English writers over the years have been instrumental in social changes in the society, especially from the renaissance period. Through their literary works, they have been able to affect the world positively.
In this report, NAIJ.com brings to some of these great English writers whose works are still celebrated up till date.
William Shakespeare (1564 – 1616) English poet and playwright.
Shakespeare is a writer that is celebrated worldwide. His famous plays include Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, Merchant of Venice and Hamlet.
Jane Austen (1775 – 1817)
She is an English author who wrote romantic fiction combined with social realism. Her novels include: Sense and Sensibility (1811), Pride and Prejudice (1813) and Emma (1816).
Through their literary works, they have been able to affect the world positively. Credit: Google
Charles Dickens (1812 – 1870)
Dickens is an English writer who is also a social critic. His best-known works include novels such as Oliver Twist, David Copperfield and A Christmas Carol.
Charlotte Bronte (1816 – 1855)
Bronte is an English novelist and poet. Her best known novel is ‘Jane Eyre’ (1847).
Emily Bronte (1818 – 1848)
Emily isthe English novelist who is best known for her novel Wuthering Heights (1847), and her poetry.
George Eliot (1819 – 1880)
Eliot uses the pen namemary Ann Evans. Wrote novels, The Mill on the Floss (1860), Silas Marner (1861), Middlemarch (1871–72), and Daniel Deronda (1876)
Mark Twain (1835 – 1910)
American writer and humorist, considered the ‘father of American literature’. Famous works include The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876) and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885).
Thomas Hardy (1840-1928)
English novelist and poet. Hardy was a Victorian realist who was influenced by Romanticism. He wrote about problems of Victorian society – in particular, declining rural life. Notable works include: Far from the Madding Crowd (1874), Tess of the d’Urbervilles (1891), and Jude the Obscure (1895).
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859 – 1930)
British author of historical novels and plays. Most famous for his short stories about the detective – Sherlock Holmes, such as The Hound of the Baskervilles (1902) and Sign of Four (1890).
Beatrix Potter (1866 – 1943)
English conservationist and author of imaginative children’s books, such as the Tales of Peter Rabbit (1902).
Virginia Woolf (1882 – 1941) English modernist writer, a member of the Bloomsbury group. Famous novels include Mrs Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927) and Orlando (1928).
Alexandre Dumas (1802 – 1870)
French author of historical dramas, including – The Count of Monte Cristo (1844), and The Three Musketeers (1844). Also prolific author of magazine articles, pamphlets and travel books
D H Lawrence (1885 – 1930)
English poet, novelist and writer. Best known works include Sons and Lovers, The Rainbow, Women in Love and Lady Chatterley’s Lover (1928) – which was banned for many years.
Leo Tolstoy (1828 – 1910)
Russian novelist and moral philosopher. Famous works include the epic novels – War and Peace (1869) and Anna Karenina (1877). Tolstoy also became an influential philosopher with his brand of Christian pacificism.
Agatha Christie (1890 – 1976)
British fictional crime writer. Many of her books focused on series featuring her detectives ‘Poirot’ and Mrs Marple.
J.R.R. Tolkien (1892 – 1973)
Professor of Anglo-Saxon and English at Oxford University. Tolkien wrote the best-selling mythical trilogy The Lord of the Rings. Other works include, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion, and a translation of Beowulf.
George Orwell (1903 – 1950)
English author. Famous works include Animal Farm, and 1984. – Both stark warnings about the dangers of totalitarian states, Orwell was also a democratic socialist who fought in the Spanish Civil War, documenting his experiences in “Homage to Catalonia” (1938).
J.K.Rowling (1965 – )
British author of the Harry Potter Series – which has become the best selling book series of all time. Her first book was Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (1997). Rowling has also published adult fiction, such as The Casual Vacancy (2012) and The Cuckoo’s Calling (2013).
Samuel Johnson (1709 – 1784)
British author best known for his compilation of the English dictionary. Although not the first attempt at a dictionary, it was widely considered to be the most comprehensive – setting the standard for later dictionaries.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Saraki Replies Oshiomhole: You Should Not Even Be Talking After "Collecting Dollars"
- TraderMoni A Trick For APC Vote-buying? Case Goes To Court
- IGP, Police Service Commission clash on special promotions: Reps begin probe
- "I Won’t Die Until You Become President" - Nwabueze to Atiku
- FG has not released cash for us to complete unemployment report; says NBS Boss
- Woman Miraculously Escapes Death After Speeding Car Rammed Into Her Shop In Asaba (Photos)
- Oshiomhole Is Corrupt? Protesters Storm ICPC, Demand Probe
- Monkey Snatches Newborn Baby Boy From Mother, Kills Him
- Buhari Must Go With Hardship, We'll Fix The Economy – Atiku
- Married Woman Dies Due To 'Wrong Injection', Family Battles Lagos Hospital
- PDP A Damaged Product, says APC
- Governors to Labour: If You Insist On N30k We'll Sack Workers
- Offa Robbery Update: "You Have Case To Answer"
- Atiku, Peter Obi, Others Meet Igbo Leaders In Enugu (Photos)
- Things Choking Nigeria Economy Revealed
- Woman Duped By Boyfriend Of N4.8million In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Isaac Success rated best Nigerian player in Europe
- Adetunji returns to Abia Warriors
- Fresh cholera outbreak claims 175 IDPs in Northeast
- 2019: Buhari, APC plot to liquidate bank accounts of oppositions – PDP
- Aisha Buhari commends Governors’ Wives on commitment to women’s health
- Bribery allegation; Saraki tackles Oshiomhole
- Fresh crisis hits MOSOP
- MTN seeks operational license to establish bank in Nigeria
- El-Rufai begins Islamisation in Kaduna
- Atiku arrives Enugu for meeting with PDP leaders
- Exposed! Heritage Bank in multi-billion Naira fraud
- Apapa’s port, others under siege
- Two police officers to die for murder
- "I Saw Myself N*ked & Tied" - Lady Celebrates After Escaping From Ritualists In Delta
- Excited Man All Smiles After Undergoing Facial Surgery To Remove Huge Growth
- Beautiful Nurse & Engineer Fiance Share Pre-wedding Pics
- University professors earn more than me as a governor – Fayemi
- Lagos govt. now permits hijab in public schools
- Super Eagles will bring down Bafana —Okowa
- NPFL: Super 8 to hold in Asaba
- IMF projects 4.4% in 2019 on infrastructure projects
- Mikel Obi breaks silence on retirement from Super Eagles
- NIMC boss seeks to unlock Nigeria’s digital market opportunities