– For the first time official interbank market Dollar is selling at N307
For the first time on the official interbank market, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Monday, December 4, weakened the Naira marginally, selling dollars at N307 each, Daily Trust reports.
Traders say this could be a gradual move to merge its multiple exchange rates.
NAIJ.com gathered that the apex bank has sold $500,000 almost on daily basis on the official spot market since creating several exchange rates to alleviate dollar shortages.
The currency was going for the rates between N305 and N306 for months before Monday’s move.
Experta have called for the scrabbling of the multiple exchange rate, arguing that it encourages round tripping.
According to an earlier report by NAIJ.com, the naira appreciated by 30.3 per cent since February when the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) began its aggressive interventions at the foreign exchange market, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
The Nigerian currency had exchanged at N520 to the dollar at the peak of onslaughts by currency speculators before the CBN stated intervening by injecting foreign exchange in the market.
Can 1 Naira ever become 1 US dollar again on the Forex market?
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- World’s most wanted players are in Chelsea, PSG
- Med-view workers seek PenCom intervention over entitlements
- Nigerian Govt begins enrolment of military personnel on IPPIS
- The bitter truth about France lifting World Cup 2018
- 7 Challenges that will kill or make Ronaldo this season
- 2006 World Cup final: Why I sent off Zidane – Referee
- President Buhari’s war on terror; a grand deception
- The Ekiti election and 2019
- Neymar’s does underground work for Barcelona
- “Boko Haram: I receive N5,000 for facilitating each suicide bomb attack”
- "I'm Still In APC" - Governor Ortom says after meeting Oshiomhole
- Woman Finds Rat Trapped In Her Shop With Ring Round Its Neck
- Saraki "Bows" As He Meets Buhari, Osinbajo, APC Governors
- Rowdy Session In Senate Over 'Lopsided Appointments' By Buhari
- "I Want To Go Back To Prison To Rest" – Thief Nabbed In Lagos
- Agency In Abuja "Spent" Over N5bn On Fuel, DSTV Subscription
- Ekiti Governor-Elect Fayemi Visits President Buhari In Aso Rock
- Buhari Appoints Ex-CBN Deputy Governor, Tunde Lemo, As FERMA Chairman
- Woman Who Just Got Married Killed In Katsina Flood, Body Found In Niger Republic
- Dino Melaye Ignores Threats, Commissions Projects In Kogi (Pics)
- We Fear For 2019: Ekiti Election Was For The Highest Bidder, says Anti-Corruption Group
- How Robber Charmed SARS Operatives To Escape From Custody - Robber's Girlfriend
- British Man Plots To Kill Female Prime Minister (Pics & Details)
- Tanker Loaded With Petrol Falls & Spills Content In Lagos; Apapa Residents Raise Alarm
- Finally, FG unveils name, logo of new national carrier
- STRANGE! Female Student Becomes 'Possessed' During Lecture, Loses Consciousness
- All PDP Presidential Aspirants Meet Gov. Tambuwal In Sokoto
- APC crisis: 9 Governors, 31 Senators, 54 Reps, behind R-APC to unseat Buhari
- Another letter: OBJ attacks Buhari again
- Bride drowned in Katisna flood found in Niger Republic
- APC Replies PDP: We Dare You To Go To Court With Your Facts
- 2019: Saraki Meets 4 Governors, Top Politicians; To Dump APC?
- Married Woman Dies After Surgery To Increase Her Buttocks, Doctor On The Run
- Police Dismiss Inspector For Giving Out Information...
- Police Helicopter Threatening My Life - Fayose
- "This Is My First Time" - Kidnapper Begs, Reveals How Much He Got
- See The All New 2019 Honda Pilot (Photos)
- Actor Kenneth Okonkwo Declares To Contest For Governor In Enugu Under APC
- Most Wanted Armed Robber 'Agbara' Shot Dead By Police
- APC crisis: Secondus woes Gemade, Saraki, Tambuwal, Ortom, Ahmed