Hide quoted text
Trump ha d reportedly questioned why the US would want to have immigrants from Haiti and African nations, referring to some as “shithole countries”.
But the group of over 50 nations in a statement said: “the AU expressed its disappointment and outrage over the unfortunate comment made by Mr Donald Trump, President of the United States of America.
“The remarks dishonour the celebrated American creed and respect for diversity and human dignity.
“While expressing our shock, dismay and outrage, the African Union truly believes that there is a huge misunderstanding of the African continent and its people by the current administration.
“There is a serious need for dialogue between the U.S. administration and the African countries. The African Union, through its member States, values the strategic partnership with the U.S.
“This relationship should be from the point of equality and mutual respect based on accepted international principles of respect for basic human dignity of all,” the mission said in a statement on Friday.
The Mission demanded a retraction of the statement and an apology from the U.S. leader.
“The AU mission condemns the statement in the strongest terms and demands a retraction of the comment as well as an apology to not only the Africans but to all people of African descent across the globe.”
The UN has also branded as racist, the reported remark branding Haiti, El Salvador and unspecified African nations as “shithole countries”.
“If confirmed these are shocking and shameful comments from the President of the United States. There is no other word you can use but ‘racist’.
“You cannot dismiss entire countries and continents as ‘shitholes’, whose entire populations who are not white, are therefore not welcome,” said Rupert Coleville, spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 4 University Students Die After Fatal Accident Inside The Campus
- Arewa Youths Back Saraki, Caution Oshiomhole On Utterances
- 2019: Photos From Dankwambo's Visit To Obasanjo
- Quitting Super Eagles: Uncovering why Victor Moses takes a bow, premature departure
- Breaking: Victor Moses retires
- Kante: ‘World Cup achievements, beyond my dreams’
- Saraki considers running against Buhari in 2019
- Arthur, the new Barcelona’s Xavi Hernandez
- Ramos mocks Jurgen Klopp’s record in cup finals
- Eden Hazard verus Mesut Ozil ahead of EPL clash
- Guendouzi: Arsenal can win EPL title
- Give us courts to develop beach soccer— Nimrod begs el-Rufai
- Osinbajo to meet NFF President over crisis
- 018 NYG: Team Oyo picks 4 slots at S/west zonal eliminations
- INEC Chairman Presents 2019 INEC Budget To Senate (Photos)
- Landlord Who Led Armed Robbers To Rob Neighbour Arrested
- INEC to feed police with N6bn in 2019 polls
- Experts worry over rising cyber security poverty line in Nigeria
- Driver crushes LASTMA officer
- GTBank to increase loan book by 10%
- Zinedine Zidane is replacing one of the Manchester Clubs
- Student Who Scored 364 In JAMB Receives N5m Cash (Photo)
- Presidency Speaks On Buhari Extending 10-day London Vacation
- SARS Caught "Extorting Passengers" Despite Osinbajo's Order
- Female Corper Knocked Down By Reckless Driver In Lagos
- Story Of Abuja Wild Forest Where "All Kinds Of Things" Happen
- Oil prices down by 13% over growing US crude inventories
- MTN secures N200bn loan from Diamond bank, 11 others
- Pastor's Wife Attacked For Brutalizing Her Little Maid (Maid)
- Kemi Adeosun's Certificate: SERAP Drags NYSC Boss To Court
- Fraudster Impersonating Nollywood Actor To Defraud People Arrested In Lagos
- 2019: Tinubu tackles Obasanjo
- Police lost 15 operatives to Bandits in two months; families demand compensation
- Investors panic as prices of Bitcoin, others plummet
- Nigeria’s inflation drops again in July
- Update On How 35 Died As Bridge Collapsed In Italy (Photos)
- Buhari To Take Action On New DSS Boss and Daura
- Thief Arrested While Preparing Pepper Soup With Stolen Goat
- The Leadership In Nigeria Today Has Lost Focus - IBB
- 2019: I’m not desperate to be President – Atiku