The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission says it might revisit the case files of 20 former state governors it indicted for corruption in 2008.
NAN reports that the acting Chairman of the commission, Mr. Abdullahi Bako, told newsmen in Abuja that the case files were shelved due to a combination of legal and financial impediments.
“The cases came up when the governors were still in office, and the law provides for the setting up of an independent council to investigate them.
“Unfortunately, at that time, the Office of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, which was to appoint the council, had no money to pay for such gigantic operation or assignment
“That was why nothing was done about it. But the files may be revisited now that they have left office, especially of those with prima facie cases against them.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that the commission in mid 2008 announced the setting up of a committee to investigate several petitions of alleged corrupt acts against the governors.
At the end of the exercise, 20 of the ex-governors, whose identities were not released by the commission, were allegedly found to have violated the ICPC Act.
Bako also told newsmen on Tuesday that the commission was awaiting the directive of the Federal Government on what to do with the assets recovered from the looters.
“We are not auctioning the assets. There is a body set up by the government to audit recovered assets all over the country and abroad.
“It is left for the government to decide thereafter; it is not for the individual anti-corruption agencies to dispose of anything,’’ he said. (NAN)
NAIJ.com had reported that ICPC arraigned one Eno Ofem before an Abuja high court, for alleged impersonation of the Presidency in the office of the chief of staff, Punch reports.
NAIJ.com gathered that the anti-graft agency said in a statement by its spokesperson, Rasheedat Okoduwa, that Ofem, who contested the 2015 National Assembly election and lost, was charged before Justice Valentine Ashi for duping some Nigerians of over N100 million.
Ofem, who was arraigned on six counts bordering on fraud allegedly promised some unsuspecting Nigerians that he could help them secure juicy appointments.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- See The Plane Biafra Leader Ojukwu Used In Fleeing From Nigeria During Civil War (Photos)
- Don't Expose Your Marriage to Your Mother if She Doesn't Respect The Word of God
- Lagos Big Boy, Mark Osigwe, Shot Dead By Assassins (Photos)
- We’ll Humiliate Saraki Out Of Office - APC Senator | He Replies
- Woman Shot Dead By NDLEA During Raid In Lagos
- EFCC Goes After Saraki, Gov. Ahmed Over N7Billion Bond
- APC Already Looking For A New Senate President?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How To Get Your Glow Back After Having A Baby
- Housemaid Kills Her Madam By Smashing Her Head With Stone
- Saraki Arrives Akwa Ibom In Style, Received By Crowd (Photos)
- Businessman Killed By Cultists 'On Revenge Mission' In Delta
- Saraki’s 2019 Presidential Ambition Alters Calculations In PDP
- Two Dead, 20 Trapped As Building Collapsed In Abuja
- 2019: The Big Battle For PDP Presidential Ticket Hots Up
- Demolition of my N800m music house political –Yinka Ayefele
- Nigeria’s democracy under threat, says Moghalu
- CBN floods economy with lower Naira denominations
- Saraki declares for 2019
- Israeli PM in corruption scandal
- Lagos State Govt denies privatising water supply
- Sales of pre-registered SIM cards boom despite fines
- I promise better welfare ahead of NWPL resumption –Hon. Odunlade
- Falconets eliminated from World Cup
- FIFA rejects Dalung’s ministerial visit offer
- Dollar depreciates against Naira at parallel market
- INEC Releases 2019 General Elections Notice In Lagos
- I'm An Experienced Job Creator - Atiku
- GEJ To Nigerians: Don't Despair In The Face Of Persecution
- PHOTOS: Bayelsa International Airport Almost Ready
- Corporate Keke Driver Customizes His Keke With Cups Of Sweets For Passengers
- US-based Nigerian Man Stabbed To Death By His Lover's Ex
- Nigeria Police To Be Decentralized
- Man Sentenced To Death For Killing Pregnant Wife Over N1000
- Young Robbers Terrorizing Delta Nabbed By Security Operatives
- Photo Of Saraki and His Beautiful Daughters
- Meet Nigeria's Strongest Man As He Shares Secret Of His Success
- Lady Makes Shocking Revelations: My abductors butchered people for rituals
- Many Sleeping At INEC Office In Lagos Just To Get PVC
- Ayefele fans, workers protest planned demolition of radio station