– The AU has demanded a retraction and apology from US President Donald Trump, following his vulgar remarks about Africans
– The Union expressed dismay and outrage over the remarks, and noted that there was a huge misunderstanding about Africa and its people
– Mirroring the AU’s anger, the UN also branded as racist, the reported remark branding Haiti, El Salvador and unspecified African nations as ‘shithole countries’
African Union ambassadors to the United Nations (UN) have demanded an apology from U.S. President Donald Trump for his ‘racist remark’ on the people of Africa, NAN reports.
NAIJ.com gathers that the group of over 50 nations in a statement said: “The AU expressed its disappointment and outrage over the unfortunate comment made by Mr Donald Trump, President of the United States of America.
“The remarks dishonour the celebrated American creed and respect for diversity and human dignity.
“While expressing our shock, dismay and outrage, the African Union truly believes that there is a huge misunderstanding of the African continent and its people by the current administration.
“There is a serious need for dialogue between the U.S. administration and the African countries. The African Union, through its member States, values the strategic partnership with the U.S.
“This relationship should be from the point of equality and mutual respect based on accepted international principles of respect for basic human dignity of all.”
The Mission demanded a retraction of the statement and an apology from the U.S. leader.
It stated: “The AU mission condemns the statement in the strongest terms and demands a retraction of the comment as well as an apology to not only the Africans but to all people of African descent across the globe.”
The U.S. president reportedly made the comment during a meeting with congressional leaders in the Oval Office on Thursday, January 11.
“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump allegedly said, after being presented with a proposal to restore protections for immigrants from the countries in question.
The UN has also branded as racist, the reported remark branding Haiti, El Salvador and unspecified African nations as ‘shithole countries’.
“If confirmed these are shocking and shameful comments from the President of the United States. There is no other word you can use but ‘racist’.
“You cannot dismiss entire countries and continents as ‘shitholes’, whose entire populations who are not white, are therefore not welcome,” said Rupert Coleville, spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that the Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation Americas (NIDOA) expressed outrage at what it called ‘the vulgar, insensitive and racist language’ about Africans and other immigrants allegedly made by President Donald Trump, NAN reports.
The group, in a statement by Mr Obed Monago, Chairman, NIDO Americas Board of Trustees and Mrs Patience Key, Chairman, NIDO USA Board of Directors, strongly condemned the statement allegedly made by the U.S. president.
How would you feel if Donald Trump bombed Boko Haram like Syria – on NAIJ.com TV:
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- I wasn’t an absentee student at UNILAG – Odunlade Adekola
- Coalition, NewPDP insist PDP must change name to join alliance
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Oyegun, House Speaker Shun APC Congress In Edo State
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants