He called on the federal government to beef up security across the country to ensure the protection of lives and properties.
Senator Makarfi, who returned to the country on Wednesday, expressed shock at the killings witnessed in some parts of the country, adding that under no circumstances should such acts be allowed to recur.
“I urge well-meaning Nigerians to help in securing every nook and cranny of this country. We have no other country than Nigeria to call our own. Regardless of class or status, we should report criminals to security agents to secure our country and its people.”
Similarly, Suleiman Adokwe, a Peoples’ Democratic Party Senator representing Nasarawa South, has also called for urgent measures to end the incessant farmers/herdsmen clashes to avoid food crisis.
Adokwe, who visited the victims of Nasarawa and Benue violence taking refuge in Awe, on Wednesday said, “The farmers/herdsmen clashes have continued for too long, if this continues, food shortage is imminent.”
Adokwe, who doubles as the chairman, Senate Committee on Information and Culture, took the relief items to the Palace of the Emir of Awe, calling for effective collaboration toward halting the clashes.
He said that such collaboration would also help stakeholders to address other concerns like poverty, hunger, unemployment and other lingering issues believed to be remotely responsible for the violence.
“The collaboration will also boost individual and collective living standards and improve revenue,” he said.
The senator condemned attacks on innocent Nigerians, especially rural dwellers, by gunmen, describing the hostilities as “unwarranted and uncalled for”.
He pointed out that no society could thrive if crises-ridden, and urged the warring groups to embrace dialogue and strive toward mutual understanding and respect. “Peace is priceless; it is a necessary requirement for the development of any society,” he observed.
Adokwe assured the monarch of his continued support to his efforts toward a stable Nasarawa State, and urged him to reach out to other stakeholders so as to involve everyone in the peace building process.
Leave a comment
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- INEC to feed police with N6bn in 2019 polls
- Experts worry over rising cyber security poverty line in Nigeria
- Driver crushes LASTMA officer
- GTBank to increase loan book by 10%
- Zinedine Zidane is replacing one of the Manchester Clubs
- Student Who Scored 364 In JAMB Receives N5m Cash (Photo)
- Presidency Speaks On Buhari Extending 10-day London Vacation
- SARS Caught "Extorting Passengers" Despite Osinbajo's Order
- Female Corper Knocked Down By Reckless Driver In Lagos
- Story Of Abuja Wild Forest Where "All Kinds Of Things" Happen
- Oil prices down by 13% over growing US crude inventories
- MTN secures N200bn loan from Diamond bank, 11 others
- Pastor's Wife Attacked For Brutalizing Her Little Maid (Maid)
- Kemi Adeosun's Certificate: SERAP Drags NYSC Boss To Court
- Fraudster Impersonating Nollywood Actor To Defraud People Arrested In Lagos
- 2019: Tinubu tackles Obasanjo
- Police lost 15 operatives to Bandits in two months; families demand compensation
- Investors panic as prices of Bitcoin, others plummet
- Nigeria’s inflation drops again in July
- Update On How 35 Died As Bridge Collapsed In Italy (Photos)
- Buhari To Take Action On New DSS Boss and Daura
- Thief Arrested While Preparing Pepper Soup With Stolen Goat
- The Leadership In Nigeria Today Has Lost Focus - IBB
- 2019: I’m not desperate to be President – Atiku
- Tension in Abuja: US Embassy shuts Visa, Consular Services indefinitely
- Odili, Ekpu @ 70: Of patriarchs and their progenies
- Minister’s certificate forgery scam: SERAP sues NYSC over failure to publish Adeosun’s ‘exemption certificate’
- Saraki, Dogara Reveal Why They're Not Reconvening NASS
- Man Who Abducted Lagos Schoolgirl Who's Sold Into Pros-titution Arrested, Opens Up
- Uber Driver Nabbed For Beating Up 'Runs Girl' In Lagos After S*x
- 2019: I’m Qualified, Not Desperate To Be President - Atiku
- Man Steals Company’s Products To Pay Medical Bill Of Wife
- SARAKI's TIME IS UP - Oshiomhole insists, gives strong condition
- Hacks For Dealing With Smelly Feet
- Female Corper Cries As Political Thugs Kidnap Her For Refusing To Rig Election
- Oba Of Benin Arrives Abuja In His Rolls Royce and Private Jet
- 2019: Presidency Reacts To "Pressure" On Buhari Not To Run
- Lecturer Sent To Prison For R*ping His Wife Sister's Daughter
- Saraki's Refusal To Reconvene NASS Generates Serious Tension
- Woman Who Survived Rivers Boat Accident: "I Have Nightmares Every Night"