The ECOWAS Youth Council (EYC), after extensive deliberation and regional consultation, has called on the government of the Republic of Sierra Leone, led by President Ernest Bai Koroma, to respect and honour the ruling of the ECOWAS Commission’s Court on the case filed by the ‘People’s Elected’ Vice President of the Republic of Sierra Leone Alhaji Siddique Sam Sumana.
EYC President, Seun Ologun William, explained to National Daily that as the leading regional youth organization, the council is resolutely committed to the entrenchment of rule of law among member states.
“We want to applaud the exemplary foresight exhibited by the aggrieved Vice President, H.E. Alhaji Sam Sumana, who, instead of heating up the fragile Sierra Leonean polity by sponsoring political thugs to create unrest and upheaval in the country, decided to take the patriotic stance of lodging his grievances and disatisfactions with the ECOWAS Court of Justice.” said William.
According to him, the EYC also appreciates the Vice President’s calmness, patience and exemplary conduct in the face of provocations while awaiting the final ruling of the ECOWAS Court.
The ECOWAS Court of Justice is the judicial organ of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and is charged with resolving disputes relating to the Community’s treaty, protocols and conventions. It also has competence to hear individual complaints of alleged human rights violations.
The EYC then calls on the Attorney General of the Republic of Sierra Leone to give objective legal interpretation and advice to the government by honouring the ruling of the ECOWAS Court on this case to its full merit.
“Our support to the ECOWAS Court ruling is a support for human rights. Since acquiring jurisdiction over human rights complaints in 2005, the ECOWAS Court has issued numerous decisions condemning human rights violations by the member states of the Economic Community of West African States (Community) and Sierra Leone is no exception to the legal regional interventions of the court,” the EYC said.
The Court’s decisions on human rights matters are based on the interpretation of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights, considered by Article 1(h) of Protocol A/SP1/12/01 to contain constitutional principles shared by all Member States as legally binding on ECOWAS Member States.
Leave a comment
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 3 Nigeria FIFA referees for CAF Women Nations Cup
- Akusho wins Lagos Women Run
- Niger Tornadoes recruit fifteen players
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Nigerian Prince Who Scammed People In US Appears In Court, Begs To Go Home (Photos)
- Hoodlums vandalise 18 vehicles, rob traders openly in Lagos
- Millionaire Chief Bademosi's "Killer" Arraigned, Sent To Prison
- Obasanjo Speaks: Govs Against LG Autonomy Are Enemies Of Nigerians
- Tinunu's Wealth Questionable? EFCC Boss Asks Journalist To Write Petition
- Multiple Car Crashes In Abuja, Four Confirmed Dead
- Woman Loses Her Life Savings To Native Doctor Out Of Greed
- Fayose Hosts Peter Obi In His Lagos Home (Photos)
- Young Lady Drugged, R*ped In Lagos By Man She Refused
- Story Of Lady Who Fell From The Sky After Getting Sucked Out Of A Plane (Photos)
- Ad Agencies Turning Down Atiku Adverts for Fear of Buhari?
- Doctors Surgically Remove Toy Stuck In Boy's Throat (Pics)
- Nigeria Customs Service lift Volleyball Premier League titles
- 5 things women said when they saw this man’s giant tongue
- UK, Nigeria on war path over Diezani loot
- 2019: Tension in Sokoto as INEC omits Tambuwal on governorship List
- SERAP to EFCC, ICPC: Probe corruption in APC, PDP primaries
- 2019: How Buhari plots to block Atiku from moving funds
- Emefiele defends anchor borrowers’ scheme
- 9mobile finally gets new owners
- Court insists Ganduje can’t be probed
- APC national vice chairman sacked; headquarters reacts
- Nigerian Couple In Lovely Village-themed Pre-wedding Photos
- Court Revokes Uzor Kalu's Bail, Orders His Arrest
- Wike & His Wife Lay Hands On Each Other's Head During Prayer
- Ibrahim Magu Dodges Question On Ganduje Bribery Video
- Young Girl Who Lives In Lagos Trash Site Finally Gets Help
- PHOTOS: Man Stealing Female Panties Caught Red Handed
- Boss Who Killed Fuel Station Manager Over N40k Arrested
- EFCC Asked To Investigate Bribery Case Against Oshiomhole
- Pics From Actress Linda Ejiofor & Ibrahim Suleiman Wedding
- See What Buhari's Education Minister Said About ASUU When He Wasn't A Minister
- Another Nigerian Bank on brinks of collapse
- Don’t bet on Naira’s devaluation soon, says CBN
- How APC governorship candidate was arrested for corruption
- Stop playing politics with Nigeria’s budget, Olujimi tells Presidency