Kamarudeen Ogundele, Ado Ekiti
The Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose, has chided President Muhammadu Buhari for replacing the sacked National Intelligence Agency’s Director General, Ambassador Ayo Oke, with Ahmed Rufai Abubakar, a northerner.
Fayose in a statement by his Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, said, seeing what President Buhari had turned the country to, the forefathers of Nigeria, who laid the foundation of the country on equity, justice and fairness, would be lamenting wherever they were.
“The President has further demonstrated to Nigerians that he is an unrepentant sectional leader, who does not care about the feelings of people from other parts of the country.
“With the appointment of Ahmed Rufai Abubakar as the NIA Director General, all the heads of security agencies are now northerners and the question is, is this what those who enshrined the federal character principle in our constitution envisaged?”
“Ambassador Ayo Oke was removed from office the same day Babachir Lawal was removed as the Secretary to the Government of the Federation. While Lawal’s replacement came from his home state, Oke’s replacement came from the North. That is unacceptable,” he said.
Fayose reminded Nigerians of the President’s directive that the World Bank should shift its focus to the northern region of Nigeria for its developmental initiatives.
“Because of the President’s nepotism, religious bigotry and favouritism, Nigeria is now more divided than ever before.
“President Buhari has consistently demonstrated that he is an ethnic champion, a religious bigot and the number one promoter of disunity in Nigeria. This he has done again with the appointment of yet another northerner as the NIA Director General.
“Even at a point, the National Chairman of the President’s party, the All Progressives Congress, John Odigie-Oyegun, had to openly fault the appointments made by the President, saying that as many as three people were appointed from one ward in a local government in the North.
“The implication of what the President has done is that, when the Security Council meeting is held today, apart from one or two insignificant people, those in the meeting will be people from one section of the country.
“Even para-military agencies are headed by people from President Buhari’s section of the country. This is unfair.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Aruna wins ITTF 2018 Nigeria Open
- Bayelsa State league draws completed
- FIFA to Ban Nigeria on August 20
- Ahmed Musa nets winner for Al Nassr on his debut in Saudi Arabia
- London, Turkey trips awaits fresh players —Waheed
- FIFA to ban Ghana over government court case against GFA
- U-18,U-20 male handball emerged winner
- Ghanaian undercover journalist Anas ,colleagues escape lynching in Malawi
- We are disappointed, but this game will help us grow —Cech
- Only NFF recognized by CAF,FIFA can sack me —Sanusi insists
- Barca’s Bartomeu leaves door Open to Pogba signing
- Rising Tension in Presidency: Uncertainty over National Assembly reconvening to consider INEC Budget
- Minister Dalung: A Huge Disservice to the Sports Industry
- Messi sets new Barca Trophy record
- Defection trauma: Akpabio battles for survival
- Breaking: Police boss overhauls SARS
- Touching Story Of 25yrs Old Man Trapped In A Little Child's Body
- APC Accuses Saraki & Dogara Of 'Treason' Over Refusal To Open National Assembly
- OPM Church Completes 6th Free School (Photos)
- Experts predict future drop in demand for petrol, diesel
- Nigerians to witness more darkness as power drops
- Presidency Attacks Saraki Over Meeting With Obasanjo
- Dismissed Nigerian Policeman 'Infects Lover, 5 Others With HIV'
- Female Senator Nominated As Replacement For Akpabio
- Dismissed Soldier Arrested For Hijacking Tanker With 45,000 Litres Of Diesel In Lagos
- Drama As Couple Get Married Inside A Flooded Church (Photo)
- BREAKING: Osinbajo Orders Immediate Overhaul Of SARS
- Lagos now third worst city to live
- Senators sue AGF, others over ‘plot’ to sack Saraki
- Saraki playing with high treason, says APC
- Lady Reveals How Her Bike Man Set Her Up For Robbery In Lagos
- Landlord Used "Juju" To Tie Tenants' Destiny In Lagos
- 37 NYSC Members Involved In Accident After Leaving Camp
- Kwankwaso Visits Governor Wike In Rivers (Photos)
- Driver R*pes Big Politician's Daughter, Gets Her Pregnant
- 2019: PDP accuses INEC of deadly silence over PVCs allegedly found at Daura’s home
- Female Professor S*xually Harassed A Male Student (Photos)
- 2019: Buhari Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill
- Woman Who Left Her Husband Bathed With Acid By Young Lover (Graphic Photos)
- Oshiomhole Meets APC Senators Privately Over Saraki?