– Donald Duke has stated that Nigeria cannot keep contracting jobs to foreigners while its own workers suffer
– The former Cross River governor stated that western countries award their contracts to indigenous companies, while the reverse is the case here
– He stressed that it would be a thing of pride if Nigerians build their own country, instead of allowing others do the job
Former governor of Cross River state, Donald Duke, has stated that Nigeria cannot keep contracting jobs to foreigners while its own contractors suffer, The Nation reports.
NAIJ.com gathers that Duke lamented that nothing would be passed to the next generation if Nigerians are not allowed to make mistakes and correct them.
Donald Duke (Photo credit: Daily Post)
He stated that unlike what is obtainable in western countries where contracts are awarded to indigenous firms to grow the economy, Nigeria’s case was the reverse.
Duke stated that Nigeria’s huge population was not being effectively exploited to produce advantages for the nation and its citizens.
In his words: “In the U.S., Europe, China, they give contracts to their own people. We cannot continue contracting our own jobs to foreigners.
“We have to make the mistakes and correct the mistakes; otherwise we will not pass anything to the next generation.
“It cannot be theory every time. It will be a thing of pride that we build our country, not others building it for us.”
Duke further revealed that a proposal stating that Nigeria assembles its own household items had not yet been actualized.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that Donald Duke declared his intention to run for the position of president of Nigeria, if the opportunity presents itself again.
Duke made this revelation at a programme, ‘The Nigerian Symposium for Emerging Leaders,’ which held in Lagos.
He revealed that he once aspired to the highest position in the country on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, but things did not work as planned.
Nigerians ask President Buhari for special Christmas gifts – on NAIJ.com TV:
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- I wasn’t an absentee student at UNILAG – Odunlade Adekola
- Coalition, NewPDP insist PDP must change name to join alliance
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Oyegun, House Speaker Shun APC Congress In Edo State
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants