– The government says the move is to deal with problems associated with internal security
– Provision for the recruitment has already been captured in the 2018 budget
The Federal Government has assured Nigerians that more police officers will be recruited to deal with problems associated with internal security in the country.
President Buhari also promised to improve the welfare of the average Nigerian police personnel. Photo credit: Aso Rock
READ ALSO: Emir of Kano’s first son becomes a police officer
Buhari who was represented by the minister of Interior, Abdulrahman Bello Dambazau, at the event, said “on assumption of office, I directed for the recruitment of a total of 10,000 eligible young graduates and able bodied school leavers into the Nigeria Police Force.
“I am proud to note that just as 767 Cadet ASP are passing out from the Police Staff College in Jos, another set of Cadet Inspectors are graduating from the Police College, Ikeja.”
The president stated that the provision for more recruitment was already capture in the 2018 budget.
He promised that his administration would also improve the welfare of police officers who constantly put their lives on the line for Nigerians to live and move around peacefully and freely.
On his part, the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris said the task of policing any democratic society depends largely on the number of personnel on its pay-roll, adding that the rationale behind the increase in police personnel was in line with the United Nations recommendation ratio of one policeman to 400 people.
Meanwhile, a group under the aegis of Coalition of Civil Society Organizations for Justice and Equity (Coalition-JE), has taken a swipe at IGP Ibrahim Idris, for what they described as “a show of shame,” in consistently disobeying court orders.
Speaking on behalf of the coalition at a press briefing in Abuja on Friday, December 15, Comrade Olayemi Success, said the rate at which the Police boss disrespects court judgements, if not checked, would slide the country into lawless state.
Are Nigerian policemen the worst in the world? – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nobody wants Nigeria suspended —Giwa
- Who is Victor Moses? — Segun Odegbami
- Ndidi signs a new six-year contract with Leicester City
- Barca director hints they haven’t given up on Pogba
- Atiku, Ben Bruce react to demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio House
- Acadeny for Stars expelled, fined
- How NFF escaped FIFA ban
- Army investigates female soldier for brutalizing niece
- After a year in coma, footballer wakes up
- Microsoft uncovers more hacking attempts
- Another senator docked for N245m fraud
- Ayefele’s Building Demolition: Both Sides State Their Case
- Man Stabs His 2 Younger Brothers To Death Over Their Father's Property In Delta
- Two Women Nabbed For Buying Day-old Twins For N1.8m
- Woman Gets Married For The First Time At 60 (Photo)
- SHOCKING: CBN Officer Who Belonged To "Secret Society" Dies Mysteriously In Abuja
- Thrilling Things To Do This Holiday
- Gunmen Kill Popular Catholic Priest In Abuja
- You Didn't Build A Single Company In 8 Year, I've Built 9 In 3 Years - Udom replies Akpabio
- Strange Chemical Emission Fills The Air In Anambra Community, 7 Reportedly Dead
- Tinubu Not Happy with Buhari Govt., Supporting Him for His 2023 Ambition - Saraki
- Woman Arrested In Lagos For Pouring Hot Water On Maid
- Yahoo Boy Who Hit His Mum's Head In Desperation To Use Her For Money Ritual
- 5 Brilliant Nigerian Students Shine At World Robotics Competition
- NBS Denies Reports That Nigeria's Economy Is Still In Recession
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How Barcelona honors Ousmane Dembele, deal partners
- APC lists 10 sins of Saraki
- Saraki Reacts To Tinubu's Allegations
- Senators tell APC to end search for scapegoats Saraki
- Rising disquiets over Ajimonbi’s demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s Radio House
- Saraki exposes Buhari-Tinubu succession pact for 2023
- UNILAG to launch centres of excellence to boost research
- We will send APC packing from Lagos – ADP
- NECO results: Students performed better in 2018, says Registrar
- Ayefele lied, Ajimobi not responsible for demolition – OYSG
- ITF organises campaigns on management of modern libraries
- Real Madrid on a move to steal a Barcelona player
- ATM dominates Banking transactions in Q2 2018
- APC Says Saraki Will Rather Rule In Hell Than Serve In Paradise