– The UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN-OCHA) plans to launch appeal fund
– The agency said it needed the money to fund the 2018 humanitarian interventions in the northeast.
– Edward Kallon, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator, said the UN needs to partner with Nigeria to enable the UN to mobilise donation to the humanitarian appeal fund
The UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN-OCHA) says it require $1.1 billion dollars to fund the 2018 humanitarian interventions in the northeast, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
The UN Humanitarian Coordinator, Edward Kallon, told newsmen in Maiduguri that the agency had concluded arrangements to launch an appeal fund to achieve this.
NAIJ.com gathered that Kallon said the request was necessary to facilitate provision of humanitarian services to 6.1 million people affected by the Boko Haram insurgency in the region.
He said that genuine partnership with Nigeria was critical to enable the UN to mobilise donation to the humanitarian appeal fund.
He said: “We still have 1.6 million people that are displaced. At the same time, we have 1.3 million people that are returning to their homes especially in Yobe and Adamawa.
“These people have not reached their final destinations. Some of them are displaced again at the Local Government Headquarters (LGAs).
‘’This is because of lack of basic social services: livelihood, shelter, water, sanitation, education and so on.
‘’We have to be able to see how we can support these people to start rebuilding their lives.
“Our priority here would remain to continue saving lives while we work with the government to support people to rebuild their livelihoods.’’
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
He, therefore, advocated for closer working collaboration with federal and state governments to enhance coordination and fast track humanitarian programmes in the affected states.
He said that security was a major challenge in the effective delivery of humanitarian interventions to many areas in the region.
Also speaking, Sean Hoy, the Irish ambassador to Nigeria, said that Ireland is a strong supporter of the UN humanitarian efforts in the northeast.
Hoy assured of his country’s support to Nigeria in addressing humanitarian crisis in the northeast region.
The National Economic Council (NEC) on Wednesday, December 13, granted approval to the federal government to spend $1 billion from the Excess Crude Account (ECA) to fight insurgency.
NAIJ.com previously reported that the UN allocated $13.4 million dollars for Nigeria Humanitarian Fund (NHF) to support over one million people in need of critical life-saving assistance in the war ravaged northeast.
Kallon disclosed this in a statement issued in Maiduguri on Monday, December 11, NAN reports.
He said that the NHF allocation would help to address the devastating situation by financing 24 projects in the region.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Ooni commissions projects to promote culture
- Woman Disgraced After Allegedly Trying To Kidnap A Baby
- Soldiers Rescue Boy Who Was Locked Up With Charm
- The 10 best Premier League signings of 2018/19 so far, including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Everton stars
- I am always ready to represent Nigeria –Kenneth Omeruo
- Germany relegated from Nations League tier
- Pogba chills with Messi; Barca rumours fuel
- Homosexuality most difficult subject to talk in football
- Buhari, Atiku congratulate Super Eagles on 2019 AFCON qualification
- Messi, Ronaldo, Salah & the top 20 scorers of 2018
- Chevron fc is fully ready for Eze United- Godtime Emiko
- Atiku begins campaign
- FG approves N60bn for rice
- Oshiomhole Escapes Moves To Sack Him
- Atiku Begins 2019 Campaign, Launches ‘People’s Policy'
- Top Leader Of Terrorists Who Abducted Leah Sharibu Killed
- Ganduje Bribe Videos: Fayose Slams Buhari, EFCC
- APC Wins Kwara Bye-election
- Osinbajo, NEMA DG To Face Probe Over IDPs N33Billion
- Ooni Of Ife: "In The Palace I Was Never Single"
- Rivers APC Guber Candidate Escapes Assassination
- Confusion As Vehicle Disappears From Police Station
- Policeman Leads Gang To Rob Delta Firm Of N30m In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Man Collapses In Lagos After Losing His Cash Due To Bank's Alleged 'Negligence' (Photo)
- Saraki Reacts To Viral Audio On Helping Buhari In 2015 With His Money
- Delta big boy 'Solo Pounds' nabbed for Yahoo, Armed Robbery in Ghana (Photos)
- Buhari: I've asked EFCC to account for every money recovered
- See How Woman Overpowered Thief Trying To Rob Her
- "My Wife's Money Demands Turned Me To Criminal" - Suspect Arrested In Lagos
- Popular Millionaire "Kills" Single Mother During S*x
- Buhari appoints fresh blood in CBN
- Buhari appoints new heads agencies, parastatals
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ladies Stop Turning Us Down, We Earn More Than Many Men Wearing Suit - Keke Driver
- Suspected Lagos Yahoo-Boy Arraigned, Remanded In Prison
- CAN meets Buhari, says APC turning hiding place for corrupt politicians
- Dollar Bribe: Oshiomhole Cries Out Over Moves To Nail Him
- How S*x Outside Marriage Is Exposing People To Demons
- Buhari Reacts: Igbo leaders’ endorsement of Atiku can't stand