– Police spokesman Moshood said calls for scrapping of SARS are totally misplaced because the unit is doing well
– Moshood said those with complaints against police officers should go through proper channels to have their grievances appropriately attended to
– He noted also that contrary to widespread complaints, SARS ‘has no excesses’ at all
The move to get the Nigeria Police Force to scrap the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) over allegations of harassment has suffered a massive setback.
The Police said on Sunday, December 3 that it saw no reason to disband the unit because it was doing quite well in its given duties across the nation.
Police spokesman Jimoh Moshood said SARS has been doing well and moves to have the unit scrapped should be seriously condemned.
READ ALSO: Atiku announces return to PDP
He said: “As we speak, SARS is doing fantastically well across the country in reducing incidents of robbery to the barest minimum… they are doing very, very well.
“There has not been any specific violation of human rights against any SARS personnel. So anybody that is spreading such a rumour is not doing the nation any good.
“SARS has no excesses and when there is any, we do investigate.
“The call for SARS to be scrapped should be condemned by all well-meaning Nigerians. Anybody calling for their proscription is not doing the nation any good and such people should be suspected as having something to hide.”
Rather than attack SARS, Moshood urged Nigerians with complaints to pass through the proper channel for adequate attention.
“Accessibility (to the police in cases of complaints) is very possible.
“We do not take any infraction or violation of human right of any Nigerian likely. You know that so many police officers have been dismissed and even charged to court.
“So, Nigerians should not give in to insinuations from people that just come to the social media and start spreading falsehood. Such people spreading such information may likely be armed robbers themselves.
“There is laid down rules for police procedures and any police officer that go beyond boundary to do something outrageous which is against the law is apprehended.”
Earlier, NAIJ.com had reported that former vice president Abubakar Atiku has called for investigations into allegations of harassment leveled against SARS.
In a statement issued in series of tweets on his verified Twitter handle on Sunday, December 3, Atiku, a former Nigeria Customs Service top chief, noted that the allegations must be taken seriously by the police and the National Assembly.
While urging the two institutions to look into the allegations, he saluted Nigerian youths who started the hashtag movement on social media to raise awareness about the allegations.
Is the Nigerian police your friend? – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Order Saraki, Melaye, others to refund ‘illegal N13.5m allowance with interest’ – SERAP tells court
- Nigeria, Saudi Arabia in faceoff over attempts to block pilgrims
- Boateng: We can only stop Ronaldo as a team
- New corps members’ allowance dependent on new minimum wage – DG
- NSE marks Earth Day, seals corporate recycling MoU with RecyclePoints limited
- NCC withdraws 41m Starcomms, Zoom mobile, others numbers
- NBC accuses Daar Communications of violation, stops FM radio
- Herdsmen turn on Catholic church in Benue, kill 27 worshipers in 4 days
- Saraki, Senate abandon Melaye
- Zenith Bank’s Q1 results indicate strong improvements
- Henderson: Salah will stay to break more Liverpool records
- NSE: Equities record marginal decline, trend to continue if….
- 419 Gang Who Dupe People With Fake Currency Nabbed In Lagos
- Living The Life Of A True Christian Who Can Make Heaven
- Save Lagos Group laments infrastructure decay in primary schools
- Nigeria gets $1.5m interest on returned Abacha loot
- Who Left Over N1Billion In An Account But Can't Claim It?
- Ex-President Bush Hospitalized Days After Wife’s Death
- Offa Robbery Update: Affected Bank Sacks 5 Staff
- Man Escapes Tragic Death As Car Is Crushed By Big Truck
- There's A Plot To Kill Me - Dino Melaye Cries Out
- Offa Attack: Five bank staffers sacked; top police officers linked
- Bishop Oyedepo berates Buhari: Your government is a failure, God is angry with you
- The “approved” $1 billion for arms purchase
- Wading into the Oba-Emir Debate
- Melaye alleges plot to assassinate him
- Obama Foundation introduces new programme for emerging leaders in Africa
- APC Chairmanship: Oshiomhole’s candidature suffers setback
- Lagos Policemen Chased My Son To Death - Father
- Dino Melaye: They snatched my passport, I snatched it back
- EFCC Arrests Ibori’s Man, Senator Nwaoboshi Over N6B "Fraud"
- Lagos Security Man Arrested For Impregnating His Daughter
- Melaye trapped, helpless as police speaks on reinforced siege
- Dino Melaye surrenders
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Check out The Characteristics of a Good and Decent Hotel
- Saraki, Tambuwal Won’t Decamp To PDP - Governor
- Nigerian Lawmaker Loses 4 Kids, 7 Relatives In Fatal Accident
- Armed Policemen Storm Dino Melaye's House... Police give reason
- Lawmaker’s Suspension: What The Law Says