Success Nwogu, Ilorin
A suspected thief, Yunus Suleiman, was knocked down by a motorist as he fled on the Murtala Mohammed Road, Ilorin, Kwara State on Tuesday.
He shocked eyewitnesses when he was apprehended and confessed to have stolen the motorcycle at Challenge area of Ilorin. He added that he wanted to sell it off and use the proceeds to fund his wedding.
But, as he was knocked down on the overhead bridge along Murtala Mohammed Road, one of his legs was broken.
The Kwara State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ajayi Okasanmi, said the suspect hailed from Kishi in Kaiama local government area of the state.
Suleiman barely escaped being lynched by a mob attracted by the cry of the owner of the motorcycle, who had been pursuing him.
He was caught as he lay in a pool of blood.
Some of the spectators suggested that he should be lynched while some others said he should be handed over to the police. The crowd watched him as he writhed in pain.
The suspect expressed regret for his action and said he was under pressure to find money to finance his wedding coming up in a few days’ time.
“If I had known that I would be passing through this problem, I would not have stolen this motorcycle. I was only looking for money to fund my wedding, which comes up in few days’ time. Please spare my life. Do not burn me. I regret my action,” he said.
Okasanmi told our correspondent that Suleiman was later rescued by the police and taken to the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital for treatment.
“We have commenced investigation into the matter,”Okasanmi said.
Meanwhile, the Kwara State Public Relations Officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Mr. Henry Bilesanmi, said the corps had arrested seven petrol black marketeers.
He said two of the suspects were arrested on Tuesday while the rest were arrested during the Yuletide.
While warning people against careless use and display of petrol, he confirmed that a teenager was burnt to death at Zango area of Ilorin after his motorcycle had a head-on collision with a private Toyota car.
Our correspondent learnt a passenger on the motorcycle was carrying a jerry can filled with petrol. The second occupants barely escaped death.
People in the neighbourhood reportedly tried in vain to save the dead victim by pouring water, on him to quench the fire as he burnt to death.
An eyewitness said the fire was ignited by a spark from the motorcycle’s exhaust pipe. The charred remains of the victim was later evacuated to the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital mortuary.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Gov Ganduje Bribe Video: EFCC Asked To Take Action
- Update On 24hours Curfew In Kaduna
- Friend Defrauds Man of N7m, Threatens To Kill Him & His Wife
- Minimum Wage: NLC, Organised Labour To Call Fresh Strike
- Popular King's Son Graduates As Overall Best At NDA (Pics)
- 19yrs Old Girl Buys 2 Cars For Her Parents (Photos)
- Oshiomhole In Trouble? Angry APC Governors Heading To Abuja To Sack Him
- Tania Omotayo Weds Co-Restaurant Owner in Lagos (Photos)
- Amaechi Spotted Praying Seriously At Redeemed Church
- Nigerian Man, Okoloko Sworn In As Judge In US (Photos)
- How APC, Presidency Dribble Shehu Sani - Senator Ben Bruce
- Woman Leading Kidnap & Robbery Gang Finally Arrested
- Atiku Agrees To Give Office Of SGF To Yorubas
- Angry DPO Brutalises Innocent Man For Causing His Transfer
- Fayose In Lagos, Ready For His Court Trial Today
- I Won't Come Back To Face Trial In Court, says Nnamdi Kanu
- Senior Female Police Officer Kidnapped In Broad Daylight?
- Aisha Buhari Stops Oshiomhole From Entering Their House?
- How God Saved A Yong Lady From Ritualists
- Peter Obi Visits Ohaneze Ndigbo President (Photos)
- Update On Pastor Whose Corpse Was Found With Friend and A Married Woman
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ooni's New Wife Called Herself A "Queen" Over A Year Ago
- What gas flaring costs Nigeria annually- Expert
- Atiku courts Southwest with SGF slot
- How Atiku betrayed Ekweremadu, others
- Labour to embark on another nationwide strike
- Photos Of Fayose At The Airport
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Powerful Forces Want Me Out Of APC
- "Only Buhari Can Fire Me" - Suspended NHIS Boss Insists
- Man Finds Out His Wife Got Pregnant For 4 Men; DNA Shows He's Not The Father Of Their 4 Kids
- Yahoo Boy Kills Policeman While Trying To Evade Arrest In Delta
- Ex-Chief Justice of Nigeria Idris Kutigi Dies In London Hospital
- I Will Still Contest In 2019 - Senator Shehu Sani
- Fayose Leaves EFCC Office As He Flies To Lagos
- Nigerian Man Weds Beautiful Oyinbo Woman In Style (Photos)
- Buhari Reacts To Killing Of 55 People In Kaduna Violence
- PHOTOS: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To First Child At 67
- Ambode In Trouble? Plot To Impeach Him Hots Up
- Questions Reuters, Aljazeera, the Economist, AP, others ask Lai about Atiku, PDP