– A Lagos trader, Eche Israel, has been allegedly shot and whisked away by SARS officers
– He was allegedly shot at the Mile 2 area of Lagos state on his way home after work
– The victim’s family said they had been to the SARS office at Ikeja and different police stations but couldn’t find Eche
A Lagos businessman, Eche Israel, who deals in electronics at the Alaba International Market, Ojo, has been allegedly shot and whisked away by some operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in the Mile 2 area of Lagos state on Friday, December 8.
Punch reports that the 30-year-old trader was shot by the SARS officers on his way home around 6pm when he questioned the officers for stopping him and asked the motorcycle rider carrying him to move on.
NAIJ.com gathered that the victim was allegedly shot in the waist and put in the boot of the car the SARS men brought and driven away.
A cousin of the victim, Mary Israel, said a family friend, who witnessed the shooting, called the attention of Israel’s family to the incident.
Mary said the family had been to the SARS office at Ikeja and different police stations but couldn’t find Eche.
She said: “He deals in electronics in Alaba market. He had finished the day’s work and was going to his house at Ajegunle around 6pm on Friday when the officers asked him to stop. They parked a red vehicle beside the road.
“They found a Samsung phone on him and some money. The man questioning him was not in uniform, so he argued with him and asked why he was being questioned. The policeman held him by the trousers when he asked his motorcycle rider to move on.
“They shot him in the waist. The motorcycle rider fled. He was thrown into the boot of the vehicle and the policemen drove off.
“They didn’t find anything incriminating on him. He is not a robber or a thief. He has his business and a family. He is a responsible man.”
Another family member, Blessing Israel, said that all the police stations they visited said they didn’t have any suspect named Eche Israel in their custody.
She said: “We have been to SARS Ikeja, Mile 2 Police Station and the Federal SARS at Alagbon. We just returned from the Adeniji Adele Police Station. They all said there was no suspect named Eche Israel with waist injury in their cells. Where else can we go? There has been no word about him since last Friday.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that the Nigerian Senate had commenced an investigation of the special anti-robbery squad (SARS) following the widely publicised campaign for the squad to be disbanded.
The upper chamber on Tuesday, December 12, directed its committee on security to look into the allegations of brutality against SARS operatives and present recommendations within two weeks, The Cable reports.
The Senate’s order was sequel to a point of order raised by Senator Isa Misau, a former police officer, demanding a comprehensive investigation into the activities of the squad.
#ENDSARS or #REFORMSARS? Nigerians blow hot – On NAIJ.com TV:
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- GEJ To Nigerians: Don't Despair In The Face Of Persecution
- PHOTOS: Bayelsa International Airport Almost Ready
- Corporate Keke Driver Customizes His Keke With Cups Of Sweets For Passengers
- US-based Nigerian Man Stabbed To Death By His Lover's Ex
- Nigeria Police To Be Decentralized
- Man Sentenced To Death For Killing Pregnant Wife Over N1000
- Young Robbers Terrorizing Delta Nabbed By Security Operatives
- Photo Of Saraki and His Beautiful Daughters
- Meet Nigeria's Strongest Man As He Shares Secret Of His Success
- Lady Makes Shocking Revelations: My abductors butchered people for rituals
- Many Sleeping At INEC Office In Lagos Just To Get PVC
- Ayefele fans, workers protest planned demolition of radio station
- Faces Of Suspected Homos*xuals Arrested In Hotel Room
- Deadlock In National Assembly Over N189bn Budget For INEC
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Best Destinations For Your First International Trip
- Woman Lies In The Middle Of The Road To Protest Non-Payment Of 13 Months Salary
- Bank Staff Arrested For Fraud On His Wedding Day In Lagos
- Married Woman Committing Adultery Dies After S*x
- Yinka Ayefele Sues Oyo Government Over Building Demolition
- Akpabio Runs To Court, Stops Saraki From Declaring Seat Vacant
- Little Man Rocks NYSC Kit In Style
- New Minimum Wage: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Governors
- Protest At Police Headquarters Abuja Over Detention of Premium Times Journalist
- Soldiers Kill Notorious Bandit, Sani Danbuzuwa During Shoot Out
- Security vote: Governors challenge Buhari, EFCC
- Here is how much FG recovered from whistle blowers
- Philipp Lahm heads Germany bid to host Euro 2024 tournament
- Omeruo signs one year loan deal
- Ogu trains in Cyprus ahead of make-or-break match
- FCT FA Commences U-13 Football Talent Hunt
- Club Brugge turns down Osimhen after trials
- Abia Warriors crush Manga FA 4-0
- France 2018: Falconets ready to battle for semi final ticket
- 120 students participate In 3rd edition Nimrod North West Holiday Volleyball Clinic
- Female Student Wounds Friend For Advise Her To Quit Smoking
- WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?
- Lawmakers defect in Ogun
- 2019: Al-Mustapha formally shows interest in presidential race
- LCCI tackles FIRS over new tax provision