– The government says the move is to deal with problems associated with internal security
– Provision for the recruitment has already been captured in the 2018 budget
The Federal Government has assured Nigerians that more police officers will be recruited to deal with problems associated with internal security in the country.
President Buhari also promised to improve the welfare of the average Nigerian police personnel. Photo credit: Aso Rock
READ ALSO: Emir of Kano’s first son becomes a police officer
Buhari who was represented by the minister of Interior, Abdulrahman Bello Dambazau, at the event, said “on assumption of office, I directed for the recruitment of a total of 10,000 eligible young graduates and able bodied school leavers into the Nigeria Police Force.
“I am proud to note that just as 767 Cadet ASP are passing out from the Police Staff College in Jos, another set of Cadet Inspectors are graduating from the Police College, Ikeja.”
The president stated that the provision for more recruitment was already capture in the 2018 budget.
He promised that his administration would also improve the welfare of police officers who constantly put their lives on the line for Nigerians to live and move around peacefully and freely.
On his part, the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris said the task of policing any democratic society depends largely on the number of personnel on its pay-roll, adding that the rationale behind the increase in police personnel was in line with the United Nations recommendation ratio of one policeman to 400 people.
Meanwhile, a group under the aegis of Coalition of Civil Society Organizations for Justice and Equity (Coalition-JE), has taken a swipe at IGP Ibrahim Idris, for what they described as “a show of shame,” in consistently disobeying court orders.
Speaking on behalf of the coalition at a press briefing in Abuja on Friday, December 15, Comrade Olayemi Success, said the rate at which the Police boss disrespects court judgements, if not checked, would slide the country into lawless state.
Are Nigerian policemen the worst in the world? – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- I wasn’t an absentee student at UNILAG – Odunlade Adekola
- Coalition, NewPDP insist PDP must change name to join alliance
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Oyegun, House Speaker Shun APC Congress In Edo State
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants