Tennis superstar, Serena Williams, has revealed that she nearly died after she had her baby last September.
She said she needed an emergency C-section and that she had multiple surgeries after giving birth to daughter, Alexis Olympia.
Serena experienced a wave of medical and emotional issues after giving birth to her first child last year, according to a report.
The day after the operation, she fell ill and doctors found several small clots in her lungs. Then she suffered another terrifying scare when her C-section scar burst open and doctors found a large haematoma (a solid swelling of clotted blood within the tissues) had flooded her abdomen.
Serena underwent several surgeries and was unable to get out of bed for six weeks.
She said: “That was an amazing feeling (being handed her daughter).
“And then everything went bad.”
Serena was found to have a pulmonary embolism, and the coughing it caused meant her C-section wound burst open.
Because she had been taking blood-thinners to dispel the clots, the medication caused bleeding at the site of the Caesarian section.
She had to undergo another surgery, and a week later, she finally went home and found she wasn’t even able to get out of bed.
Her daughter, Alexis Olympia, was born via emergency Caesarean section due to the baby’s alarmingly low heart rate.
Little Alexis was fine after her September birth, but Williams said that “everything went bad” for her personally.
Williams ultimately needed to have a filter placed in a major vein to stop blood clots from going to her lungs.
She was not able to get out of bed for six weeks after she finally left the hospital a week after giving birth.
Williams says the experience has taken an emotional toll on her as well.
“Sometimes, I get really down and feel like, man, I can’t do this,” she confessed.
“It’s that same negative attitude I have on the court sometimes. I guess that’s just who I am. No one talks about the low moments — the pressure you feel, the incredible letdown every time you hear the baby cry.”
Williams said she has broken down frequently since becoming a mother.
“Or I’ll get angry about the crying, then sad about being angry, and then guilty, like, ‘Why do I feel so sad when I have a beautiful baby?’ The emotions are insane,” she said.
The star has won a record 23 Grand Slam titles in her illustrious career.
(NY Daily News/News.AU/Vogue)
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Tenis star Sharapova confirms romance with Prince william
- Alexis Sanchez at Man Utd is a typical Torres at Chelsea – Carragher
- Copa del’ Rey decisive fixtures
- EFCC Keeps Mum On Gov. Ganduje Bribe Video
- Atiku Meets Yoruba Leaders Over Top Political Offices
- PDP Warns INEC Against Receiving Unauthorized Names
- Confusion over Travel Ban List as Presidency, Security differ
- NAFDAC Searching For Drugs Made From Human Flesh
- EFCC stacks allegation, evidence against Fayose in court
- 900 retirees die waiting for pension
- Ooni Reveals Why He Married A Prophetess (Photos)
- Fayose Charged With Fraud By EFCC, Moved To Lagos
- Delta State University Graduate Climbs A Mast After Running Mad (Photo)
- I Don’t Know Bola Tinubu’s Position In APC – Obasanjo
- Windscreens Cracked As Hailstones Rain Down On Cars From The Sky In Abuja
- Minimum Wage: Ngge Says Labour Can't Dictate To Govt.
- Police Drags Adeleke To Court, Says "We're Not Aware Of Kemi Adeosun Forgery"
- N2.1bn Case: Face Dasuki, Not I - Dokpesi Tells Court
- Amosun Dares APC, Insists On Handing Over To His Candidate
- See Reactions To Nnamdi Kanu's Appearance In Jerusalem
- Photos Of VP Osinbajo Visiting Bayelsa Flood Victims
- Popular Actor Okon Lagos and His Beautiful Wife Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- SFU exposes bank staffers, criminals forging ATM cards
- Splinter group emerges in APC
- 2019: Buhari remembers Jonathan, tells Kannywood his surprise
- Usain Bolt, Valletta contract goes south
- Injured trio return to training for Liverpool
- Brazil to inject $1.1bn into Nigeria’s agriculture, says envoy
- Musa skips his game to sort out family matter
- Billikisu is NWPL referee of the week
- Uber announces new safety toolkit app for operators
- UBA posts all-time high gross earnings for Q3
- FG proposes N8.6trn for 2019, plans tighter fiscal plan
- Nollywood actor, Lawyer task Federal government on qualitative education
- Ekiti: Fayose tackles Fayemi, DMO over debt profile
- Volunteer Medical Corps ready for 2018 conference
- 95% of workers in mega firms think their cybersecurity culture is poor — report
- FG mandates NCC to ensure even distribution of broadband in Nigeria
- Nigeria to cut down on borrowing spree