The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission says it might revisit the case files of 20 former state governors it indicted for corruption in 2008.
NAN reports that the acting Chairman of the commission, Mr. Abdullahi Bako, told newsmen in Abuja that the case files were shelved due to a combination of legal and financial impediments.
“The cases came up when the governors were still in office, and the law provides for the setting up of an independent council to investigate them.
“Unfortunately, at that time, the Office of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, which was to appoint the council, had no money to pay for such gigantic operation or assignment
“That was why nothing was done about it. But the files may be revisited now that they have left office, especially of those with prima facie cases against them.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that the commission in mid 2008 announced the setting up of a committee to investigate several petitions of alleged corrupt acts against the governors.
At the end of the exercise, 20 of the ex-governors, whose identities were not released by the commission, were allegedly found to have violated the ICPC Act.
Bako also told newsmen on Tuesday that the commission was awaiting the directive of the Federal Government on what to do with the assets recovered from the looters.
“We are not auctioning the assets. There is a body set up by the government to audit recovered assets all over the country and abroad.
“It is left for the government to decide thereafter; it is not for the individual anti-corruption agencies to dispose of anything,’’ he said. (NAN)
NAIJ.com had reported that ICPC arraigned one Eno Ofem before an Abuja high court, for alleged impersonation of the Presidency in the office of the chief of staff, Punch reports.
NAIJ.com gathered that the anti-graft agency said in a statement by its spokesperson, Rasheedat Okoduwa, that Ofem, who contested the 2015 National Assembly election and lost, was charged before Justice Valentine Ashi for duping some Nigerians of over N100 million.
Ofem, who was arraigned on six counts bordering on fraud allegedly promised some unsuspecting Nigerians that he could help them secure juicy appointments.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Coalition protests in Ilorin in support of IGP Idris
- Story Of Woman Who Was "Sacked" For Giving Birth To Triplets
- Medical Doctor turned Thief defrauds car dealer N28m, arrested by Police in Lagos
- Olisa Metuh Collapses In Court, Judge Reacts Angrily
- Woman Drugs, Kidnaps Friend After Luring Her To Hotel In Lagos
- Obasanjo visits Afenifere leaders: "We have to rescue Nigeria"
- You must marry corpse of our daughter – family tells boyfriend
- Explore Nigeria With These Top Four Tour Operators
- Buhari To Lead 1 Million Nigerians For Democracy Walk
- Dino Melaye: I Was Never Framed Up, Arraigned For Fighting GEJ
- Offa Robbery: Police Finally Nab Two Notorious Leaders
- Woman Rescued From Suspected Kidnappers, Ritualists In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Obasanjo identifies 4 ways to prevent insecurity
- CBN calls on bankers to address challenges of fintech
- LASU VC reaffirms fairness, transparency, accountability to stakeholders
- Nigerian Govt inaugurates new website to bring governance closer to citizens
- Lagos hits N34bn monthly IGR – Ashade
- I regret supporting Saraki for Senate President – Ndume
- Northern youths urge Buhari, Atiku not to contest in 2019
- After 30 days in medical custody, Melaye healthy enough to lambast Aso Rock
- Ohaneze’s latest declaration will scare many politicians
- 15 Nigerian agencies failed to remit N8.1 trillion under Jonathan
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- ‘Entrepreneurship Key To Poverty Alleviation’
- I Made First Class Despite Distractions - UNILAG’s valedictorian
- Female Suicide Bomber Captured Alive As Good Men Stop Her From Killing People
- I Sell My Guns To Anyone That Needs Them - Suspect opens up
- APC Moves To Stop Saraki, Dogara, Others From Leaving Party
- Presidency raises alarm: Rich & corrupt ganging up against Buhari
- Suspected Fulani Herdsmen Kill 6 Teachers In Benue
- 'APC Government Planning To Assassinate Me' - Gov. Wike
- Fashola To Lagos Govt.: Provide Land For Housing
- Young Cultists Raining Havoc In Nigerian Schools (DETAILS)
- I Will Die! Woman tears her dress after herdsman destroys cassava farm she took loan to cultivate
- God Is All You Need
- Man Kills Girlfriend For Money Ritual, Stuffs Her Body Inside Bucket In Lagos
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot