‘We were armed with over 20 AK47 rifles for Omoku massacre’
One of the deputies of a militant and kidnap victim, Don Waney, who was killed alongside five others by security agencies on January 7, has been captured by the police in Abuja.
Desmond Okotubo, described by the police as a senior member of Waney’s gang, made startling revelations about his boss. He also explained how they prepared for the massacre in Omoku, Rivers State, in which the gang killed 22 residents returning from church.
Saturday PUNCH learnt that he was trailed to and captured in Mpape, Abuja, where he had fled to when he escaped the shoot-out between members of the gang and security agencies, which resulted in the death of his boss in Enugu State.
Okotubo was paraded before journalists in Abuja by theForce Public Relations Officer, Mr. Jimoh Moshood, on Thursday.
He said that following the Omoku massacre led by Waney, the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, set up a Special Police Joint Investigation Team, comprising the IGP-Intelligence Response Team, the Force Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Department, Force Department of Operations and the Rivers State Police Command to bring the perpetrators to Justice.
He said, “The IRT attached to the joint team engaged some of the suspects in their hideouts in Awara Forest boundary between Imo and Rivers states. The shoot-out lasted several hours, resulting in the death of six of the suspects, while the others escaped with bullet wounds.
“Working on intelligence, the IRT identified Okotubo and trailed him to Mpape in Abuja, where he was arrested after serious resistance on Tuesday.”
He was said to have rented a new apartment in the area.
The police said 32 year-old Okotubo, a native of Egbenma, in Ogba Egbema Ndoni Local Government Area of Rivers State, confessed to being one of the masterminds of the massacre.
He gave details of how they planned the operation in Awara Town, Imo State, before they carried out the act.
Even though he did not reveal the motive behind the killings, he said their leader (Waney) gathered them for a briefing on the night of January 31, 2017.
He said, “The mission was to attack and kill any resident of Omoku town in sight. There were 30 of us and out of that, more than 20 carried one AK47 rifle each, but I did not carry any gun. We crossed the river from Awara to Omoku Forest and proceeded to Omoku town. As soon as we got there, we opened fire on those celebrating the New Year on the streets.”
Moshood said investigation was being intensified to arrest other members of the gang who were still at large.
“The suspect will be arraigned as soon as the investigation on his part of the case is complete,” Moshood said.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Gov Ganduje Bribe Video: EFCC Asked To Take Action
- Update On 24hours Curfew In Kaduna
- Friend Defrauds Man of N7m, Threatens To Kill Him & His Wife
- Minimum Wage: NLC, Organised Labour To Call Fresh Strike
- Popular King's Son Graduates As Overall Best At NDA (Pics)
- 19yrs Old Girl Buys 2 Cars For Her Parents (Photos)
- Oshiomhole In Trouble? Angry APC Governors Heading To Abuja To Sack Him
- Tania Omotayo Weds Co-Restaurant Owner in Lagos (Photos)
- Amaechi Spotted Praying Seriously At Redeemed Church
- Nigerian Man, Okoloko Sworn In As Judge In US (Photos)
- How APC, Presidency Dribble Shehu Sani - Senator Ben Bruce
- Woman Leading Kidnap & Robbery Gang Finally Arrested
- Atiku Agrees To Give Office Of SGF To Yorubas
- Angry DPO Brutalises Innocent Man For Causing His Transfer
- Fayose In Lagos, Ready For His Court Trial Today
- I Won't Come Back To Face Trial In Court, says Nnamdi Kanu
- Senior Female Police Officer Kidnapped In Broad Daylight?
- Aisha Buhari Stops Oshiomhole From Entering Their House?
- How God Saved A Yong Lady From Ritualists
- Peter Obi Visits Ohaneze Ndigbo President (Photos)
- Update On Pastor Whose Corpse Was Found With Friend and A Married Woman
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ooni's New Wife Called Herself A "Queen" Over A Year Ago
- What gas flaring costs Nigeria annually- Expert
- Atiku courts Southwest with SGF slot
- How Atiku betrayed Ekweremadu, others
- Labour to embark on another nationwide strike
- Photos Of Fayose At The Airport
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Powerful Forces Want Me Out Of APC
- "Only Buhari Can Fire Me" - Suspended NHIS Boss Insists
- Man Finds Out His Wife Got Pregnant For 4 Men; DNA Shows He's Not The Father Of Their 4 Kids
- Yahoo Boy Kills Policeman While Trying To Evade Arrest In Delta
- Ex-Chief Justice of Nigeria Idris Kutigi Dies In London Hospital
- I Will Still Contest In 2019 - Senator Shehu Sani
- Fayose Leaves EFCC Office As He Flies To Lagos
- Nigerian Man Weds Beautiful Oyinbo Woman In Style (Photos)
- Buhari Reacts To Killing Of 55 People In Kaduna Violence
- PHOTOS: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To First Child At 67
- Ambode In Trouble? Plot To Impeach Him Hots Up
- Questions Reuters, Aljazeera, the Economist, AP, others ask Lai about Atiku, PDP