It's a common sight to see amateurs playing five-a-side football in the streets. Through these informal games, many of them have discovered their talent and have gone on to become professionals in high demand across the world. And in a bid to make this variation of football even bigger in Africa, South African beer brand, Castle Lager has launched the biggest five-a-side tournament the continent has ever seen.
(Photo: Football West)
Called Castle Africa 5, the tournament is aimed at giving more amateur players a chance at making it in football. According to Sowetan Live, it will involve amateur teams from six Southern African countries – South Africa‚ Lesotho‚ Zambia‚ Zimbabwe‚ Swaziland and Tanzania.
The winning teams from the six countries will compete in the continental finals in Zambia in June, and the best team will be on their way to Russia to watch the World Cup. What’s more? The competition is open to everyone, including women.
Cameroonian and FC Barcelona legend, Samuel Eto’o was unveiled in Johannesburg as one of Castle Africa 5’s ambassadors. And, considering that no Southern African country qualified for the 2018 World Cup, this is a good chance for the region to tap into the World Cup craze.
First match is @Powerfm987 vs independent Media .... POWER FM wins 5-0. VIVA POWER VIVA... #CastleAfrica5s pic.twitter.com/kDbcOX0l0x— Lucky Penn (@Hloni661) January 11, 2018
Out @DiscoSoccerPark for the #CastleAfrica5s pic.twitter.com/cpdRc3Al9Z— Julia Stuart (@JuliaStuart_SA) January 11, 2018
#TNL with Marawa [@robertmarawa] & @ThatoMoeng was LIT, all things #CastleAfrica5s were discussed. Looking forward to the tournament pic.twitter.com/Oy9CUcB76B— M-Sports Marketing (@M_SportsSA) January 11, 2018
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- How Peter Obi touched my heart
- Ronaldinho opens up on planned marriage to 2 girls same day in August
- What Klopp’s Liverpool have in common with Fergie’s United
- Behold, new coaches across clubs
- Liverpool Transfer: Shaming Suarez, Coutinho
- What’s new about Pochettino
- Aubameyang’s anti-Wenger statement
- Bad news for Real Madrid
- Salah dominates Liverpool vs Real Madrid combined XI
- Trouble in Liverpool’s camp
- SARS Officer Killed 10 Days After His Wedding (Photos)
- How To Kill SIN In Your Life To Avoid Destruction
- FACTS: Only $8b Released Between Obasanjo & Buhari for Power, there's no $16b
- Twin Brothers, Naval Officer Arrested For Robbery, R*ping
- Billionaire Businesswoman Alakija: My staff defrauded me millions
- FG Has Not Awarded Contract For 2nd Niger Bridge?
- I'm Privileged To Sleep In The Same Prison Bed Used By Obasanjo - Senator Jang
- Here Are Foods That Can Make You Age Faster
- 'Herdsmen' Slaughter Two People Returning From Catholic Priests' Burial?
- Peace Corps Bill Fails As House Of Reps Refuse To Veto Buhari
- Buhari Drops Okiro From Police Service Commission; Replaced By Ex-IGP Smith
- Father in prison for 'defiling' 4 daughters; says "I was manipulated'
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Handball Forum passes vote of confidence on Federation
- Nigerian fans entertained at UEFA game with S.Eagles
- Budget Padding: Finally, court judgement favours Hon. Jibrin
- Nigeria’s Democracy Day celebration begins from mosque Friday
- Balogun joins English Premier League Club Brighton
- Highest goal scorer won’t sign Bulgaria FC
- NFF, LMC sign deals
- MTN Invests $1.8b in Telecoms Infrastructure in Nigeria
- Tourism, Lagos untapped goldmine – Lagos Speaker
- FAAC shares N701bn as ECA hits $1.911bn
- Oil slips further below $80 on talk of easing output curbs
- Court awards N10 million Damages against Zenith Bank
- Ekiti Deputy Speaker, Chief Whip impeached, replaced
- Calls, data hike hit telecom market
- Prof Akindele was my mentor, says OAU sex-for-mark victim
- Peace Corps bill dead finally
- Banks express reservations over 9Mobile viability