The first acclaimed film in the DC cinematic universe, Wonder Woman was easily the biggest surprise of 2017. One of the best things about the superhero flick was how it completely averted the male gaze and portrayed its women — mostly badass Amazons — as wholly strong and capable.
What's even cooler? One of the movie's badass Amazons was played by Nigerian heptathlete and physiotherapist, Moe Sasegbon — who also briefly reprised her role in the Justice League movie.
About three years ago, Sasegbon — who impressively started her career in athletics when she was just nine years old — made her first competitive debut for Nigeria at the 11th All African Games in Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo.
Speaking with Pulse about how she got the part in Wonder Woman, Sasegbon said:
"I did an audition. There were first of all scouting for just tall athletic looking women, so I went for the audition.
I had to do three different auditions, where I had to do different fight scenes. I was with the sword and a shield, and I got called back and got the part."
About the experience of working on the film, Sasegbon continued:
"I can say it’s one of the most amazing things I have done till date. I was involved for about six months, that included training, like in the gym, and a bit of stunt training as well.
So they were trying to create Amazon warriors, so we had to look the part and train the part. We had to be strong enough to look like Amazonian warriors."
While Sasegbon said her focus is currently on athletics, she can see herself going for an action role sometime in the future — preferably in a Nollywood movie. "If Nollywood ventures into superhero and action movies, I think that would be really fun to do", she concluded.
TV taught me how to feel.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- INEC to feed police with N6bn in 2019 polls
- Experts worry over rising cyber security poverty line in Nigeria
- Driver crushes LASTMA officer
- GTBank to increase loan book by 10%
- Zinedine Zidane is replacing one of the Manchester Clubs
- Student Who Scored 364 In JAMB Receives N5m Cash (Photo)
- Presidency Speaks On Buhari Extending 10-day London Vacation
- SARS Caught "Extorting Passengers" Despite Osinbajo's Order
- Female Corper Knocked Down By Reckless Driver In Lagos
- Story Of Abuja Wild Forest Where "All Kinds Of Things" Happen
- Oil prices down by 13% over growing US crude inventories
- MTN secures N200bn loan from Diamond bank, 11 others
- Pastor's Wife Attacked For Brutalizing Her Little Maid (Maid)
- Kemi Adeosun's Certificate: SERAP Drags NYSC Boss To Court
- Fraudster Impersonating Nollywood Actor To Defraud People Arrested In Lagos
- 2019: Tinubu tackles Obasanjo
- Police lost 15 operatives to Bandits in two months; families demand compensation
- Investors panic as prices of Bitcoin, others plummet
- Nigeria’s inflation drops again in July
- Update On How 35 Died As Bridge Collapsed In Italy (Photos)
- Buhari To Take Action On New DSS Boss and Daura
- Thief Arrested While Preparing Pepper Soup With Stolen Goat
- The Leadership In Nigeria Today Has Lost Focus - IBB
- 2019: I’m not desperate to be President – Atiku
- Tension in Abuja: US Embassy shuts Visa, Consular Services indefinitely
- Odili, Ekpu @ 70: Of patriarchs and their progenies
- Minister’s certificate forgery scam: SERAP sues NYSC over failure to publish Adeosun’s ‘exemption certificate’
- Saraki, Dogara Reveal Why They're Not Reconvening NASS
- Man Who Abducted Lagos Schoolgirl Who's Sold Into Pros-titution Arrested, Opens Up
- Uber Driver Nabbed For Beating Up 'Runs Girl' In Lagos After S*x
- 2019: I’m Qualified, Not Desperate To Be President - Atiku
- Man Steals Company’s Products To Pay Medical Bill Of Wife
- SARAKI's TIME IS UP - Oshiomhole insists, gives strong condition
- Hacks For Dealing With Smelly Feet
- Female Corper Cries As Political Thugs Kidnap Her For Refusing To Rig Election
- Oba Of Benin Arrives Abuja In His Rolls Royce and Private Jet
- 2019: Presidency Reacts To "Pressure" On Buhari Not To Run
- Lecturer Sent To Prison For R*ping His Wife Sister's Daughter
- Saraki's Refusal To Reconvene NASS Generates Serious Tension
- Woman Who Survived Rivers Boat Accident: "I Have Nightmares Every Night"