated: “The AU mission condemns the statement in the strongest terms and demands a retraction of the comment as well as an apology to not only the Africans but to all people of African descent across the globe.”
The U.S. president reportedly made the comment during a meeting with congressional leaders in the Oval Office on Thursday, January 11.
“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump allegedly said, after being presented with a proposal to restore protections for immigrants from the countries in question.
The UN has also branded as racist, the reported remark branding Haiti, El Salvador and unspecified African nations as ‘shithole countries’.
“If confirmed these are shocking and shameful comments from the President of the United States. There is no other word you can use but ‘racist’.
“You cannot dismiss entire countries and continents as ‘shitholes’, whose entire populations who are not white, are therefore not welcome,” said Rupert Coleville, spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that the Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation Americas (NIDOA) expressed outrage at what it called ‘the vulgar, insensitive and racist language’ about Africans and other immigrants allegedly made by President Donald Trump, NAN reports.
The group, in a statement by Mr Obed Monago, Chairman, NIDO Americas Board of Trustees and Mrs Patience Key, Chairman, NIDO USA Board of Directors, strongly condemned the statement allegedly made by the U.S. president.
How would you feel if Donald Trump bombed Boko Haram like Syria – on NAIJ.com TV:
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nobody wants Nigeria suspended —Giwa
- Who is Victor Moses? — Segun Odegbami
- Ndidi signs a new six-year contract with Leicester City
- Barca director hints they haven’t given up on Pogba
- Atiku, Ben Bruce react to demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio House
- Acadeny for Stars expelled, fined
- How NFF escaped FIFA ban
- Army investigates female soldier for brutalizing niece
- After a year in coma, footballer wakes up
- Microsoft uncovers more hacking attempts
- Another senator docked for N245m fraud
- Ayefele’s Building Demolition: Both Sides State Their Case
- Man Stabs His 2 Younger Brothers To Death Over Their Father's Property In Delta
- Two Women Nabbed For Buying Day-old Twins For N1.8m
- Woman Gets Married For The First Time At 60 (Photo)
- SHOCKING: CBN Officer Who Belonged To "Secret Society" Dies Mysteriously In Abuja
- Thrilling Things To Do This Holiday
- Gunmen Kill Popular Catholic Priest In Abuja
- You Didn't Build A Single Company In 8 Year, I've Built 9 In 3 Years - Udom replies Akpabio
- Strange Chemical Emission Fills The Air In Anambra Community, 7 Reportedly Dead
- Tinubu Not Happy with Buhari Govt., Supporting Him for His 2023 Ambition - Saraki
- Woman Arrested In Lagos For Pouring Hot Water On Maid
- Yahoo Boy Who Hit His Mum's Head In Desperation To Use Her For Money Ritual
- 5 Brilliant Nigerian Students Shine At World Robotics Competition
- NBS Denies Reports That Nigeria's Economy Is Still In Recession
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How Barcelona honors Ousmane Dembele, deal partners
- APC lists 10 sins of Saraki
- Saraki Reacts To Tinubu's Allegations
- Senators tell APC to end search for scapegoats Saraki
- Rising disquiets over Ajimonbi’s demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s Radio House
- Saraki exposes Buhari-Tinubu succession pact for 2023
- UNILAG to launch centres of excellence to boost research
- We will send APC packing from Lagos – ADP
- NECO results: Students performed better in 2018, says Registrar
- Ayefele lied, Ajimobi not responsible for demolition – OYSG
- ITF organises campaigns on management of modern libraries
- Real Madrid on a move to steal a Barcelona player
- ATM dominates Banking transactions in Q2 2018
- APC Says Saraki Will Rather Rule In Hell Than Serve In Paradise