– Police spokesman Moshood said calls for scrapping of SARS are totally misplaced because the unit is doing well
– Moshood said those with complaints against police officers should go through proper channels to have their grievances appropriately attended to
– He noted also that contrary to widespread complaints, SARS ‘has no excesses’ at all
The move to get the Nigeria Police Force to scrap the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) over allegations of harassment has suffered a massive setback.
The Police said on Sunday, December 3 that it saw no reason to disband the unit because it was doing quite well in its given duties across the nation.
Police spokesman Jimoh Moshood said SARS has been doing well and moves to have the unit scrapped should be seriously condemned.
READ ALSO: Atiku announces return to PDP
He said: “As we speak, SARS is doing fantastically well across the country in reducing incidents of robbery to the barest minimum… they are doing very, very well.
“There has not been any specific violation of human rights against any SARS personnel. So anybody that is spreading such a rumour is not doing the nation any good.
“SARS has no excesses and when there is any, we do investigate.
“The call for SARS to be scrapped should be condemned by all well-meaning Nigerians. Anybody calling for their proscription is not doing the nation any good and such people should be suspected as having something to hide.”
Rather than attack SARS, Moshood urged Nigerians with complaints to pass through the proper channel for adequate attention.
“Accessibility (to the police in cases of complaints) is very possible.
“We do not take any infraction or violation of human right of any Nigerian likely. You know that so many police officers have been dismissed and even charged to court.
“So, Nigerians should not give in to insinuations from people that just come to the social media and start spreading falsehood. Such people spreading such information may likely be armed robbers themselves.
“There is laid down rules for police procedures and any police officer that go beyond boundary to do something outrageous which is against the law is apprehended.”
Earlier, NAIJ.com had reported that former vice president Abubakar Atiku has called for investigations into allegations of harassment leveled against SARS.
In a statement issued in series of tweets on his verified Twitter handle on Sunday, December 3, Atiku, a former Nigeria Customs Service top chief, noted that the allegations must be taken seriously by the police and the National Assembly.
While urging the two institutions to look into the allegations, he saluted Nigerian youths who started the hashtag movement on social media to raise awareness about the allegations.
Is the Nigerian police your friend? – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Questions Reuters, Aljazeera, the Economist, AP, others ask Lai about Atiku, PDP
- Omawumi Describes Buhari As "Incompetent Old Man"
- PDP Says Female Appeal Court President Is Close To APC
- Police Officers’ Wives Rescued From Deadly Kidnappers
- PDP Headquarters Gives Tambuwal Sokoto Guber Ticket
- Nigerian Prince Weds 2 Ladies Same Day In Delta (Photos)
- Obanikoro, 16 Others To Testify Against Fayose (DETAILS)
- Mbaka To Atiku: Don't Be Like Buhari If You Become President
- Tonto Dikeh's Sister Drinks Hypo To End Her Life?
- After working for APC; Omisore, Obanikoro, get their passports from EFCC
- Pastor Sleeping With Married Woman? 3 Corpses Found In His House (Photos)
- Dino Reacts To Shehu Sani Leaving APC At the Wrong Time
- More Troubles For Atiku From Igbo Leaders... Saraki intervenes
- Nnamdi Kanu Called Me, He Agreed To Work To Defeat Buhari - Fani-Kayode
- Polio Victim Who Just Finished NYSC Shares Touching Story
- Wife Cries Out As Her Husband Got Married To Another Lady
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ooni's New Wife Leads Praise & Worship In His Palace (Photos)
- Why APC Sen. Shehu Sani defects
- Female Corper Flogged Mercilessly By School Principal
- Shehu Sani Dumps APC... Gives Reasons
- Five-Star Jovic makes Bundesliga history
- Real Madrid striker denies involvement in alleged kidnapping attempt in Paris
- Klopp draws Anthony Joshua comparison in criticism of Nations League
- Court rejects Russian footballers’ appeal over attack
- Ghana withdraws from CAF competitions
- See How Buhari’s Poor Performance Is Elevating Atiku
- Ekweremadu May Dump PDP?
- Woman Cries Bitterly After Being Scammed By Yahoo Boy
- Saudi Arabia admits missing journalist died in Consulate
- N8.86bn debt: Bank battles late billionaire’s family
- Tenis star Sharapova confirms romance with Prince william
- Alexis Sanchez at Man Utd is a typical Torres at Chelsea – Carragher
- Copa del’ Rey decisive fixtures
- EFCC Keeps Mum On Gov. Ganduje Bribe Video
- Atiku Meets Yoruba Leaders Over Top Political Offices
- PDP Warns INEC Against Receiving Unauthorized Names
- Confusion over Travel Ban List as Presidency, Security differ
- NAFDAC Searching For Drugs Made From Human Flesh
- EFCC stacks allegation, evidence against Fayose in court