Success Nwogu, Ilorin
A suspected thief, Yunus Suleiman, was knocked down by a motorist as he fled on the Murtala Mohammed Road, Ilorin, Kwara State on Tuesday.
He shocked eyewitnesses when he was apprehended and confessed to have stolen the motorcycle at Challenge area of Ilorin. He added that he wanted to sell it off and use the proceeds to fund his wedding.
But, as he was knocked down on the overhead bridge along Murtala Mohammed Road, one of his legs was broken.
The Kwara State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ajayi Okasanmi, said the suspect hailed from Kishi in Kaiama local government area of the state.
Suleiman barely escaped being lynched by a mob attracted by the cry of the owner of the motorcycle, who had been pursuing him.
He was caught as he lay in a pool of blood.
Some of the spectators suggested that he should be lynched while some others said he should be handed over to the police. The crowd watched him as he writhed in pain.
The suspect expressed regret for his action and said he was under pressure to find money to finance his wedding coming up in a few days’ time.
“If I had known that I would be passing through this problem, I would not have stolen this motorcycle. I was only looking for money to fund my wedding, which comes up in few days’ time. Please spare my life. Do not burn me. I regret my action,” he said.
Okasanmi told our correspondent that Suleiman was later rescued by the police and taken to the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital for treatment.
“We have commenced investigation into the matter,”Okasanmi said.
Meanwhile, the Kwara State Public Relations Officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Mr. Henry Bilesanmi, said the corps had arrested seven petrol black marketeers.
He said two of the suspects were arrested on Tuesday while the rest were arrested during the Yuletide.
While warning people against careless use and display of petrol, he confirmed that a teenager was burnt to death at Zango area of Ilorin after his motorcycle had a head-on collision with a private Toyota car.
Our correspondent learnt a passenger on the motorcycle was carrying a jerry can filled with petrol. The second occupants barely escaped death.
People in the neighbourhood reportedly tried in vain to save the dead victim by pouring water, on him to quench the fire as he burnt to death.
An eyewitness said the fire was ignited by a spark from the motorcycle’s exhaust pipe. The charred remains of the victim was later evacuated to the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital mortuary.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- I wasn’t an absentee student at UNILAG – Odunlade Adekola
- Coalition, NewPDP insist PDP must change name to join alliance
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Oyegun, House Speaker Shun APC Congress In Edo State
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants