– For the first time official interbank market Dollar is selling at N307
For the first time on the official interbank market, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Monday, December 4, weakened the Naira marginally, selling dollars at N307 each, Daily Trust reports.
Traders say this could be a gradual move to merge its multiple exchange rates.
NAIJ.com gathered that the apex bank has sold $500,000 almost on daily basis on the official spot market since creating several exchange rates to alleviate dollar shortages.
The currency was going for the rates between N305 and N306 for months before Monday’s move.
Experta have called for the scrabbling of the multiple exchange rate, arguing that it encourages round tripping.
According to an earlier report by NAIJ.com, the naira appreciated by 30.3 per cent since February when the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) began its aggressive interventions at the foreign exchange market, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
The Nigerian currency had exchanged at N520 to the dollar at the peak of onslaughts by currency speculators before the CBN stated intervening by injecting foreign exchange in the market.
Can 1 Naira ever become 1 US dollar again on the Forex market?
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Inmates awaiting trial congest prisons
- Globacom, Teleology Holdings lead in acquisition of 9mobile
- Oando faults SEC over forensic audit
- APC federal lawmaker backs Fayose against Buhari, NGF
- ECWA exposes plot by FG, states to cripple Christianity in northern Nigeria
- Paris Club Refund: 9 states yet to benefit
- 90% of cooking gas cylinders are obsolete, says NLPGI
- FG begs PENGASSAN to shelve strike
- How Successes In Agric Is Diversifying Nigeria's Economy, by VP Osinbajo
- 4 Easy Ways to Improve Your Posture
- David Mark Denies Receiving, Sharing N2bn Campaign Fund
- Face of Lagos Lady, A Lawyer, Arrested For Assaulting Housemaid
- This Beautiful Nigerian Woman Is Missing
- SO SAD! Burial Poster of Daughter & Mother Who Died While Travelling To Prepare For Her Wedding
- Buhari Receives 75th Birthday Card from VP Osinbajo, APC Governors (Photos)
- Family Fight Dirty Over Late Female Bank Manager’s Wealth... abandon her corpse
- Robbers Attack NLC Chairman’s House, Abduct His Wife
- Why Many "Uneducated" People Are More Successful In Business
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Navy recovers 1330 jerry cans of PMS as oil thieves hideout raided
- Military retires 403 personnel
- How former Senate president came under probe
- Fulani herdsmen attack Urohi community, machete man in farm
- Nigeria’s foreign reserves up 42% year to date
- Atiku Opens Chicken Cottages Fast-Food In Abuja (Photos)
- Top 10 Richest Nigerians In 2017... and their Net Worth
- People Attacking Nigerian Pastors Are Misguided - Samklef
- God Has Not Revealed Anything About Atiku for 2019 – Fr. Mbaka
- Ogun State To Start Mass Sale of Ofada Rice (Photo)
- See Pump Action Rifles Destined For Nigeria Hidden In Sound Systems
- Ex-Niger Delta Militant Becomes Police Pilot, Decorated With New Rank (Photos)
- NUC Releases New Ranking of Best Nigerian Universities (Full List)
- Buhari Is Leading Nigeria To The Promised Land - Uzor Kalu
- Saraki, Senate, Move to Tackle Drug and Substance Abuse Across the Nation
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Gov. Yari blasts Fayose
- What FG has done to make governors clear salaries owed workers
- South West Rugby League rounds off on Saturday
- Soldier sentenced to death for killing civilians
- Obasanjo breaks records in NOUN