– The government says the move is to deal with problems associated with internal security
– Provision for the recruitment has already been captured in the 2018 budget
The Federal Government has assured Nigerians that more police officers will be recruited to deal with problems associated with internal security in the country.
President Buhari also promised to improve the welfare of the average Nigerian police personnel. Photo credit: Aso Rock
READ ALSO: Emir of Kano’s first son becomes a police officer
Buhari who was represented by the minister of Interior, Abdulrahman Bello Dambazau, at the event, said “on assumption of office, I directed for the recruitment of a total of 10,000 eligible young graduates and able bodied school leavers into the Nigeria Police Force.
“I am proud to note that just as 767 Cadet ASP are passing out from the Police Staff College in Jos, another set of Cadet Inspectors are graduating from the Police College, Ikeja.”
The president stated that the provision for more recruitment was already capture in the 2018 budget.
He promised that his administration would also improve the welfare of police officers who constantly put their lives on the line for Nigerians to live and move around peacefully and freely.
On his part, the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris said the task of policing any democratic society depends largely on the number of personnel on its pay-roll, adding that the rationale behind the increase in police personnel was in line with the United Nations recommendation ratio of one policeman to 400 people.
Meanwhile, a group under the aegis of Coalition of Civil Society Organizations for Justice and Equity (Coalition-JE), has taken a swipe at IGP Ibrahim Idris, for what they described as “a show of shame,” in consistently disobeying court orders.
Speaking on behalf of the coalition at a press briefing in Abuja on Friday, December 15, Comrade Olayemi Success, said the rate at which the Police boss disrespects court judgements, if not checked, would slide the country into lawless state.
Are Nigerian policemen the worst in the world? – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Man Collapses In Lagos After Losing His Cash Due To Bank's Alleged 'Negligence' (Photo)
- Saraki Reacts To Viral Audio On Helping Buhari In 2015 With His Money
- Delta big boy 'Solo Pounds' nabbed for Yahoo, Armed Robbery in Ghana (Photos)
- Buhari: I've asked EFCC to account for every money recovered
- See How Woman Overpowered Thief Trying To Rob Her
- "My Wife's Money Demands Turned Me To Criminal" - Suspect Arrested In Lagos
- Popular Millionaire "Kills" Single Mother During S*x
- Buhari appoints fresh blood in CBN
- Buhari appoints new heads agencies, parastatals
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ladies Stop Turning Us Down, We Earn More Than Many Men Wearing Suit - Keke Driver
- Suspected Lagos Yahoo-Boy Arraigned, Remanded In Prison
- CAN meets Buhari, says APC turning hiding place for corrupt politicians
- Dollar Bribe: Oshiomhole Cries Out Over Moves To Nail Him
- How S*x Outside Marriage Is Exposing People To Demons
- Buhari Reacts: Igbo leaders’ endorsement of Atiku can't stand
- Beware Of Six Factors That Ruin Marriages
- Buhari, Oshiomhole Meet In Aso Rock Over 2019
- Workers Running Out of Patience Over New Minimum Wage
- Shehu Sani Slams Governors Who Say They Can't Pay N30k
- My Vision For Better Nigeria Achievable - Buhari
- Married Female Banker Steals Customer’s N8Million In Abuja
- Why Atiku will not stay beyond 4 years as President- Aide
- Court orders Trump to restore press pass of CNN reporter
- Total National Division 1 dunks off November 27
- Volleyball: Nimrod attends FIVB Congress in Mexico
- FIFA approves Stephen Okechukwu Keshi Stadium, Asaba for Uganda friendly
- Rohr: Injuries, suspensions mean opportunities for others
- Revealed! See how much Nigeria’s political officers earn
- Onyekuru sued by baby mama over child support payment
- Super Eagles/Uganda friendly :Ikpeba,Yobo, others storm Asaba
- APC leadership style, an enduring legacy – Kasunmu
- I have only 75k in my account- Efe BBNaija admits
- NGO raises funds for cancer patients
- AfDB President speaks on Buhari’s hardline on Africa Free Trade agreement
- Dollar appreciates as Brexit deal suffers setback
- FG to set up special Banks for petty traders
- Buhari extends Seplat’s OMLs to 2038
- Buhari makes new appointments
- Don't Die Till Our Strike Is Over - Mortuary Staff Tells Ghanains