Senator Jonah Jang disagrees with Lalong on Cattle Colonies
Former Plateau governor Jonah Jang says his constituents are opposed to the creation of cattle colonies as proposed by his successor, Simon Lalong.
“My people are against cattle colonies; they have said that they would not relinquish their ancestral lands for the purpose of grazing reserves or colonies,” Jang said in a statement signed by his media consultant, Mr Clinton Garuba.
Lalong had told State House correspondents in Abuja on Thursday that he would introduce cattle colonies instead of enacting a law to ban open cattle grazing in Plateau.
The colonies, Lalong argued, would check the clashes between herdsmen and farmers as the cattle would be restricted to particular areas which would reduce the chances of straying into farmlands.
But Jang, who lamented the attacks on his people by gunmen suspected to be herdsmen over the years, said that victims of such attacks were “not ready to accept the confiscation of their land by government”.
“Cattle colonies are detrimental to the people and will not be accepted. The Plateau government is aware of this,” he declared.
According to him, Lalong was speaking for himself when he promised to establish the cattle colonies.
“As far as the people of my senatorial zone are concerned, Lalong spoke for himself and not for us.
“We have already suffered too much loss in the hands of attackers believed to be herdsmen; creating colonies for them will only worsen the situation,” he said.
He dismissed claims by the governor that people were already donating lands for the purpose of grazing and cattle colonies.
“If the Governor claims that people are already donating lands for the purpose of grazing reserves or
cattle colonies, let him name the donors.
“The Plateau people are peaceful and have always rejected any policy that could undermine that peace.
“My constituents’ position is clear – Lalong is on his own and alone in this path that he has chosen,” Jang said.
Jang, however, advised Lalong to apologise to Gov Samuel Ortom of Benue over a statement credited to him (Lalong) in which he claimed to have warned his Benue counterpart against the anti-open grazing law.
“That statement was particularly unfair to the people of Benue, coming at a time they were mourning scores killed in the Jan. 1 attacks on villages in Guma and Logo Governments.
“The statement suggests that the killings took place because of the law. This cannot be true because the killings have been on for years while the law only took effect on Nov. 1,” the statement said.
Jang urged the federal and state governments to organise a meeting of stakeholders to seek a lasting solution to the incessant herdsmen/farmers clashes, and stressed the need for policies that would be fair and acceptable to all concerned.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Why I missed presidential debate – Buhari
- Jimoh Ibrahim’s mother burnt to death
- Experts chart focus for cyber security in 2019
- CJN Onnoghen Faces Big Challenge As FG Expands Probe
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Retired Generals Conspiring Against Buhari
- Beautiful Pre-wedding Pics Of Nigerian Captain & Pretty Fiancée
- Senior Lawyers To Tackle FG Over Action On CJN Onnoghen
- Nigerian Lady Goes With Her Mother To Pack Husband's Property After Collapsed Marriage
- Faces Of Alleged Top Yahoo Boys Nabbed With Porsche & Other Expensive Rides
- Nigerian Man Dies In Accident, A Day To His Wife's Burial
- How Customs, Police Officers Released Truck Load of Codein After Receiving Bribe
- Atiku Get To Debate Venue, Didn't See Buhari, Then Walk Away... Challenges Mr President
- Billionaire Jimoh Ibrahim's Mother Burnt To Death In Candle Fire
- Lagos Businessman Said To Have Committed Suicide Over R*pe Saga Is In Coma?
- Buhari, APC Frustrated Over Atiku's Trip To US - Party
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out
- APC suspends Rochas Okorocha
- Arewa people are also Lagosians, deserve recognition – Balarabe
- Stakeholders rally support for Makinde,gives testimonies of quality representation
- NAPTIP goes after 20,0000 Nigerians girls trafficked to Mali
- Bank PHB: Atiku replies Buhari, APC
- 'Yahoo Boys' Busted... N300m Mansion, $49k Seized From Them
- Why Atiku Travelled To US - Peter Obi
- Woman Stabs Female Neighbour To Death In Lagos
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Young Soldiers On Their Way To Maiduguri To Fight Boko Haram
- Fayose Reacts To Atiku's Trip To America, Hits Buhari
- Family Of LASTMA Officer Who Was Murdered On Duty Get N10m Compensation
- Okorocha's Suspension By APC: Angry Reactions
- Buhari Govt Goes After Atiku, To Now Quiz Him For Corruption... Atiku calls it "Cock & Bull" Story
- Lagos Businessman Accused Of R*pe Cries Out, Commits Suicide
- CJN Onnoghen To Be Arrested? FG Asks Court To Sack Him
- Oshiomhole, El-Rufai Attack Atiku Over Trip To America
- Amaechi Replies Wike For Saying He Plotted CJN's Removal