In 2014, a liberian man was brought into a Nigerian hospital and the lives of many people were irrevocably changed. Thanks to the heroic efforts of Dr. Stella Adadevoh, who unfortunately lost her life, and many other doctors and nurses, Ebola was contained in Lagos.
Dr. Adaora Okoli was also one of the doctors working at the hospital that day, and she got infected with it while caring for him. Luckily, she survived. Since then she's dedicated her life to the research, treatment, and prevention of future epidemics, studying at the Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.
(Photo: Tulane University)
Last week, she was named as one of Bill Gates' "5 Heroes in the Field", a list that identifies little-known individuals helping to save the world. Her story and video interview, partially narrated by Bill Gates, will also be featured in the Jan. 15, 2018, issue of TIME magazine.
After completing her graduate studies in May, Dr. Adaora plans to form a career in which she combines clinical medicine with epidemiology. Her ultimate goal is to return to Nigeria to help prevent future infectious disease outbreaks. She believes Ebola will make a comeback.
According to her:
"This is such a great honour for me to be recognized in this way. I never imagined being called a hero. Some people find out their purpose early in life, like Beyonce’ who knew she could sing at five years old. Others find their purpose a little later, but everyone should understand that no person’s purpose is greater than another person’s.
Ebola is going to come back. It may not be next year or the next five years. But it will come back. I know I was sick for a reason. There’s a lot more I have to do."
We would rather Ebola not return, but if it does, it would help to have people like Dr. Adaora on our side. Watch her share her inspiring story below:[embedded content]
Find me where pop-culture meets tech, with a dash of film.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- APC is funding Ekiti election with Abacha loots – PDP declares
- Ekiti July 14: Jonathan uses own experience to warn Buhari against using federal might
- Police parade soldier, 14 others for armed robbery
- Oil prices slump as OPEC, Russia consider output boost
- Musa Asabe: Why Family told CAN to stay away from funeral arrangement
- What you must do to keep kids with asthma out of hospital
- UCL Final: 5 signs showing Liverpool to win
- Klopp plan to distort Madrid’s plan
- UCF Final: You won’t believe Man United Legends prayer
- Woman attacks chief magistrate inside court
- Messi makes UCL team despite his absence in the final
- Ronaldo or Salah: You won’t believe Ramos’ choice
- Jubilations as Edo PDP chieftains return home from detention
- Kwara sports commissioner gives players hope
- Simba delegation storms Nigeria with 28 players
- AIPS President arrives PH to witness foundation-laying of Rivers Football Academy
- Edo FA Aiteo Cup climaxes Saturday
- Judicial Council official testifies against dollar-rich judge
- Shehu Sani, Others Set To Dump APC
- Buhari Should Mind The Way He Use Power, I Was There Before – Jonathan
- Actress Omoge Campus & I Were Separated For 7 Years Before She Died, Not Divorced – Husband
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Things To Do Before Selling Your Phone
- Soldier Appreciates God For His Life After Serving 4 Years Fighting Boko Haram
- My Wife Never Asked What I Had To Offer Before She Said 'Yes' - Comic Actor Saka
- REVEALED: Senators, Reps Bribed With N17bn To Pass Budget — Okonjo-Iweala
- Cholera outbreak: Yobe records 223 cases at Mubi Hospital
- Fidelity Bank eyes tier 1 status, unveils 4-year strategic plan
- Aviation sector has improved under Buhari – Unions
- MTN introduces 17-digit recharge PIN
- Best Mediterranean Diet For Weight Loss & Heart Health
- UBA lifts restriction on cash withdrawals abroad, Naira cards
- Grandmother ‘sentenced to death’ for drug trafficking
- Investors shun Banks over rising NPLs
- NSE index dips as bear continues to weigh on stocks
- Naira loses steam, remains stagnant at parallel market
- NBC compounds Okorocha’s woes, shuts down Reach FM
- Obaseki stalls bail condition for PDP leader – Nehikhare
- Ambode receives Leadership Award
- I don’t want this player against Liverpool, Ronaldo tells Zidane