While most gospel artistes frown on featuring secular artistes in their songs; for popular gospel artiste, Tomi Favour, it is not a problem. However, she attached a condition to that possibility.
She told Saturday Beats, “I can feature a secular artiste only if their message is proclaiming the word of God; if they are saved and they acknowledge Jesus Christ as their Lord. But if that is not the message, light and darkness have no business working together.
“Money is not the issue. The message is. And unless the secular artiste is ready to sing about Jesus, or hear me sing about Jesus in their song, light and darkness have no business working together. If it were simply an instrumental, then often many artists regardless of their personal moral values can work on music. No one is hearing them. It is just the instrument like in an orchestra for a movie soundtrack.”
She told Saturday Beats that even though gospel music was not fetching her money, she was not fazed.
The US-based singer said, “I can’t speak for someone else or the entire gospel music industry. From my own experience, gospel music has not been lucrative. I spend money and work very hard to do what I do. I don’t really get paid but it doesn’t bother me too much because I don’t do it for the money.
“Of course, it would be nice if I become wealthy from doing what I love to do in the name of Jesus. But so far, I invest more in myself. I give away my talents and gifts freely.
“There are days when I’m tempted to be discouraged or wonder why I am pushing myself or pressuring my finances to do music outside of my nursing career. But I know it is my calling. So, I proceed with thanksgiving. Even when churches invite me to minister, many don’t consider paying. It is a service and it is not seen as a job; even though, you work hard to be where you are. It has not been lucrative.
“But I’m doing something that pleases God. I continue despite the hardships. According to God’s plan, whatever will happen will happen. As long as God is pleased with me and I make heaven, I know He will reward me. And He occasionally sends miracles through people that love Him to be a blessing to my life. But that’s only once in a while.”
Speaking on her recently released album, the singer said that she was overwhelmed by the positive feedback she had been receiving so far.
She has so far released two albums.
The singer said, “The response to my first album was an unexpected blessing to me. I produced it myself and was nervous about the quality, thinking it might not be well received.
“But several lives have been blessed by it. I still get messages from people about certain songs, specifically ministering to them. The response to the second album has also been amazing as lives have also been blessed. It is encouraging to me because I get messages from people about a song, which is speaking to their minds; their situations and helping them worship God from time to time. The words make sense to them.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria Banks missing among Africa’s best
- Buhari bears fangs, finally replies Obasanjo
- CBN retains interest rate at 14%
- Metuh’s lawyer back to court after withdrawing as his counsel
- Police close in on remaining 2 gang leaders of Offa bank robbery after arresting two
- Nigerian cult group driving sex trafficking trade in Italy
- Focus on getting fundamentals right for the Future readiness of our children
- APC paralle Congresses: Bindow, Boss, Nyako, Babachir and matters arising in Adamawa
- How FG failed in its promise to unbundle NNPC
- Maritime industry present great opportunity for economic rebirth, says Dakuku Peterside
- Maintenance, repair, overhaul facilities will boost aviation industry – Minister
- MasterCard Foundation to empower 30m young Africans
- Tackling the Unemployment situation in Africa by boosting Future readiness
- Ensure peace, security in your communities – Ambode urges Traditional Rulers
- Smugglers make $500m smuggling people into US
- Lagos Police Command nab cybercrime kingpin
- Rising crude oil price fails to boost Nigeria’s economy
- Army, Police contain IPOB threat to Ohaneze’s summit on restructuring
- Herdsmen killings: Christian Network raises alarm of looming anarchy
- Police nab Offa robbery key suspects
- Presidential race 2019: Obasanjo takes anti-Buhari campaign to Afenifere Leader, Fasoranti
- Tinubu mandates new APC Executive in Lagos to promote unity
- Top Healthy Snacks For Kids
- Boko Haram still control parts of North East Nigeria
- Buhari to receive 2018 budget this week – Reps
- $15 million: Jonathan’s suit against EFCC stalled
- Coalition protests in Ilorin in support of IGP Idris
- Story Of Woman Who Was "Sacked" For Giving Birth To Triplets
- Medical Doctor turned Thief defrauds car dealer N28m, arrested by Police in Lagos
- Olisa Metuh Collapses In Court, Judge Reacts Angrily
- Woman Drugs, Kidnaps Friend After Luring Her To Hotel In Lagos
- Obasanjo visits Afenifere leaders: "We have to rescue Nigeria"
- You must marry corpse of our daughter – family tells boyfriend
- Explore Nigeria With These Top Four Tour Operators
- Buhari To Lead 1 Million Nigerians For Democracy Walk
- Dino Melaye: I Was Never Framed Up, Arraigned For Fighting GEJ
- Offa Robbery: Police Finally Nab Two Notorious Leaders
- Woman Rescued From Suspected Kidnappers, Ritualists In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Obasanjo identifies 4 ways to prevent insecurity