– A police post in Ahiaukwu Olokoro, Abia state, has been burnt by suspected armed robbers and drug dealers
– The hoodlums carried out the attack following the arrest of some of their companions; but no life was lost during the episode
– The state commissioner for police has vowed that his men would hunt down everyone involved and make sure that they face the law
One operational vehicle attached to the station, and a parked tricycle, were also burnt.
NAIJ.com gathers that the hoodlums also broke the windscreen of a Volkswagen vehicle which was parked within the stations’ premises.
The attack was confirmed by the Abia state commissioner of police, Anthony Ogbizi, on Wednesday, December 13.
The station, after the attack (Photo credit: Punch)
Ogbizi stated that the command had created two posts in the area as a result of complaints received from residents.
The commissioner further disclosed the hoodlums had staged the attack after 4 of their members were arrested by policemen, following a tip-off.
No life was lost during the attack on the station; however, arms were stolen, and the attackers succeeded in freeing 2 of their arrested companions.
He stated: “We created two nipping points in the dustbin area and Ahiaukwu Olokoro because the areas serve as escape routes for kidnappers.
“Criminals that smoke hemp and deal in hard drugs also use the Ahiaukwu Olokoro area as a safe haven.
“On Tuesday, our operatives raided Ahiaukwu Olokoro and arrested four hoodlums following a tip-off that the drug dealers were in the area.
“But after the arrest, some suspected hoodlums mobilised and attacked the police post in the area.
“They were able to aid the escape of two of the criminals with handcuffs, while our officers were moving the suspects to the Ubakala division.
“They later went back and set the police post on fire. The fire burnt down the building with the operational vehicle attached to the post.”
He continued: “We are surprised because what happened is a challenge and we cannot give in. If we give in, it will encourage criminals to dominate the community.
“We will hunt down everyone involved and make sure that they face the law. We promise law abiding residents of the area that they will be adequately protected.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that the Nigerian police disclosed details on how a notorious armed robber was gunned down by its operatives in Abia state during a gun battle.
The police said that its operatives encountered the criminals when the command control room was alerted of a robbery attack in Imo state.
Are Nigerian policemen the worst in the world? – on NAIJ.com TV:
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- NRA promotion exam holds
- Ronaldo doesn’t guarantee Juventus the title, warns Allegri
- Kofi Anan dies in Switzerland
- NAFRC commandant pulled out from service
- Osun: Parties left out of ballot paper, INEC explains
- Nigeria loses N126.2Bn on abandoned FG properties in Lagos – Unilag Don
- Relatives protest as rescue efforts end at collapsed Abuja building
- Saraki, Ahmed under fire as EFCC tightens noose
- Your ambition a pipe dream, BMO tells Tambuwal
- Why 2019 elections may be delayed
- Story Of Woman & Her Two Daughters Impregnated By One Man
- See The Plane Biafra Leader Ojukwu Used In Fleeing From Nigeria During Civil War (Photos)
- Don't Expose Your Marriage to Your Mother if She Doesn't Respect The Word of God
- Lagos Big Boy, Mark Osigwe, Shot Dead By Assassins (Photos)
- We’ll Humiliate Saraki Out Of Office - APC Senator | He Replies
- Woman Shot Dead By NDLEA During Raid In Lagos
- EFCC Goes After Saraki, Gov. Ahmed Over N7Billion Bond
- APC Already Looking For A New Senate President?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How To Get Your Glow Back After Having A Baby
- Housemaid Kills Her Madam By Smashing Her Head With Stone
- Saraki Arrives Akwa Ibom In Style, Received By Crowd (Photos)
- Businessman Killed By Cultists 'On Revenge Mission' In Delta
- Saraki’s 2019 Presidential Ambition Alters Calculations In PDP
- Two Dead, 20 Trapped As Building Collapsed In Abuja
- 2019: The Big Battle For PDP Presidential Ticket Hots Up
- Demolition of my N800m music house political –Yinka Ayefele
- Nigeria’s democracy under threat, says Moghalu
- CBN floods economy with lower Naira denominations
- Saraki declares for 2019
- Israeli PM in corruption scandal
- Lagos State Govt denies privatising water supply
- Sales of pre-registered SIM cards boom despite fines
- I promise better welfare ahead of NWPL resumption –Hon. Odunlade
- Falconets eliminated from World Cup
- FIFA rejects Dalung’s ministerial visit offer
- Dollar depreciates against Naira at parallel market
- INEC Releases 2019 General Elections Notice In Lagos
- I'm An Experienced Job Creator - Atiku
- GEJ To Nigerians: Don't Despair In The Face Of Persecution