The first acclaimed film in the DC cinematic universe, Wonder Woman was easily the biggest surprise of 2017. One of the best things about the superhero flick was how it completely averted the male gaze and portrayed its women — mostly badass Amazons — as wholly strong and capable.
What's even cooler? One of the movie's badass Amazons was played by Nigerian heptathlete and physiotherapist, Moe Sasegbon — who also briefly reprised her role in the Justice League movie.
About three years ago, Sasegbon — who impressively started her career in athletics when she was just nine years old — made her first competitive debut for Nigeria at the 11th All African Games in Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo.
Speaking with Pulse about how she got the part in Wonder Woman, Sasegbon said:
"I did an audition. There were first of all scouting for just tall athletic looking women, so I went for the audition.
I had to do three different auditions, where I had to do different fight scenes. I was with the sword and a shield, and I got called back and got the part."
About the experience of working on the film, Sasegbon continued:
"I can say it’s one of the most amazing things I have done till date. I was involved for about six months, that included training, like in the gym, and a bit of stunt training as well.
So they were trying to create Amazon warriors, so we had to look the part and train the part. We had to be strong enough to look like Amazonian warriors."
While Sasegbon said her focus is currently on athletics, she can see herself going for an action role sometime in the future — preferably in a Nollywood movie. "If Nollywood ventures into superhero and action movies, I think that would be really fun to do", she concluded.
TV taught me how to feel.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- How Peter Obi touched my heart
- Ronaldinho opens up on planned marriage to 2 girls same day in August
- What Klopp’s Liverpool have in common with Fergie’s United
- Behold, new coaches across clubs
- Liverpool Transfer: Shaming Suarez, Coutinho
- What’s new about Pochettino
- Aubameyang’s anti-Wenger statement
- Bad news for Real Madrid
- Salah dominates Liverpool vs Real Madrid combined XI
- Trouble in Liverpool’s camp
- SARS Officer Killed 10 Days After His Wedding (Photos)
- How To Kill SIN In Your Life To Avoid Destruction
- FACTS: Only $8b Released Between Obasanjo & Buhari for Power, there's no $16b
- Twin Brothers, Naval Officer Arrested For Robbery, R*ping
- Billionaire Businesswoman Alakija: My staff defrauded me millions
- FG Has Not Awarded Contract For 2nd Niger Bridge?
- I'm Privileged To Sleep In The Same Prison Bed Used By Obasanjo - Senator Jang
- Here Are Foods That Can Make You Age Faster
- 'Herdsmen' Slaughter Two People Returning From Catholic Priests' Burial?
- Peace Corps Bill Fails As House Of Reps Refuse To Veto Buhari
- Buhari Drops Okiro From Police Service Commission; Replaced By Ex-IGP Smith
- Father in prison for 'defiling' 4 daughters; says "I was manipulated'
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Handball Forum passes vote of confidence on Federation
- Nigerian fans entertained at UEFA game with S.Eagles
- Budget Padding: Finally, court judgement favours Hon. Jibrin
- Nigeria’s Democracy Day celebration begins from mosque Friday
- Balogun joins English Premier League Club Brighton
- Highest goal scorer won’t sign Bulgaria FC
- NFF, LMC sign deals
- MTN Invests $1.8b in Telecoms Infrastructure in Nigeria
- Tourism, Lagos untapped goldmine – Lagos Speaker
- FAAC shares N701bn as ECA hits $1.911bn
- Oil slips further below $80 on talk of easing output curbs
- Court awards N10 million Damages against Zenith Bank
- Ekiti Deputy Speaker, Chief Whip impeached, replaced
- Calls, data hike hit telecom market
- Prof Akindele was my mentor, says OAU sex-for-mark victim
- Peace Corps bill dead finally
- Banks express reservations over 9Mobile viability