– For the first time official interbank market Dollar is selling at N307
For the first time on the official interbank market, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Monday, December 4, weakened the Naira marginally, selling dollars at N307 each, Daily Trust reports.
Traders say this could be a gradual move to merge its multiple exchange rates.
NAIJ.com gathered that the apex bank has sold $500,000 almost on daily basis on the official spot market since creating several exchange rates to alleviate dollar shortages.
The currency was going for the rates between N305 and N306 for months before Monday’s move.
Experta have called for the scrabbling of the multiple exchange rate, arguing that it encourages round tripping.
According to an earlier report by NAIJ.com, the naira appreciated by 30.3 per cent since February when the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) began its aggressive interventions at the foreign exchange market, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
The Nigerian currency had exchanged at N520 to the dollar at the peak of onslaughts by currency speculators before the CBN stated intervening by injecting foreign exchange in the market.
Can 1 Naira ever become 1 US dollar again on the Forex market?
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Order Saraki, Melaye, others to refund ‘illegal N13.5m allowance with interest’ – SERAP tells court
- Nigeria, Saudi Arabia in faceoff over attempts to block pilgrims
- Boateng: We can only stop Ronaldo as a team
- New corps members’ allowance dependent on new minimum wage – DG
- NSE marks Earth Day, seals corporate recycling MoU with RecyclePoints limited
- NCC withdraws 41m Starcomms, Zoom mobile, others numbers
- NBC accuses Daar Communications of violation, stops FM radio
- Herdsmen turn on Catholic church in Benue, kill 27 worshipers in 4 days
- Saraki, Senate abandon Melaye
- Zenith Bank’s Q1 results indicate strong improvements
- Henderson: Salah will stay to break more Liverpool records
- NSE: Equities record marginal decline, trend to continue if….
- 419 Gang Who Dupe People With Fake Currency Nabbed In Lagos
- Living The Life Of A True Christian Who Can Make Heaven
- Save Lagos Group laments infrastructure decay in primary schools
- Nigeria gets $1.5m interest on returned Abacha loot
- Who Left Over N1Billion In An Account But Can't Claim It?
- Ex-President Bush Hospitalized Days After Wife’s Death
- Offa Robbery Update: Affected Bank Sacks 5 Staff
- Man Escapes Tragic Death As Car Is Crushed By Big Truck
- There's A Plot To Kill Me - Dino Melaye Cries Out
- Offa Attack: Five bank staffers sacked; top police officers linked
- Bishop Oyedepo berates Buhari: Your government is a failure, God is angry with you
- The “approved” $1 billion for arms purchase
- Wading into the Oba-Emir Debate
- Melaye alleges plot to assassinate him
- Obama Foundation introduces new programme for emerging leaders in Africa
- APC Chairmanship: Oshiomhole’s candidature suffers setback
- Lagos Policemen Chased My Son To Death - Father
- Dino Melaye: They snatched my passport, I snatched it back
- EFCC Arrests Ibori’s Man, Senator Nwaoboshi Over N6B "Fraud"
- Lagos Security Man Arrested For Impregnating His Daughter
- Melaye trapped, helpless as police speaks on reinforced siege
- Dino Melaye surrenders
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Check out The Characteristics of a Good and Decent Hotel
- Saraki, Tambuwal Won’t Decamp To PDP - Governor
- Nigerian Lawmaker Loses 4 Kids, 7 Relatives In Fatal Accident
- Armed Policemen Storm Dino Melaye's House... Police give reason
- Lawmaker’s Suspension: What The Law Says