…gives condition for govs’ seeking second term
By Chinonso Alozie, Owerri
Imo state Governor, Rochas Okorocha, yesterday, received the newly posted state Resident Electoral Commissioner, REC, Prof. Francis Emeka Ezeonu.
In a statement to newsmen in Owerri by Okorocha’s Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Sam Onwuemeodo, also the governor advocated for a standing election time table in Nigeria.
The release quoted the governor, given a sort of condition to governors’ and other public office holders seeking second term in office, saying that they should first be asked to present their score card.
According to the governor’s statement, “The Imo State Governor and Chairman, Progressive Governors’ Forum, Owelle Rochas has called for a standing INEC time-table for elections in the interest of governance.
“Standing election time-table has become necessary since once INEC announces its time-table for election, governance suffers a great deal and that the announced INEC time-table came somewhat too early.”
On his view about public office holders seeking second term, he said: “All political office holders seeking for second term in office should be made to produce their score cards to INEC as part of the condition to Contest, otherwise, the mandate given by both the people and INEC would amount to nothing.”
He also said: “My concern is that we spend more time talking about election than we spend talking about governance. The recent pronouncement by INEC in January of activities in August, is to the best of my knowledge, taking us off governance into election.
“And if you look at it we barely have spent two years in governance. And once this is pronounced, everybody’s head goes to elections. So we’re virtually derailed the rest of the time for election.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- I wasn’t an absentee student at UNILAG – Odunlade Adekola
- Coalition, NewPDP insist PDP must change name to join alliance
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Oyegun, House Speaker Shun APC Congress In Edo State
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants