A woman has had her conviction upheld for reading her husband’s emails, in which she discovered details of various extramarital affairs.
The woman, who was not named in local Swiss media reports, was charged with unauthorised intrusion into her husband’s data after temptation got the better of her to log into a new email account he had created on their shared computer.
The couple shared many passwords and had noted some of them down next to the computer, the court heard, according to the Aargauer Zeitung newspaper.
“He had been in contact with several women for a long time. I confronted him with his affairs, and he moved out of our flat relatively quickly,” the unnamed woman from Aargau, in northern Switzerland, said in a court hearing.
“My trust in him was gone. We did not talk to each other anymore.”
The original charges were brought in February this year when she was convicted in Muri and handed a 9,900 franc (£7,500) fine, suspended on the condition of no further offences in the next two years, and a 4,300 franc (£3,250) fine to cover police costs.
The prosecutor said the woman intentionally and repeatedly invaded her husband’s account and downloaded material that was not her own.
The computer, an external hard drive and a USB stick were confiscated.
On appeal to a district court, the defence argued for the woman’s acquittal, saying that the defendant had not technically “hacked” into her husband’s account, given she already knew his password.
However, her search history revealed that she had checked beforehand whether it was an offence to read the emails, which, the prosecution argued, demonstrated her awareness of the potential illegality of her actions.
The court upheld the conviction on the grounds that reading password-protected data without the account owner’s permission is illegal under Article 145 of the Swiss criminal code and punishable with a fine or up to three years in prison.
Nonetheless, it significantly reduced the suspended financial penalty from 9,900 francs to 1,500 francs (£1,150) because the woman merely had to “exploit her husband’s carelessness” and thus exert “minimal criminal energy” to gain access to the information.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari should apologise to Atiku – Sen. Shehu Sani
- Search of Atiku, an attack on Opposition – Peter Obi
- CBN, NDIC monitor investigation of Skye Bank directors
- 2019: INEC in dilemma over security risk in North East
- 2019: Human Rights Community sensitizes voters against vote buying
- 2019: How APC plot to hinder Atiku from moving funds – PDP
- Pretty Lady & Her Fiance Share Cute Pre-wedding Photos
- Saraki must vacant senate presidency, Oshiomhole insists
- I'll Avoid Trial Until FG Obeys My Bail Rulings - Ex-NSA Dasuki Tells Court
- See Popular Actor John Dumelo's Farm
- Buhari Attacks Kwankwaso, Accuses Him Of Diverting Kano Funds For Campaign
- Female Speaker Of Anambra Assembly Impeached
- 2019 Election: INEC, Police, civil society calls for peace
- LG is meant to be autonomous from the state – Obasanjo
- Okorocha engages Oshiomhole in crossfire
- Allegri: I hope to stay for a long time
- Messi: Anyone can get beaten
- Conte: Real Madrid’s job is not good for me
- Joachim Low: we want to return to wining ways
- 2019: Youths declared APC obituary in Akwa Ibom
- Panic as poisoned food flood Nigerian markets
- Akeredolu declares war on journalists, bans coverage of government activities
- See 13 things Bankyw said after he announced his political ambition
- Aremu Afolayan slams Buhari, Governor Ambode over inefficient airport staff
- Thierry Henry: Monaco must stay positive despite struggles
- Oil prices determined to stay within $80
- Suarez fight with Barca star after loss
- Hazard: World Cup heroics drained me
- Higuain’s brutal revenge on CR7 for Juventus exit turned sour
- Sergio Busquets’ classy message to Real Betis manager after Barcelona’s 4-3 loss
- Man Allegedly Commits Suicide After Losing Church Money
- Police Arrest Four 'One Chance' Suspects, Female Underwear Found On Them
- Identical Twins Graduate With First Class From University Of Ibadan (Photos)
- 2019: Akwa Ibom Govt accuses EFCC of working for APC
- Fashola renders account of three years stewardship
- 2019: Peter Obi warns El-Rufai to stop Hate Speech
- Am fighting for state police – Osinbajo
- How N5m gift from a Facebook ‘Good Samaritan’ took me to jail
- 4 reasons women prefer these pot-belly-men to regular 6-pack-men
- Nigeria’s greatest problem is corruption, not restructuring- Osinbajo