The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission says it might revisit the case files of 20 former state governors it indicted for corruption in 2008.
NAN reports that the acting Chairman of the commission, Mr. Abdullahi Bako, told newsmen in Abuja that the case files were shelved due to a combination of legal and financial impediments.
“The cases came up when the governors were still in office, and the law provides for the setting up of an independent council to investigate them.
“Unfortunately, at that time, the Office of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, which was to appoint the council, had no money to pay for such gigantic operation or assignment
“That was why nothing was done about it. But the files may be revisited now that they have left office, especially of those with prima facie cases against them.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that the commission in mid 2008 announced the setting up of a committee to investigate several petitions of alleged corrupt acts against the governors.
At the end of the exercise, 20 of the ex-governors, whose identities were not released by the commission, were allegedly found to have violated the ICPC Act.
Bako also told newsmen on Tuesday that the commission was awaiting the directive of the Federal Government on what to do with the assets recovered from the looters.
“We are not auctioning the assets. There is a body set up by the government to audit recovered assets all over the country and abroad.
“It is left for the government to decide thereafter; it is not for the individual anti-corruption agencies to dispose of anything,’’ he said. (NAN)
NAIJ.com had reported that ICPC arraigned one Eno Ofem before an Abuja high court, for alleged impersonation of the Presidency in the office of the chief of staff, Punch reports.
NAIJ.com gathered that the anti-graft agency said in a statement by its spokesperson, Rasheedat Okoduwa, that Ofem, who contested the 2015 National Assembly election and lost, was charged before Justice Valentine Ashi for duping some Nigerians of over N100 million.
Ofem, who was arraigned on six counts bordering on fraud allegedly promised some unsuspecting Nigerians that he could help them secure juicy appointments.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Woman Miraculously Escapes Death After Speeding Car Rammed Into Her Shop In Asaba (Photos)
- Oshiomhole Is Corrupt? Protesters Storm ICPC, Demand Probe
- Monkey Snatches Newborn Baby Boy From Mother, Kills Him
- Buhari Must Go With Hardship, We'll Fix The Economy – Atiku
- Married Woman Dies Due To 'Wrong Injection', Family Battles Lagos Hospital
- PDP A Damaged Product, says APC
- Governors to Labour: If You Insist On N30k We'll Sack Workers
- Offa Robbery Update: "You Have Case To Answer"
- Atiku, Peter Obi, Others Meet Igbo Leaders In Enugu (Photos)
- Things Choking Nigeria Economy Revealed
- Woman Duped By Boyfriend Of N4.8million In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Isaac Success rated best Nigerian player in Europe
- Adetunji returns to Abia Warriors
- Fresh cholera outbreak claims 175 IDPs in Northeast
- 2019: Buhari, APC plot to liquidate bank accounts of oppositions – PDP
- Aisha Buhari commends Governors’ Wives on commitment to women’s health
- Bribery allegation; Saraki tackles Oshiomhole
- Fresh crisis hits MOSOP
- MTN seeks operational license to establish bank in Nigeria
- El-Rufai begins Islamisation in Kaduna
- Atiku arrives Enugu for meeting with PDP leaders
- Exposed! Heritage Bank in multi-billion Naira fraud
- Apapa’s port, others under siege
- Two police officers to die for murder
- "I Saw Myself N*ked & Tied" - Lady Celebrates After Escaping From Ritualists In Delta
- Excited Man All Smiles After Undergoing Facial Surgery To Remove Huge Growth
- Beautiful Nurse & Engineer Fiance Share Pre-wedding Pics
- University professors earn more than me as a governor – Fayemi
- Lagos govt. now permits hijab in public schools
- Super Eagles will bring down Bafana —Okowa
- NPFL: Super 8 to hold in Asaba
- IMF projects 4.4% in 2019 on infrastructure projects
- Mikel Obi breaks silence on retirement from Super Eagles
- NIMC boss seeks to unlock Nigeria’s digital market opportunities
- NWFL appoints Icheen Women’s Pro-League Coordinator
- Federal Govt. to auction N115 billion bonds
- Cannibal walks into police station holding human leg
- Girls' Schools Fight Violently, Over 40 Injured
- Woman's Throat Slashed By Husband's Son (Graphic Pic)