– Police spokesman Moshood said calls for scrapping of SARS are totally misplaced because the unit is doing well
– Moshood said those with complaints against police officers should go through proper channels to have their grievances appropriately attended to
– He noted also that contrary to widespread complaints, SARS ‘has no excesses’ at all
The move to get the Nigeria Police Force to scrap the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) over allegations of harassment has suffered a massive setback.
The Police said on Sunday, December 3 that it saw no reason to disband the unit because it was doing quite well in its given duties across the nation.
Police spokesman Jimoh Moshood said SARS has been doing well and moves to have the unit scrapped should be seriously condemned.
READ ALSO: Atiku announces return to PDP
He said: “As we speak, SARS is doing fantastically well across the country in reducing incidents of robbery to the barest minimum… they are doing very, very well.
“There has not been any specific violation of human rights against any SARS personnel. So anybody that is spreading such a rumour is not doing the nation any good.
“SARS has no excesses and when there is any, we do investigate.
“The call for SARS to be scrapped should be condemned by all well-meaning Nigerians. Anybody calling for their proscription is not doing the nation any good and such people should be suspected as having something to hide.”
Rather than attack SARS, Moshood urged Nigerians with complaints to pass through the proper channel for adequate attention.
“Accessibility (to the police in cases of complaints) is very possible.
“We do not take any infraction or violation of human right of any Nigerian likely. You know that so many police officers have been dismissed and even charged to court.
“So, Nigerians should not give in to insinuations from people that just come to the social media and start spreading falsehood. Such people spreading such information may likely be armed robbers themselves.
“There is laid down rules for police procedures and any police officer that go beyond boundary to do something outrageous which is against the law is apprehended.”
Earlier, NAIJ.com had reported that former vice president Abubakar Atiku has called for investigations into allegations of harassment leveled against SARS.
In a statement issued in series of tweets on his verified Twitter handle on Sunday, December 3, Atiku, a former Nigeria Customs Service top chief, noted that the allegations must be taken seriously by the police and the National Assembly.
While urging the two institutions to look into the allegations, he saluted Nigerian youths who started the hashtag movement on social media to raise awareness about the allegations.
Is the Nigerian police your friend? – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Inmates awaiting trial congest prisons
- Globacom, Teleology Holdings lead in acquisition of 9mobile
- Oando faults SEC over forensic audit
- APC federal lawmaker backs Fayose against Buhari, NGF
- ECWA exposes plot by FG, states to cripple Christianity in northern Nigeria
- Paris Club Refund: 9 states yet to benefit
- 90% of cooking gas cylinders are obsolete, says NLPGI
- FG begs PENGASSAN to shelve strike
- How Successes In Agric Is Diversifying Nigeria's Economy, by VP Osinbajo
- 4 Easy Ways to Improve Your Posture
- David Mark Denies Receiving, Sharing N2bn Campaign Fund
- Face of Lagos Lady, A Lawyer, Arrested For Assaulting Housemaid
- This Beautiful Nigerian Woman Is Missing
- SO SAD! Burial Poster of Daughter & Mother Who Died While Travelling To Prepare For Her Wedding
- Buhari Receives 75th Birthday Card from VP Osinbajo, APC Governors (Photos)
- Family Fight Dirty Over Late Female Bank Manager’s Wealth... abandon her corpse
- Robbers Attack NLC Chairman’s House, Abduct His Wife
- Why Many "Uneducated" People Are More Successful In Business
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Navy recovers 1330 jerry cans of PMS as oil thieves hideout raided
- Military retires 403 personnel
- How former Senate president came under probe
- Fulani herdsmen attack Urohi community, machete man in farm
- Nigeria’s foreign reserves up 42% year to date
- Atiku Opens Chicken Cottages Fast-Food In Abuja (Photos)
- Top 10 Richest Nigerians In 2017... and their Net Worth
- People Attacking Nigerian Pastors Are Misguided - Samklef
- God Has Not Revealed Anything About Atiku for 2019 – Fr. Mbaka
- Ogun State To Start Mass Sale of Ofada Rice (Photo)
- See Pump Action Rifles Destined For Nigeria Hidden In Sound Systems
- Ex-Niger Delta Militant Becomes Police Pilot, Decorated With New Rank (Photos)
- NUC Releases New Ranking of Best Nigerian Universities (Full List)
- Buhari Is Leading Nigeria To The Promised Land - Uzor Kalu
- Saraki, Senate, Move to Tackle Drug and Substance Abuse Across the Nation
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Gov. Yari blasts Fayose
- What FG has done to make governors clear salaries owed workers
- South West Rugby League rounds off on Saturday
- Soldier sentenced to death for killing civilians
- Obasanjo breaks records in NOUN