– The UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN-OCHA) plans to launch appeal fund
– The agency said it needed the money to fund the 2018 humanitarian interventions in the northeast.
– Edward Kallon, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator, said the UN needs to partner with Nigeria to enable the UN to mobilise donation to the humanitarian appeal fund
The UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN-OCHA) says it require $1.1 billion dollars to fund the 2018 humanitarian interventions in the northeast, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
The UN Humanitarian Coordinator, Edward Kallon, told newsmen in Maiduguri that the agency had concluded arrangements to launch an appeal fund to achieve this.
NAIJ.com gathered that Kallon said the request was necessary to facilitate provision of humanitarian services to 6.1 million people affected by the Boko Haram insurgency in the region.
He said that genuine partnership with Nigeria was critical to enable the UN to mobilise donation to the humanitarian appeal fund.
He said: “We still have 1.6 million people that are displaced. At the same time, we have 1.3 million people that are returning to their homes especially in Yobe and Adamawa.
“These people have not reached their final destinations. Some of them are displaced again at the Local Government Headquarters (LGAs).
‘’This is because of lack of basic social services: livelihood, shelter, water, sanitation, education and so on.
‘’We have to be able to see how we can support these people to start rebuilding their lives.
“Our priority here would remain to continue saving lives while we work with the government to support people to rebuild their livelihoods.’’
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
He, therefore, advocated for closer working collaboration with federal and state governments to enhance coordination and fast track humanitarian programmes in the affected states.
He said that security was a major challenge in the effective delivery of humanitarian interventions to many areas in the region.
Also speaking, Sean Hoy, the Irish ambassador to Nigeria, said that Ireland is a strong supporter of the UN humanitarian efforts in the northeast.
Hoy assured of his country’s support to Nigeria in addressing humanitarian crisis in the northeast region.
The National Economic Council (NEC) on Wednesday, December 13, granted approval to the federal government to spend $1 billion from the Excess Crude Account (ECA) to fight insurgency.
NAIJ.com previously reported that the UN allocated $13.4 million dollars for Nigeria Humanitarian Fund (NHF) to support over one million people in need of critical life-saving assistance in the war ravaged northeast.
Kallon disclosed this in a statement issued in Maiduguri on Monday, December 11, NAN reports.
He said that the NHF allocation would help to address the devastating situation by financing 24 projects in the region.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- See The Plane Biafra Leader Ojukwu Used In Fleeing From Nigeria During Civil War (Photos)
- Don't Expose Your Marriage to Your Mother if She Doesn't Respect The Word of God
- Lagos Big Boy, Mark Osigwe, Shot Dead By Assassins (Photos)
- We’ll Humiliate Saraki Out Of Office - APC Senator | He Replies
- Woman Shot Dead By NDLEA During Raid In Lagos
- EFCC Goes After Saraki, Gov. Ahmed Over N7Billion Bond
- APC Already Looking For A New Senate President?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How To Get Your Glow Back After Having A Baby
- Housemaid Kills Her Madam By Smashing Her Head With Stone
- Saraki Arrives Akwa Ibom In Style, Received By Crowd (Photos)
- Businessman Killed By Cultists 'On Revenge Mission' In Delta
- Saraki’s 2019 Presidential Ambition Alters Calculations In PDP
- Two Dead, 20 Trapped As Building Collapsed In Abuja
- 2019: The Big Battle For PDP Presidential Ticket Hots Up
- Demolition of my N800m music house political –Yinka Ayefele
- Nigeria’s democracy under threat, says Moghalu
- CBN floods economy with lower Naira denominations
- Saraki declares for 2019
- Israeli PM in corruption scandal
- Lagos State Govt denies privatising water supply
- Sales of pre-registered SIM cards boom despite fines
- I promise better welfare ahead of NWPL resumption –Hon. Odunlade
- Falconets eliminated from World Cup
- FIFA rejects Dalung’s ministerial visit offer
- Dollar depreciates against Naira at parallel market
- INEC Releases 2019 General Elections Notice In Lagos
- I'm An Experienced Job Creator - Atiku
- GEJ To Nigerians: Don't Despair In The Face Of Persecution
- PHOTOS: Bayelsa International Airport Almost Ready
- Corporate Keke Driver Customizes His Keke With Cups Of Sweets For Passengers
- US-based Nigerian Man Stabbed To Death By His Lover's Ex
- Nigeria Police To Be Decentralized
- Man Sentenced To Death For Killing Pregnant Wife Over N1000
- Young Robbers Terrorizing Delta Nabbed By Security Operatives
- Photo Of Saraki and His Beautiful Daughters
- Meet Nigeria's Strongest Man As He Shares Secret Of His Success
- Lady Makes Shocking Revelations: My abductors butchered people for rituals
- Many Sleeping At INEC Office In Lagos Just To Get PVC
- Ayefele fans, workers protest planned demolition of radio station