One of the children of the Late Moshood Abiola, otherwise known as MKO, AbdulMumuni Abiola, has accused his brothers, Kola, Deji and Agboola of “playing god” with their late father’s properties.
In a statement on Friday, AbdulMumuni, who is the youngest child of the late Kudirat Abiola, said he was representing 40 other siblings.
He claimed that his life had been in danger because of his efforts to revive his late father’s abandoned projects, investments and properties.
AbdulMumuni said, “My brothers, sisters and I, totalling 40 children of Abiola, are not fighting with them. We don’t have a bone to pick with them.
“But we need to step out of the past and of our father’s shadow. Kola, Deji and Agboola have been peddling lies in the media about my efforts to bring about changes to the dwindling fortunes of the Abiola family.
“I am ashamed just like my other brothers and sisters that after MKO Abiola’s death, many of his legacies appear to be in a shambles.
“It shouldn’t be like that. That is not what MKO Abiola stood for while he was alive. I want the good people of Nigeria to prevail on Kola and his cohorts to stop using the police to harass me or those who are working with me to restore the lost glory of the Abiola family.”
The assets of the late business mogul and democracy icon have been a subject of rancour between Kola, the eldest son, and his siblings since their father’s death.
MKO Abiola, the winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election, which has become known as the freest and fairest election in Nigeria, died on July 7, 1998, on the day he was released from a four-year detention sanctioned by late Head of State, Sani Abacha.
His wife, Kudirat, who fought the democratic battle on his side, had earlier been assassinated in 1996.
On Tuesday, four men were reportedly arraigned at a magistrate’s court for allegedly entering the late MKO Abiola’s bulk purchase bookshop in Oshodi, Lagos to steal properties valued at N1bn.
However, AbdulMumuni alleged that this was a “farce”
He said, “Every effort I have been making to renovate my father’s properties is not self-driven. It is for all my siblings and for the name of Chief MKO Abiola not to be dragged through the mud.
“Why should some people be sending thugs and miscreants after me and those working with me to renovate MKO Abiola’s properties? Why should that be? Do we have to wash our dirty linen in the public?
“Why should only a select few of Abiola’s children sit on our father’s properties? I am not even asking them to give me and my other siblings a share of the money-spinning companies of my father that they sit on.
“Our humble request is that they should allow me and my other siblings who are interested in renovating Abiola’s derelict properties. They should allow us to revive MKO Abiola’s abandoned projects.”
Saturday PUNCH had reached out to AbdulMumuni to confirm if the statement indeed emanated from him and he confirmed it did.
Saturday PUNCH also reached out to Kola for comment but an individual, who answered the call, explained that he would deliver the message to him and that he would call back.
When he never did, our correspondent tried to call him several times but the line was never answered.
He did not also respond to a text message sent to him.
Deji’s line was unavailable.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- I wasn’t an absentee student at UNILAG – Odunlade Adekola
- Coalition, NewPDP insist PDP must change name to join alliance
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Oyegun, House Speaker Shun APC Congress In Edo State
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants