– A Lagos trader, Eche Israel, has been allegedly shot and whisked away by SARS officers
– He was allegedly shot at the Mile 2 area of Lagos state on his way home after work
– The victim’s family said they had been to the SARS office at Ikeja and different police stations but couldn’t find Eche
A Lagos businessman, Eche Israel, who deals in electronics at the Alaba International Market, Ojo, has been allegedly shot and whisked away by some operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in the Mile 2 area of Lagos state on Friday, December 8.
Punch reports that the 30-year-old trader was shot by the SARS officers on his way home around 6pm when he questioned the officers for stopping him and asked the motorcycle rider carrying him to move on.
NAIJ.com gathered that the victim was allegedly shot in the waist and put in the boot of the car the SARS men brought and driven away.
A cousin of the victim, Mary Israel, said a family friend, who witnessed the shooting, called the attention of Israel’s family to the incident.
Mary said the family had been to the SARS office at Ikeja and different police stations but couldn’t find Eche.
She said: “He deals in electronics in Alaba market. He had finished the day’s work and was going to his house at Ajegunle around 6pm on Friday when the officers asked him to stop. They parked a red vehicle beside the road.
“They found a Samsung phone on him and some money. The man questioning him was not in uniform, so he argued with him and asked why he was being questioned. The policeman held him by the trousers when he asked his motorcycle rider to move on.
“They shot him in the waist. The motorcycle rider fled. He was thrown into the boot of the vehicle and the policemen drove off.
“They didn’t find anything incriminating on him. He is not a robber or a thief. He has his business and a family. He is a responsible man.”
Another family member, Blessing Israel, said that all the police stations they visited said they didn’t have any suspect named Eche Israel in their custody.
She said: “We have been to SARS Ikeja, Mile 2 Police Station and the Federal SARS at Alagbon. We just returned from the Adeniji Adele Police Station. They all said there was no suspect named Eche Israel with waist injury in their cells. Where else can we go? There has been no word about him since last Friday.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that the Nigerian Senate had commenced an investigation of the special anti-robbery squad (SARS) following the widely publicised campaign for the squad to be disbanded.
The upper chamber on Tuesday, December 12, directed its committee on security to look into the allegations of brutality against SARS operatives and present recommendations within two weeks, The Cable reports.
The Senate’s order was sequel to a point of order raised by Senator Isa Misau, a former police officer, demanding a comprehensive investigation into the activities of the squad.
#ENDSARS or #REFORMSARS? Nigerians blow hot – On NAIJ.com TV:
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants