The Federal Court of Appeal sitting in Kaduna on Friday nullified the election of the member, House of Representatives representing Mashi/Dutsi Federal Constituency of Katsina state, Hon. Mansir Aliyu Mashi of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The court which affirmed the judgement of the Election Petition Tribunal, which had earlier ruled on the matter, however ordered the third respondents in the appeal, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to conduct fresh elections in 15 polling units where the elections were either marred with irregularities or did not hold.
Election Petition Tribunal which sat in Katsina after the by-election had on 15th November, nullified the election of Hon. Mansir Aliyu Mashi on the ground that election was marred with irregularities, ranging from ballot box snatching, failure of election to hold in some polling units among others and ordered fresh election in those polling units.
Delivering the Appeal Court judgement on Friday, the Presiding Judge of Court of Appeal, Kaduna, Justice Umani Abba Aji, said the lower tribunal was right in its rulings, which nullified the election of the first appellant, Hon. Mansir Aliyu Mashi.
Justice Abba Aji in his judgment said, since, evidences and exhibits presented before the court have shown that the elections in the said polling were marred with irregularities and the number of registered voters from the affected polling units if they were not disenfranchised can change the outcome of the election, the right thing to do is to have a fresh election in the polling units.
Speaking shortly after the judgement, counsel to one of the respondents, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)’s candidate, Hon Nazif Bello Yusuf, Barrister Napoleon Idenala, said they were satisfied with the judgement.
He said the court has once again reaffirmed that impunity cannot be tolerated in the society.
Also reacting to the case, Chairman of the PDP in Katsina State, which is one of the respondents in the appeal, Alhaji Salisu Yusuf Majigiri, expressed satisfaction with the judgement said his party was prepared to mobilise its supporters and win the election.
He explained that all concerned authorities must wade in to ensure that the ruling part, APC does not violate the electoral laws like the previous election.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 4 University Students Die After Fatal Accident Inside The Campus
- Arewa Youths Back Saraki, Caution Oshiomhole On Utterances
- 2019: Photos From Dankwambo's Visit To Obasanjo
- Quitting Super Eagles: Uncovering why Victor Moses takes a bow, premature departure
- Breaking: Victor Moses retires
- Kante: ‘World Cup achievements, beyond my dreams’
- Saraki considers running against Buhari in 2019
- Arthur, the new Barcelona’s Xavi Hernandez
- Ramos mocks Jurgen Klopp’s record in cup finals
- Eden Hazard verus Mesut Ozil ahead of EPL clash
- Guendouzi: Arsenal can win EPL title
- Give us courts to develop beach soccer— Nimrod begs el-Rufai
- Osinbajo to meet NFF President over crisis
- 018 NYG: Team Oyo picks 4 slots at S/west zonal eliminations
- INEC Chairman Presents 2019 INEC Budget To Senate (Photos)
- Landlord Who Led Armed Robbers To Rob Neighbour Arrested
- INEC to feed police with N6bn in 2019 polls
- Experts worry over rising cyber security poverty line in Nigeria
- Driver crushes LASTMA officer
- GTBank to increase loan book by 10%
- Zinedine Zidane is replacing one of the Manchester Clubs
- Student Who Scored 364 In JAMB Receives N5m Cash (Photo)
- Presidency Speaks On Buhari Extending 10-day London Vacation
- SARS Caught "Extorting Passengers" Despite Osinbajo's Order
- Female Corper Knocked Down By Reckless Driver In Lagos
- Story Of Abuja Wild Forest Where "All Kinds Of Things" Happen
- Oil prices down by 13% over growing US crude inventories
- MTN secures N200bn loan from Diamond bank, 11 others
- Pastor's Wife Attacked For Brutalizing Her Little Maid (Maid)
- Kemi Adeosun's Certificate: SERAP Drags NYSC Boss To Court
- Fraudster Impersonating Nollywood Actor To Defraud People Arrested In Lagos
- 2019: Tinubu tackles Obasanjo
- Police lost 15 operatives to Bandits in two months; families demand compensation
- Investors panic as prices of Bitcoin, others plummet
- Nigeria’s inflation drops again in July
- Update On How 35 Died As Bridge Collapsed In Italy (Photos)
- Buhari To Take Action On New DSS Boss and Daura
- Thief Arrested While Preparing Pepper Soup With Stolen Goat
- The Leadership In Nigeria Today Has Lost Focus - IBB
- 2019: I’m not desperate to be President – Atiku