Gowon reveals reason why his government conceived the idea of relocating Nigeria’s capital from Lagos to Abuja
– He said the move to relocate the FCT started during his administration
– Gowon lauded the continuity of the idea which was conceived in 1974 but realised in 1976
Former head of state, Gen Yakubu Gowon (Rtd) said that the relocation of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) from Lagos to Abuja was based on the territorial integrity of the country.
Gowon said this at the commemoration of the movement of seat of government of the federation from Lagos to Abuja on Tuesday, December 12 in Abuja.
He said the decision to relocate to Abuja was largely based on security of the country’s territorial integrity.
Gowon recalled that the idea of Abuja started during his time, adding that the concept of Abuja was done by him.
“I have gone round to see other capitals of the world and we needed somewhere central to take away the crowd of Lagos, and that was when we conceived the idea, but there was a change of government,” he said.
He lauded the continuity of the idea which was conceived in 1974 but realised in 1976, adding that Lagos State would remain the economy strength of the country.
Also speaking, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Malam Muhammad Bello, said the commemoration was an opportunity to reflect on the 26 years of the country’s final relocation.
He urged the citizenry to work together to safeguard their collective heritage by joining hands to protect all public utilities and infrastructure procured at great cost.
Bello said that the present administration was working hard to complete ongoing projects which would enhance the livability of the city.
“We have achieved substantial milestones in this regard and presently, our focus is shifting to area councils and satellite towns.’’
According to him, we are poised to ensure the navigability of the city, economic vibrancy as well as improved service delivery across the board.
He urged Nigerians to support the present administration’s change agenda, especially in its effort to reduce corruption in the country.
According to him, the location of the nation’s capital makes it easier for the promotion of national integration and development.
In his remarks, Mr Umar Jibril, the executive secretary, Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), said that the Abuja project was on course, in spite of the myriad of challenges facing the city.
According to him, we have gotten the ministerial approval for the review of the Abuja Master Plan in 2018.
He said the concept of urban renewal and integration would be considered in the review process.
Bello also appealed to the FCT Original inhabitants to be understanding and patient with the government in its bid to improve infrastructure in the nation’s capital.
The supporters in their thousands flooded the streets with brooms – representing the logo of the All Progressives Congress, led by President Buhari.
Abuja residents react to the issue of #Bringbackourgirls on NAIJ.com TV:
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nobody wants Nigeria suspended —Giwa
- Who is Victor Moses? — Segun Odegbami
- Ndidi signs a new six-year contract with Leicester City
- Barca director hints they haven’t given up on Pogba
- Atiku, Ben Bruce react to demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio House
- Acadeny for Stars expelled, fined
- How NFF escaped FIFA ban
- Army investigates female soldier for brutalizing niece
- After a year in coma, footballer wakes up
- Microsoft uncovers more hacking attempts
- Another senator docked for N245m fraud
- Ayefele’s Building Demolition: Both Sides State Their Case
- Man Stabs His 2 Younger Brothers To Death Over Their Father's Property In Delta
- Two Women Nabbed For Buying Day-old Twins For N1.8m
- Woman Gets Married For The First Time At 60 (Photo)
- SHOCKING: CBN Officer Who Belonged To "Secret Society" Dies Mysteriously In Abuja
- Thrilling Things To Do This Holiday
- Gunmen Kill Popular Catholic Priest In Abuja
- You Didn't Build A Single Company In 8 Year, I've Built 9 In 3 Years - Udom replies Akpabio
- Strange Chemical Emission Fills The Air In Anambra Community, 7 Reportedly Dead
- Tinubu Not Happy with Buhari Govt., Supporting Him for His 2023 Ambition - Saraki
- Woman Arrested In Lagos For Pouring Hot Water On Maid
- Yahoo Boy Who Hit His Mum's Head In Desperation To Use Her For Money Ritual
- 5 Brilliant Nigerian Students Shine At World Robotics Competition
- NBS Denies Reports That Nigeria's Economy Is Still In Recession
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How Barcelona honors Ousmane Dembele, deal partners
- APC lists 10 sins of Saraki
- Saraki Reacts To Tinubu's Allegations
- Senators tell APC to end search for scapegoats Saraki
- Rising disquiets over Ajimonbi’s demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s Radio House
- Saraki exposes Buhari-Tinubu succession pact for 2023
- UNILAG to launch centres of excellence to boost research
- We will send APC packing from Lagos – ADP
- NECO results: Students performed better in 2018, says Registrar
- Ayefele lied, Ajimobi not responsible for demolition – OYSG
- ITF organises campaigns on management of modern libraries
- Real Madrid on a move to steal a Barcelona player
- ATM dominates Banking transactions in Q2 2018
- APC Says Saraki Will Rather Rule In Hell Than Serve In Paradise