The ECOWAS Youth Council (EYC), after extensive deliberation and regional consultation, has called on the government of the Republic of Sierra Leone, led by President Ernest Bai Koroma, to respect and honour the ruling of the ECOWAS Commission’s Court on the case filed by the ‘People’s Elected’ Vice President of the Republic of Sierra Leone Alhaji Siddique Sam Sumana.
EYC President, Seun Ologun William, explained to National Daily that as the leading regional youth organization, the council is resolutely committed to the entrenchment of rule of law among member states.
“We want to applaud the exemplary foresight exhibited by the aggrieved Vice President, H.E. Alhaji Sam Sumana, who, instead of heating up the fragile Sierra Leonean polity by sponsoring political thugs to create unrest and upheaval in the country, decided to take the patriotic stance of lodging his grievances and disatisfactions with the ECOWAS Court of Justice.” said William.
According to him, the EYC also appreciates the Vice President’s calmness, patience and exemplary conduct in the face of provocations while awaiting the final ruling of the ECOWAS Court.
The ECOWAS Court of Justice is the judicial organ of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and is charged with resolving disputes relating to the Community’s treaty, protocols and conventions. It also has competence to hear individual complaints of alleged human rights violations.
The EYC then calls on the Attorney General of the Republic of Sierra Leone to give objective legal interpretation and advice to the government by honouring the ruling of the ECOWAS Court on this case to its full merit.
“Our support to the ECOWAS Court ruling is a support for human rights. Since acquiring jurisdiction over human rights complaints in 2005, the ECOWAS Court has issued numerous decisions condemning human rights violations by the member states of the Economic Community of West African States (Community) and Sierra Leone is no exception to the legal regional interventions of the court,” the EYC said.
The Court’s decisions on human rights matters are based on the interpretation of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights, considered by Article 1(h) of Protocol A/SP1/12/01 to contain constitutional principles shared by all Member States as legally binding on ECOWAS Member States.
Leave a comment
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants