– Police spokesman Moshood said calls for scrapping of SARS are totally misplaced because the unit is doing well
– Moshood said those with complaints against police officers should go through proper channels to have their grievances appropriately attended to
– He noted also that contrary to widespread complaints, SARS ‘has no excesses’ at all
The move to get the Nigeria Police Force to scrap the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) over allegations of harassment has suffered a massive setback.
The Police said on Sunday, December 3 that it saw no reason to disband the unit because it was doing quite well in its given duties across the nation.
Police spokesman Jimoh Moshood said SARS has been doing well and moves to have the unit scrapped should be seriously condemned.
READ ALSO: Atiku announces return to PDP
He said: “As we speak, SARS is doing fantastically well across the country in reducing incidents of robbery to the barest minimum… they are doing very, very well.
“There has not been any specific violation of human rights against any SARS personnel. So anybody that is spreading such a rumour is not doing the nation any good.
“SARS has no excesses and when there is any, we do investigate.
“The call for SARS to be scrapped should be condemned by all well-meaning Nigerians. Anybody calling for their proscription is not doing the nation any good and such people should be suspected as having something to hide.”
Rather than attack SARS, Moshood urged Nigerians with complaints to pass through the proper channel for adequate attention.
“Accessibility (to the police in cases of complaints) is very possible.
“We do not take any infraction or violation of human right of any Nigerian likely. You know that so many police officers have been dismissed and even charged to court.
“So, Nigerians should not give in to insinuations from people that just come to the social media and start spreading falsehood. Such people spreading such information may likely be armed robbers themselves.
“There is laid down rules for police procedures and any police officer that go beyond boundary to do something outrageous which is against the law is apprehended.”
Earlier, NAIJ.com had reported that former vice president Abubakar Atiku has called for investigations into allegations of harassment leveled against SARS.
In a statement issued in series of tweets on his verified Twitter handle on Sunday, December 3, Atiku, a former Nigeria Customs Service top chief, noted that the allegations must be taken seriously by the police and the National Assembly.
While urging the two institutions to look into the allegations, he saluted Nigerian youths who started the hashtag movement on social media to raise awareness about the allegations.
Is the Nigerian police your friend? – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- World’s most wanted players are in Chelsea, PSG
- Med-view workers seek PenCom intervention over entitlements
- Nigerian Govt begins enrolment of military personnel on IPPIS
- The bitter truth about France lifting World Cup 2018
- 7 Challenges that will kill or make Ronaldo this season
- 2006 World Cup final: Why I sent off Zidane – Referee
- President Buhari’s war on terror; a grand deception
- The Ekiti election and 2019
- Neymar’s does underground work for Barcelona
- “Boko Haram: I receive N5,000 for facilitating each suicide bomb attack”
- "I'm Still In APC" - Governor Ortom says after meeting Oshiomhole
- Woman Finds Rat Trapped In Her Shop With Ring Round Its Neck
- Saraki "Bows" As He Meets Buhari, Osinbajo, APC Governors
- Rowdy Session In Senate Over 'Lopsided Appointments' By Buhari
- "I Want To Go Back To Prison To Rest" – Thief Nabbed In Lagos
- Agency In Abuja "Spent" Over N5bn On Fuel, DSTV Subscription
- Ekiti Governor-Elect Fayemi Visits President Buhari In Aso Rock
- Buhari Appoints Ex-CBN Deputy Governor, Tunde Lemo, As FERMA Chairman
- Woman Who Just Got Married Killed In Katsina Flood, Body Found In Niger Republic
- Dino Melaye Ignores Threats, Commissions Projects In Kogi (Pics)
- We Fear For 2019: Ekiti Election Was For The Highest Bidder, says Anti-Corruption Group
- How Robber Charmed SARS Operatives To Escape From Custody - Robber's Girlfriend
- British Man Plots To Kill Female Prime Minister (Pics & Details)
- Tanker Loaded With Petrol Falls & Spills Content In Lagos; Apapa Residents Raise Alarm
- Finally, FG unveils name, logo of new national carrier
- STRANGE! Female Student Becomes 'Possessed' During Lecture, Loses Consciousness
- All PDP Presidential Aspirants Meet Gov. Tambuwal In Sokoto
- APC crisis: 9 Governors, 31 Senators, 54 Reps, behind R-APC to unseat Buhari
- Another letter: OBJ attacks Buhari again
- Bride drowned in Katisna flood found in Niger Republic
- APC Replies PDP: We Dare You To Go To Court With Your Facts
- 2019: Saraki Meets 4 Governors, Top Politicians; To Dump APC?
- Married Woman Dies After Surgery To Increase Her Buttocks, Doctor On The Run
- Police Dismiss Inspector For Giving Out Information...
- Police Helicopter Threatening My Life - Fayose
- "This Is My First Time" - Kidnapper Begs, Reveals How Much He Got
- See The All New 2019 Honda Pilot (Photos)
- Actor Kenneth Okonkwo Declares To Contest For Governor In Enugu Under APC
- Most Wanted Armed Robber 'Agbara' Shot Dead By Police
- APC crisis: Secondus woes Gemade, Saraki, Tambuwal, Ortom, Ahmed