In a recent notice, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has instructed microfinance banks and other financial institutions to place a no debit order on bank accounts with no Bank Verification Number (BVN). Credit lodgments can be placed in such accounts.
The Post No Debit instruction will only be removed when the customer presents a BVN or enrolls for the BVN registration. Earlier directives to display notices informing customers and submitting a monthly BVN enrolment report.
The Federal Government in October last year approached a federal high court for an interim forfeiture order of funds in bank accounts with no BVN (Bank Verification Number) or incomplete KYC (Know Your Customer) requirements in commercial banks. Banks and their customers have however kicked against the move.
The court has since modified the order, allowing access to bank accounts once BVN’s have been regularized or enrolment carried out. About 30 million people have enrolled for BVNs so far.
The Central Bank of Nigeria through the Banker’ Committee and in collaboration with all banks in Nigeria on February 14, 2014 launched a centralized biometric identification system for the banking industry tagged Bank Verification Number (BVN).
BVN is issued after biometrics (finger print and photograph) details of a bank customer have been captured. Know Your Customer (KYC) requirements are a means of identification and proof of address required before customers can operate or open a bank account.
BVN provides a central database for identifying and verifying all individuals that have account(s) in any Nigerian bank and consequently, as a means of authenticating customer’s identity at point of transactions. In addition it provides a uniform industrially accepted unique identity for Bank Customers, and enables them to carry out transactions without using a card.
Leave a comment
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari should apologise to Atiku – Sen. Shehu Sani
- Search of Atiku, an attack on Opposition – Peter Obi
- CBN, NDIC monitor investigation of Skye Bank directors
- 2019: INEC in dilemma over security risk in North East
- 2019: Human Rights Community sensitizes voters against vote buying
- 2019: How APC plot to hinder Atiku from moving funds – PDP
- Pretty Lady & Her Fiance Share Cute Pre-wedding Photos
- Saraki must vacant senate presidency, Oshiomhole insists
- I'll Avoid Trial Until FG Obeys My Bail Rulings - Ex-NSA Dasuki Tells Court
- See Popular Actor John Dumelo's Farm
- Buhari Attacks Kwankwaso, Accuses Him Of Diverting Kano Funds For Campaign
- Female Speaker Of Anambra Assembly Impeached
- 2019 Election: INEC, Police, civil society calls for peace
- LG is meant to be autonomous from the state – Obasanjo
- Okorocha engages Oshiomhole in crossfire
- Allegri: I hope to stay for a long time
- Messi: Anyone can get beaten
- Conte: Real Madrid’s job is not good for me
- Joachim Low: we want to return to wining ways
- 2019: Youths declared APC obituary in Akwa Ibom
- Panic as poisoned food flood Nigerian markets
- Akeredolu declares war on journalists, bans coverage of government activities
- See 13 things Bankyw said after he announced his political ambition
- Aremu Afolayan slams Buhari, Governor Ambode over inefficient airport staff
- Thierry Henry: Monaco must stay positive despite struggles
- Oil prices determined to stay within $80
- Suarez fight with Barca star after loss
- Hazard: World Cup heroics drained me
- Higuain’s brutal revenge on CR7 for Juventus exit turned sour
- Sergio Busquets’ classy message to Real Betis manager after Barcelona’s 4-3 loss
- Man Allegedly Commits Suicide After Losing Church Money
- Police Arrest Four 'One Chance' Suspects, Female Underwear Found On Them
- Identical Twins Graduate With First Class From University Of Ibadan (Photos)
- 2019: Akwa Ibom Govt accuses EFCC of working for APC
- Fashola renders account of three years stewardship
- 2019: Peter Obi warns El-Rufai to stop Hate Speech
- Am fighting for state police – Osinbajo
- How N5m gift from a Facebook ‘Good Samaritan’ took me to jail
- 4 reasons women prefer these pot-belly-men to regular 6-pack-men
- Nigeria’s greatest problem is corruption, not restructuring- Osinbajo