A woman has had her conviction upheld for reading her husband’s emails, in which she discovered details of various extramarital affairs.
The woman, who was not named in local Swiss media reports, was charged with unauthorised intrusion into her husband’s data after temptation got the better of her to log into a new email account he had created on their shared computer.
The couple shared many passwords and had noted some of them down next to the computer, the court heard, according to the Aargauer Zeitung newspaper.
“He had been in contact with several women for a long time. I confronted him with his affairs, and he moved out of our flat relatively quickly,” the unnamed woman from Aargau, in northern Switzerland, said in a court hearing.
“My trust in him was gone. We did not talk to each other anymore.”
The original charges were brought in February this year when she was convicted in Muri and handed a 9,900 franc (£7,500) fine, suspended on the condition of no further offences in the next two years, and a 4,300 franc (£3,250) fine to cover police costs.
The prosecutor said the woman intentionally and repeatedly invaded her husband’s account and downloaded material that was not her own.
The computer, an external hard drive and a USB stick were confiscated.
On appeal to a district court, the defence argued for the woman’s acquittal, saying that the defendant had not technically “hacked” into her husband’s account, given she already knew his password.
However, her search history revealed that she had checked beforehand whether it was an offence to read the emails, which, the prosecution argued, demonstrated her awareness of the potential illegality of her actions.
The court upheld the conviction on the grounds that reading password-protected data without the account owner’s permission is illegal under Article 145 of the Swiss criminal code and punishable with a fine or up to three years in prison.
Nonetheless, it significantly reduced the suspended financial penalty from 9,900 francs to 1,500 francs (£1,150) because the woman merely had to “exploit her husband’s carelessness” and thus exert “minimal criminal energy” to gain access to the information.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants