‘We were armed with over 20 AK47 rifles for Omoku massacre’
One of the deputies of a militant and kidnap victim, Don Waney, who was killed alongside five others by security agencies on January 7, has been captured by the police in Abuja.
Desmond Okotubo, described by the police as a senior member of Waney’s gang, made startling revelations about his boss. He also explained how they prepared for the massacre in Omoku, Rivers State, in which the gang killed 22 residents returning from church.
Saturday PUNCH learnt that he was trailed to and captured in Mpape, Abuja, where he had fled to when he escaped the shoot-out between members of the gang and security agencies, which resulted in the death of his boss in Enugu State.
Okotubo was paraded before journalists in Abuja by theForce Public Relations Officer, Mr. Jimoh Moshood, on Thursday.
He said that following the Omoku massacre led by Waney, the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, set up a Special Police Joint Investigation Team, comprising the IGP-Intelligence Response Team, the Force Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Department, Force Department of Operations and the Rivers State Police Command to bring the perpetrators to Justice.
He said, “The IRT attached to the joint team engaged some of the suspects in their hideouts in Awara Forest boundary between Imo and Rivers states. The shoot-out lasted several hours, resulting in the death of six of the suspects, while the others escaped with bullet wounds.
“Working on intelligence, the IRT identified Okotubo and trailed him to Mpape in Abuja, where he was arrested after serious resistance on Tuesday.”
He was said to have rented a new apartment in the area.
The police said 32 year-old Okotubo, a native of Egbenma, in Ogba Egbema Ndoni Local Government Area of Rivers State, confessed to being one of the masterminds of the massacre.
He gave details of how they planned the operation in Awara Town, Imo State, before they carried out the act.
Even though he did not reveal the motive behind the killings, he said their leader (Waney) gathered them for a briefing on the night of January 31, 2017.
He said, “The mission was to attack and kill any resident of Omoku town in sight. There were 30 of us and out of that, more than 20 carried one AK47 rifle each, but I did not carry any gun. We crossed the river from Awara to Omoku Forest and proceeded to Omoku town. As soon as we got there, we opened fire on those celebrating the New Year on the streets.”
Moshood said investigation was being intensified to arrest other members of the gang who were still at large.
“The suspect will be arraigned as soon as the investigation on his part of the case is complete,” Moshood said.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- I wasn’t an absentee student at UNILAG – Odunlade Adekola
- Coalition, NewPDP insist PDP must change name to join alliance
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Oyegun, House Speaker Shun APC Congress In Edo State
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants