In 2014, a liberian man was brought into a Nigerian hospital and the lives of many people were irrevocably changed. Thanks to the heroic efforts of Dr. Stella Adadevoh, who unfortunately lost her life, and many other doctors and nurses, Ebola was contained in Lagos.
Dr. Adaora Okoli was also one of the doctors working at the hospital that day, and she got infected with it while caring for him. Luckily, she survived. Since then she's dedicated her life to the research, treatment, and prevention of future epidemics, studying at the Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.
(Photo: Tulane University)
Last week, she was named as one of Bill Gates' "5 Heroes in the Field", a list that identifies little-known individuals helping to save the world. Her story and video interview, partially narrated by Bill Gates, will also be featured in the Jan. 15, 2018, issue of TIME magazine.
After completing her graduate studies in May, Dr. Adaora plans to form a career in which she combines clinical medicine with epidemiology. Her ultimate goal is to return to Nigeria to help prevent future infectious disease outbreaks. She believes Ebola will make a comeback.
According to her:
"This is such a great honour for me to be recognized in this way. I never imagined being called a hero. Some people find out their purpose early in life, like Beyonce’ who knew she could sing at five years old. Others find their purpose a little later, but everyone should understand that no person’s purpose is greater than another person’s.
Ebola is going to come back. It may not be next year or the next five years. But it will come back. I know I was sick for a reason. There’s a lot more I have to do."
We would rather Ebola not return, but if it does, it would help to have people like Dr. Adaora on our side. Watch her share her inspiring story below:[embedded content]
Find me where pop-culture meets tech, with a dash of film.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- How Barcelona honors Ousmane Dembele, deal partners
- APC lists 10 sins of Saraki
- Saraki Reacts To Tinubu's Allegations
- Senators tell APC to end search for scapegoats Saraki
- Rising disquiets over Ajimonbi’s demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s Radio House
- Saraki exposes Buhari-Tinubu succession pact for 2023
- UNILAG to launch centres of excellence to boost research
- We will send APC packing from Lagos – ADP
- NECO results: Students performed better in 2018, says Registrar
- Ayefele lied, Ajimobi not responsible for demolition – OYSG
- ITF organises campaigns on management of modern libraries
- Real Madrid on a move to steal a Barcelona player
- ATM dominates Banking transactions in Q2 2018
- APC Says Saraki Will Rather Rule In Hell Than Serve In Paradise
- Meet The Newly Elected NBA President
- See Nigerian Female Welder Doing Her Job Professionally
- Tambuwal Replies Tinubu
- 65yrs Old Woman Graduates (Masters) From Covenant University
- See Baby Girl With Brain Tumour Who Miraculously Recovered After Pope Francis Kissed Her
- After 5 zeroes taken off, a roll of tissue paper sells for 2.6 million bolivars in Venezuela
- Female IPOB Members Faint In Court, Rushed To Hospital (Pics)
- Demolition of Ayefele’s Fresh FM: SERAP chides Gov Ajimobi of executive rascality
- Here's The Housegirl Who Killed Her Madam In Edo
- Senator Adeleke's Certificate Saga: Matters Arising
- Security Man Steals N2m From School Account
- Nigeria Yet To Recover From Economic Recession – NBS Boss
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NUJ Reacts To Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele's Radio House
- PDP Writes Saraki To Declare Akpabio's Seat Vacant
- Saraki, Tambuwal Are Scared Of President Buhari - Tinubu
- Outrage Over Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio Station
- Presidency Replies Saraki
- Why Jonathan Was A Better President Than Buhari - Dino Melaye
- Lagos To Shut Down Third Mainland Bridge This Week (Details)
- Giwa didn’t win any election— Jones-Ere
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd manager says Man City ‘cannot buy class’
- Lionel Messi’s brother sentenced for possessing illegal firearm.
- D’Tigress bury hatchet; focus on World Cup preparation
- Lawmaker calls for NASS budget probe under Saraki
- Doctor convicted of sexual assault of patient gets probation