Gowon reveals reason why his government conceived the idea of relocating Nigeria’s capital from Lagos to Abuja
– He said the move to relocate the FCT started during his administration
– Gowon lauded the continuity of the idea which was conceived in 1974 but realised in 1976
Former head of state, Gen Yakubu Gowon (Rtd) said that the relocation of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) from Lagos to Abuja was based on the territorial integrity of the country.
Gowon said this at the commemoration of the movement of seat of government of the federation from Lagos to Abuja on Tuesday, December 12 in Abuja.
He said the decision to relocate to Abuja was largely based on security of the country’s territorial integrity.
Gowon recalled that the idea of Abuja started during his time, adding that the concept of Abuja was done by him.
“I have gone round to see other capitals of the world and we needed somewhere central to take away the crowd of Lagos, and that was when we conceived the idea, but there was a change of government,” he said.
He lauded the continuity of the idea which was conceived in 1974 but realised in 1976, adding that Lagos State would remain the economy strength of the country.
Also speaking, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Malam Muhammad Bello, said the commemoration was an opportunity to reflect on the 26 years of the country’s final relocation.
He urged the citizenry to work together to safeguard their collective heritage by joining hands to protect all public utilities and infrastructure procured at great cost.
Bello said that the present administration was working hard to complete ongoing projects which would enhance the livability of the city.
“We have achieved substantial milestones in this regard and presently, our focus is shifting to area councils and satellite towns.’’
According to him, we are poised to ensure the navigability of the city, economic vibrancy as well as improved service delivery across the board.
He urged Nigerians to support the present administration’s change agenda, especially in its effort to reduce corruption in the country.
According to him, the location of the nation’s capital makes it easier for the promotion of national integration and development.
In his remarks, Mr Umar Jibril, the executive secretary, Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), said that the Abuja project was on course, in spite of the myriad of challenges facing the city.
According to him, we have gotten the ministerial approval for the review of the Abuja Master Plan in 2018.
He said the concept of urban renewal and integration would be considered in the review process.
Bello also appealed to the FCT Original inhabitants to be understanding and patient with the government in its bid to improve infrastructure in the nation’s capital.
The supporters in their thousands flooded the streets with brooms – representing the logo of the All Progressives Congress, led by President Buhari.
Abuja residents react to the issue of #Bringbackourgirls on NAIJ.com TV:
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- I wasn’t an absentee student at UNILAG – Odunlade Adekola
- Coalition, NewPDP insist PDP must change name to join alliance
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Oyegun, House Speaker Shun APC Congress In Edo State
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants