Hide quoted text
Trump ha d reportedly questioned why the US would want to have immigrants from Haiti and African nations, referring to some as “shithole countries”.
But the group of over 50 nations in a statement said: “the AU expressed its disappointment and outrage over the unfortunate comment made by Mr Donald Trump, President of the United States of America.
“The remarks dishonour the celebrated American creed and respect for diversity and human dignity.
“While expressing our shock, dismay and outrage, the African Union truly believes that there is a huge misunderstanding of the African continent and its people by the current administration.
“There is a serious need for dialogue between the U.S. administration and the African countries. The African Union, through its member States, values the strategic partnership with the U.S.
“This relationship should be from the point of equality and mutual respect based on accepted international principles of respect for basic human dignity of all,” the mission said in a statement on Friday.
The Mission demanded a retraction of the statement and an apology from the U.S. leader.
“The AU mission condemns the statement in the strongest terms and demands a retraction of the comment as well as an apology to not only the Africans but to all people of African descent across the globe.”
The UN has also branded as racist, the reported remark branding Haiti, El Salvador and unspecified African nations as “shithole countries”.
“If confirmed these are shocking and shameful comments from the President of the United States. There is no other word you can use but ‘racist’.
“You cannot dismiss entire countries and continents as ‘shitholes’, whose entire populations who are not white, are therefore not welcome,” said Rupert Coleville, spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Gov Ganduje Bribe Video: EFCC Asked To Take Action
- Update On 24hours Curfew In Kaduna
- Friend Defrauds Man of N7m, Threatens To Kill Him & His Wife
- Minimum Wage: NLC, Organised Labour To Call Fresh Strike
- Popular King's Son Graduates As Overall Best At NDA (Pics)
- 19yrs Old Girl Buys 2 Cars For Her Parents (Photos)
- Oshiomhole In Trouble? Angry APC Governors Heading To Abuja To Sack Him
- Tania Omotayo Weds Co-Restaurant Owner in Lagos (Photos)
- Amaechi Spotted Praying Seriously At Redeemed Church
- Nigerian Man, Okoloko Sworn In As Judge In US (Photos)
- How APC, Presidency Dribble Shehu Sani - Senator Ben Bruce
- Woman Leading Kidnap & Robbery Gang Finally Arrested
- Atiku Agrees To Give Office Of SGF To Yorubas
- Angry DPO Brutalises Innocent Man For Causing His Transfer
- Fayose In Lagos, Ready For His Court Trial Today
- I Won't Come Back To Face Trial In Court, says Nnamdi Kanu
- Senior Female Police Officer Kidnapped In Broad Daylight?
- Aisha Buhari Stops Oshiomhole From Entering Their House?
- How God Saved A Yong Lady From Ritualists
- Peter Obi Visits Ohaneze Ndigbo President (Photos)
- Update On Pastor Whose Corpse Was Found With Friend and A Married Woman
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ooni's New Wife Called Herself A "Queen" Over A Year Ago
- What gas flaring costs Nigeria annually- Expert
- Atiku courts Southwest with SGF slot
- How Atiku betrayed Ekweremadu, others
- Labour to embark on another nationwide strike
- Photos Of Fayose At The Airport
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Powerful Forces Want Me Out Of APC
- "Only Buhari Can Fire Me" - Suspended NHIS Boss Insists
- Man Finds Out His Wife Got Pregnant For 4 Men; DNA Shows He's Not The Father Of Their 4 Kids
- Yahoo Boy Kills Policeman While Trying To Evade Arrest In Delta
- Ex-Chief Justice of Nigeria Idris Kutigi Dies In London Hospital
- I Will Still Contest In 2019 - Senator Shehu Sani
- Fayose Leaves EFCC Office As He Flies To Lagos
- Nigerian Man Weds Beautiful Oyinbo Woman In Style (Photos)
- Buhari Reacts To Killing Of 55 People In Kaduna Violence
- PHOTOS: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To First Child At 67
- Ambode In Trouble? Plot To Impeach Him Hots Up
- Questions Reuters, Aljazeera, the Economist, AP, others ask Lai about Atiku, PDP